Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The F/X Buffy Re-runs discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Buffy General Discussion

I'm on the fourth episode from season one (Teacher's Pet). I have heard a lot about this show and have the premium channels but I'd never seen an episode (along with The Sopranos, Oz, and Sex and the City). Since there's now a Netflix Express in my grocery store (see my thread in the Store Forum) I picked this up yesterday while The Sopranos came in and I LOVE it (I'm at the point in the episode where
Spoiler:
she finds the dead teacher in the refrigerator. I think I've got it figured out: the teacher is a praying mantis who killed him to get back at him because he kept insects captive. She's laid eggs and is looking for a male student to fertilize them).

Again, this show is AWESOME. I can't wait to see the other seasons (well, finish this one first). I didn't even want to watch it like I do the Sopranos, S&TC, and Oz. I'm so glad I picked it up, I was hooked from the first episode.
Old 06-30-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're that excited about "Teacher's Pet"... wow, hold on to your hat, it's going to be a wild ride.

Also, as a general warning, you should avoid the extras and commentaries from the season 1 DVDs until you've at least seen all of season two (maybe 3). They were obviously thinking of the established Buffy fan while making the extras on the discs and not about the people who would be discovering this show for the first time on DVD.
Old 06-30-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey thanks for the warning! I'll hold off on the extras.

Well I'm excited about ALL the episodes, I just couldn't hold off posting anymore From the first scene in the first episode I've loved this show.
Old 06-30-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it ever seem like the show gives BIG clues?
Spoiler:
The teacher being the insect, Owen being the anointed (haven't confirmed that yet, Buffy's about to go out on her date.
Old 06-30-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Behold ... the power of Buffy. Add Babylon 5 to your list. Along with Buffy, it's mocked and criticized by the ignorant masses, but no human can watch them from the beginning and not fall completely under their spell. Glad to have another Buffy fan among us. Like has been said, if you like them now ... ho, boy ... you're in for a treat.

das
Old 06-30-02, 09:11 PM
MrN

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Does it ever seem like the show gives BIG clues?
Spoiler:
The teacher being the insect, Owen being the anointed (haven't confirmed that yet, Buffy's about to go out on her date.

Wow, if the first season can surprise you, just you wait....

I predict that after watching the season 2 box set, you will be seeking out the F/X schedule. Hope you can catch up in time for fall...
Old 06-30-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is f/x's website please? Just finished Angel, and I started the boxset yesterday night.
Old 06-30-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
click here http://fxnetworks.com/shows/hits/buffy.html and go to full schedual to get the entire schedule until late august. or just go to www.fxnetworks.com
Old 06-30-02, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: Buffy General Discussion

I'm on the fourth episode from season one (Teacher's Pet). I have heard a lot about this show and have the premium channels but I'd never seen an episode (along with The Sopranos, Oz, and Sex and the City).
Buffy is not on the premium (HBO) channels like the others you mentioned. It is on UPN and others in syndicate (as well as several others with re-runs)...
Old 06-30-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
she probably doesnt get upn/wb or you have to pay extra to get those stations on her cable/satilite system.
Old 06-30-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Re: Buffy General Discussion

Originally posted by The Cow

Buffy is not on the premium (HBO) channels like the others you mentioned. It is on UPN and others in syndicate (as well as several others with re-runs)...
UPN and WB don't have 100% national coverage like the Big Three, the smaller your town the smaller your chances of getting these two networks becomes.
Old 06-30-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have WB (http://www.cox.com/LasVegas/DigitalT...l%20Lineup.asp) and probably UPN called something else, but I don't tune in
Old 06-30-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I are watching season two of Buffy.

If you love season one, then you will be dropping your jaw over season two.

The writing is very strong. We just finished watching "What's My Line part one"

We're leaving part two until tomorrow after we get home from work.

Damn is this a fantastic show, or what!

I rue the day I watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer the movie. It sure put me off watching the Television show.

Big, big mistake.

Now, season two is very strong, very well written,sooooooooooo, does the show drop in quality from there, or has the show stayed constantly good throughout?

What season is it on now? six, seven?

And, is Angel a good show? How good is it compared to Buffy?

Spoiler:
Spike is an awesome villian.Hope he doesn't go the way of The Master
Old 07-01-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please explain this from "Me Robot, You Jane" :
Spoiler:
What's with the "At least I don't dangle corkscrews from my ear" "That's not where I dangle them from either" banter? I had just finished watching Season 1 Episode 1 of The Sopranos so you know what image that brought up

Also did anyone notice
Spoiler:
the computer teacher typed the "B" of the second sentence before Giles started reading it?
Old 07-01-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by smokedragon
What season is it on now? six, seven?

And, is Angel a good show? How good is it compared to Buffy?
It's entering the 7th (and likely final) season next Fall.

As for Angel, you'll get a wide array of opinions, so you just have to see for yourself. Personally, I think it's almost as strong, but my heart belongs to Buffy. The themes of good/evil and choices/consequences are similar, however the approach is slightly different. The best way I can describe it is through the title characters: Buffy is about finding your place in this world, and Angel is more about redemption and facing the consequences (good and bad) of your past actions. Angel is definitely a different show. It's not just another Buffy with some spin-off characters. It has its own identity and its own unique presentation. Some like it more; some like it less. I certainly recommend checking it out. While my heart belongs to Buffy, Angel is still a very strong show IMO.

das
Old 07-01-02, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

It's entering the 7th (and likely final) season next Fall.

As for Angel, you'll get a wide array of opinions, so you just have to see for yourself. Personally, I think it's almost as strong, but my heart belongs to Buffy. The themes of good/evil and choices/consequences are similar, however the approach is slightly different. The best way I can describe it is through the title characters: Buffy is about finding your place in this world, and Angel is more about redemption and facing the consequences (good and bad) of your past actions. Angel is definitely a different show. It's not just another Buffy with some spin-off characters. It has its own identity and its own unique presentation. Some like it more; some like it less. I certainly recommend checking it out. While my heart belongs to Buffy, Angel is still a very strong show IMO.

das
ITA w/ das here. When it was first announced that Angel was going to be a series, I really thought that I might not watch it. Mostly because I didn't love the Angel character on BtVS; however, I did give it a shot and I cannot tell you how glad I am. It gets better w/ each subsequent season. I am firmly in the "loved season 3" camp. It is definitely my second favorite show on television .

Oh. And hell yeah, if you are amazed and delighted at seasons 1 and 2 of BtVS, you have definitely signed on for the long haul. You won't be able to turn back now .
Old 07-01-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by smokedragon

I rue the day I watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer the movie. It sure put me off watching the Television show.

Big, big mistake.
How right you are.

I saw the movie when it came out and its lameness made me figure the show would be worse. I didn't start watching it until about a third of the way into the third season when the buzz finally caught up to me. I loved finally being able to catch up on my missed episodes on FX last year. And while I don't buy very many TV series on DVD I will absolutely buy every season of Buffy. And Angel too.
Old 07-01-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the same boat. I *hated* the movie with a passion. I never saw it in the theaters because it just looked like something I wouldn't be able to get into. Then I saw that two of my favorite actors were in it. Donald Suthreland and Rutgar Hauer. So, I finally borrowed it from a friend and what didn't work for me it that it was *too* campy. Never scared me at all.

I actually got into the show because I was surfing one day in the summer between seasons 2 and 3 and I saw a show with Armin Shimmerman in it. I've always liked him. It was the Puppet Show and although I really wasn't wowed by it, I did see that it was Buffy. All I could think was they made a show out of that lame-a$$ movie? Yuck! Well, the next ep I saw was What's My Line Part 1 and I was hooked from that point forward. I have since officially caught up and this is my current favorite show that's on. Followed by Angel.

Also, for those who like this show and have not checked out Babylon 5 aka B5, I agree with das, see it. All of it. You will be amazed.
Old 07-01-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"And so it begins..."
Old 07-01-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
"And so it begins..."

das
Old 07-01-02, 10:41 AM

"The Pack" is my Favorite from season one. I miss the "short story" feel Buffy used to have - instead of it's current soap opera feel. I still don't miss an episode!!!!
Old 07-02-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please explain this from "Me Robot, You Jane" :
Spoiler:
What's with the "At least I don't dangle corkscrews from my ear" "That's not where I dangle them from either" banter? I had just finished watching Season 1 Episode 1 of The Sopranos so you know what image that brought up

Also did anyone notice
Spoiler:
the computer teacher typed the "B" of the second sentence before Giles started reading it?
Well?!

One episode to go from Season 1. Now to beg Netflix to carry Season 2 or to get them to unpack it if they already have it

How many seasons are on DVD?

2 hours a day... 16 hours per season of the Sopranos... 2 days free a week... in two weeks I should be done with both seasons Then it's Sex and the City, Oz, Monty Python, then maybe I'll check out some movies
Old 07-02-02, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW anyone notice that in "Me Robot... You Jane" shows Buffy as being born in 1979 while in "Nightmares" it shows her as being born in 1981?

Just saw the last episode....

Spoiler:
DID BUFFY REALLY DIE?!!??!?!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-02-02 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-02-02, 03:32 AM

Gatordeb,

In the U.S. only seasons 1 and 2 of BtVS are available on DVD. In Europe/Australia seasons 1-4 are available. They also have seasons 1 & 2 of Angel available over there. I have all of them. I absolutely love all the extras. Joss, of course, gives the best commentary.

Also,
Spoiler:
yes, Deb, Buffy really did die for a minute or two. Good thing Xander was around, huh?
Old 07-02-02, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by writteninstars
Gatordeb,

In the U.S. only seasons 1 and 2 of BtVS are available on DVD. In Europe/Australia seasons 1-4 are available. They also have seasons 1 & 2 of Angel available over there. I have all of them. I absolutely love all the extras. Joss, of course, gives the best commentary.

Also,
Spoiler:
yes, Deb, Buffy really did die for a minute or two. Good thing Xander was around, huh?
you should mention to view seasons 3-4 on dvd you need a region free dvd player.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.