Reload this Page >

WTH???? Flintstones on SCI FI????

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-30-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Why were they showing the Flintstones movie on Sci Fi? Could this network become any more of a joke? First it can't decide if it's a horror network or a sci fi network then this? Are they now going for the ABC Family audience?
Old 07-01-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There also going for the German audience, Knight Rider 2000 was on earlier today.
Old 07-01-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bonnie Hammer is slowly destroying whats left of the SciFI Channel.

D
Old 07-01-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're laughable. It's sad that I can get about as much Sci-Fi programming in one night on Showtime than I get in a whole week on the Misnomer Channel.

das
Old 07-01-02, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: WTH???? Flintstones on SCI FI????

Originally posted by calhoun07
Why were they showing the Flintstones movie on Sci Fi?
The live action one or one of the animated cartoons?

If it was a cartoon one it better have been the Flintstones/Jetsons crossover movie (since that would technically be a sci-fi movie)

If it was the live action one.....may godhave mercy on Sci-Fi channels souls
Old 07-01-02, 10:11 AM

Yeah what the hell? Except for Farscape and SG-1 there is nothing of any interest on Sci Fi these days. They reshow the same stuff over and over again. I remember Bionic Woman and Sxi million dollar man were on for about three or four straight years - a problem since there were like 30 shows of each.

Flintstones?
Old 07-01-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Of course Flintstones is sci-fi... it's fiction based on scientific principles (dinosaurs, etc). Jurassic Park is scifi too.

It's Sci Fi network, not Outer Space Network.
Old 07-01-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by GuessWho
Of course Flintstones is sci-fi... it's fiction based on scientific principles (dinosaurs, etc). Jurassic Park is scifi too.

It's Sci Fi network, not Outer Space Network.
Elephants used as showers does not qualify as "scientific principle." The sci-fi genre should not extend to Friends simply because they own a microwave.

das
Old 07-01-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to understand something about the SciFi channel. It is run by the same trained monkeys that run Comedy Central and Fox.

The title of this thread could easily read "WTH???? Gremlins on CC????" That movie was not a comedy, even though it may have had a couple of laughs. The Flintstones is not Science Fiction (though it can loosely be defined as Fantasy, which is within the same genre more often than not). I'd classify it as horror due to the fact that Rosie O'Donnell's running around in a tight little blue dress all throughout.
Old 07-01-02, 01:22 PM

It's not really surprising. Any network that would cancel MST3K obviously doesn't know what it's doing.
Old 07-01-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by redskull
It's not really surprising. Any network that would cancel MST3K obviously doesn't know what it's doing.
that's when I gave up...
Old 07-01-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

Elephants used as showers does not qualify as "scientific principle." The sci-fi genre should not extend to Friends simply because they own a microwave.

das
Old 07-01-02, 08:05 PM

The Great Gazoo

He's an alien and alien == sci-fi.

Ignore the cavemen.
Old 07-02-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by larryw
The Great Gazoo

He's an alien and alien == sci-fi.
I forgot him, he would make the series into a "sci-fi" show...well, at least the shows he's in anyway.

Wait, I got it. The Flintstones is Sci-fi because cavemen really didnt exsist when dinosaurs were around so thats "fiction"

and the sci part? uh....they made cars out of wood and stone?
Old 07-02-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1) this was the live action, not the Jetsons meet the Flintstones one

2) This is the first one, not the crappy sequel (and the one with the Great Gazoo.)

So, if the Flintstones is sci fi because dinosaurs are in it (recreating dinosaurs from DNA is more sci fi than the Flintstones, btw), then does this mean Cartoon Network will be letting the animated series air on Sci Fi real soon?

And the movie that aired before Flintstones? Addams Family! The only remotely sci fi aspect of that movie is that Lois Addams was played by the same actress who played Lumpy, Chewbacca's son in the Star Wars Holiday Special. And there are sci fi connections with other actors in the movie, also, I am sure. You are certainly stretching things real thin if you argue that the live action Flintstones movie has a right to be on the Sci Fi network but there is nothing in the Addams Family that is remotely sci fi.
Old 07-02-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
You are certainly stretching things real thin if you argue that the live action Flintstones movie has a right to be on the Sci Fi network but there is nothing in the Addams Family that is remotely sci fi.
Nah, im joking.

But i feel my reasons for why the movie was on Sci-fi are probably better than any of the reasons anyone at Sci-fi channel would give.

I dunno about that Addams Family movie, didnt Uncle Fester survive going through a Hurricane and in the 2nd he was electrocuted in the tub? I'd say Uncle Fester is immortal.

being immortal = sci-fi

Old 07-03-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody mentioned Bonnie Hammer earlier. I assume she is president of the network. When did she take over the network and why is she dilluting the network? It worked real well as a Sci Fi network, but right now I feel it could splinter into two distinct networks (horror and sci fi). Leave the live action cartoon movies for ABC Family. Who is this Bonnie Hammer and why is she doing this to Sci Fi?
Old 07-03-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thing = hand = impossible = sci fi!

I think your american sci fi network is laughable.

Up here in Canada, on Space, our Sci Fi/Fantasy Channel we get everything. Every single Star Trek, movies ranging from Forbidden Planet to Planet of the Apes, to Fifth Element... TV shows ranging from Quantuam Leap, to Lost in Space, to Lexx, to Farscape, to Highlander, to Buffy and Angel...

It's a REAL sci fi network.
Old 07-03-02, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
Up here in Canada, on Space, our Sci Fi/Fantasy Channel we get everything. Every single Star Trek, movies ranging from Forbidden Planet to Planet of the Apes, to Fifth Element... TV shows ranging from Quantuam Leap, to Lost in Space, to Lexx, to Farscape, to Highlander, to Buffy and Angel...

Wow, that IS a Sci-Fi channel!!!

You sure you dont want some Flintsotnes or Addams Family on with your Star Trek? How about some Full House to go with your Lexx?

And speaking of Lexx, the orginal chick should have stayed on the show. (Eva Haberman,the blue haired one) She was much hotter than the woman on the show now.
Old 07-03-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think your american sci fi network is laughable.
It is. I wish I could get Space over satellite or something.

calhoun07, Bonnie Hammer is an evil evil monster. She was created in a lab to destroy mankind. That, ironically, is sci-fi.

das
Old 07-03-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda sounds like what the Sci-Fi Channel was like about 5-10 years ago, before it turned into the "Just Like USA Network Except We Show A Few More Programs With Space Ships" Channel.

I couldn't believe the movies that they were showing this weekend. Addams Family? Knight Rider 2000? The freakin' Flintstones?!?
Old 07-03-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I just think that if you're going to have a sci fi channel... you put sci fi on it... it's like those channels that have classics like Bewitched and Mash and Gilligan's Island. You don't throw in Becker...

At the same time, you wouldn't not have Mash (doesn't Sci Fi not even have Star Trek?)

I mean, Space is lucky because it's "Just some Canadian network" and can get current shows like Enterprise or Farscape and Angel because the US networks think they're allowing their shows to be seen by more people.
Old 02-10-03, 12:53 PM
Banned

They showed the Flintstones again read this thread below.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=270161
Old 02-10-03, 01:55 PM

Sci-Fi is as much of a mis-naming of that network as is American Movie CLASSICS, the place where you can see Elvis in Clambake and Porky's.
Old 02-10-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I have no problem with them showing horror films. I mean they showed "Dead and Buried" once at 4:30 during the day. Where else are you going to see that? Most of the horror they do show is either forgotten cult classics or really bad DTV films. They showed Dog Soilders before it came out on video to the U.S. Plus they kept the gore intact. So I wouldn't really complain about them showing horror films. Even if it is something with a living human as the killer. Alot of those movies you won't see anywhere else.

But your right, they should just stick to Sci-Fi and horror.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.