Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Show wasnt funny

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-02, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Show wasnt funny

maybe its because i have expected too much of this dvd. But regardless of the reason, i still feel that the whole thing blew. i didnt even laugh ONCE. no joke. hopefully, my future purchase of Monty Python and the Holy Grail wont leave me feeling the same as the mediocre "Mr.Show" has.
Old 06-26-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you did not like Mr. Show, you will probably not like Monty Python, since their comedies are based on a similar premise. Mr. Show, unlike most SNL or MADTV skits, is based on irony and political farce, it also seems to be aimed at a more "literary" audience--one well-read in literature and philosophy. Their comedy is subtle, but so subtle it had me rolling on the floor, more than a few times...

The way that the separate skits blend together to create a unitary whole is simply classic...
Old 06-26-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Mr Show is one of those things you either get or you don't. I really enjoyed it, but I've got friends who didn't. It kind of depends on the comedy you like. Mr Show seems not to appeal to people who like the more straightforward comedy style. I wont be surprised if you don't end of liking Monty Python either.
Old 06-26-02, 08:22 PM

Personally I think it gets funnier after each viewing, but I'm sorry you didn't like it. I think it may be a required taste.
Old 06-26-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by SideShow
Personally I think it gets funnier after each viewing, but I'm sorry you didn't like it. I think it may be a required taste.
Acquired taste maybe? Although the world might be a better place if Mr. Show was required in every child's classroom...
Old 06-26-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by diacritic
If you did not like Mr. Show, you will probably not like Monty Python, since their comedies are based on a similar premise. Mr. Show, unlike most SNL or MADTV skits, is based on irony and political farce, it also seems to be aimed at a more "literary" audience--one well-read in literature and philosophy. Their comedy is subtle, but so subtle it had me rolling on the floor, more than a few times...

The way that the separate skits blend together to create a unitary whole is simply classic...
I watched Mr. Show when it was first in. I didn't think it was terrible, but also didn't find it terribly funny. I watched it a lot, because I really wanted to like it, and like the stars of the show in other settings.

On the other hand, I love Holy Grail. Subtle it's not, though.

The well-read in literature comment is insulting and unnecesary--just because someone doesn't like something you like is no reason to be nasty.
Old 06-26-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gregschmidt

The well-read in literature comment is insulting and unnecesary--just because someone doesn't like something you like is no reason to be nasty.
I hardly think it was insulting, nor am I trying to be in any way elitist. The fact is that in order to catch all the references--and to find the references funny--one must have already read some of the books/authors subtly or directly referred to (or made fun of) in the show . . .
Old 06-26-02, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
It's insulting to me. I am pretty well read and get the jokes, I just don't think they're funny.

Going to shut up now before we start listing everything we've read.

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-26-02 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 08:46 PM

A true intellectual would not feel that way.
Old 06-26-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I apologize if I what i said was insulting to anyone

Let me rephrase: the show is aimed at a certain group of people who have had certain experiences that they can then easily relate to what is going on in the show.

Even if the viewer is able to relate her life experiences to what is depicted on the screen does not necessarily mean that she will find it funny. It is also very likely that someone whose life experiences do not match up to the references in Mr. Show will, contrarily to all expectations, find the show to be very funny.

There is no reason for anyone to be insulted, whether or not their experiences are on par with the references in Mr. Show.

I seem to be annoying everyone today. It's my fault; I am still upset about my team's loss to Brazil today in the World Cup...

Last edited by diacritic; 06-26-02 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Mr. Show wasnt funny

Originally posted by jhoon
maybe its because i have expected too much of this dvd. But regardless of the reason, i still feel that the whole thing blew. i didnt even laugh ONCE. no joke. hopefully, my future purchase of Monty Python and the Holy Grail wont leave me feeling the same as the mediocre "Mr.Show" has.
Bottom line: When you make a purchase of something you have never seen before, you take a chance...no matter how big of a following it has. I bought this DVD set sight unseen, and while l like it, at the same time, it's not belly-aching funny. The Best of Mr. Show episode was by far the funniest on the discs and that was probably done in the 3rd or 4th season. Heck, even Seinfeld kinda sucked in the first season. So, I have bigger hopes for a Season 3 & 4 set.
Old 06-26-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Entitilitus
Old 06-26-02, 09:30 PM

Sure, acquired maybe, but I think required works too!
Old 06-27-02, 01:14 AM
Banned

I aint well read nor an "intellectual" and I really enjoy Mr. Show..

I would find it hard to claim Bob Odenkirk is an intellectual, either.. I believe he went to the College of Dupage, near where I live here in Dupage County, Illinois.. And trust me, intellects are not what attend COD..
Old 06-27-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...The fact is that in order to catch all the references--and to find the references funny--one must have already read some of the books/authors subtly or directly referred to (or made fun of) in the show . . .
Can you give an idea of the books/authors referenced?
Old 06-27-02, 02:52 AM
Banned

If you don't like Mr. Show you don't like life!

'nuf said
Old 06-27-02, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 454 Likes on 312 Posts
Since this discussion does not relate directly to the DVD, moving to TV Talk
Old 06-27-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by waskydiver

Can you give an idea of the books/authors referenced?
The Bible, for one, otherwise the story about the thirteenth Apostle is not that funny.

Several references to authors and other popular figures are made during the "Imminent Death Syndrome" syndrome skit.

To find the "Founding Fathers" funny one should know their American History.

I also remember hearing a line that was distinctly from, or based on Hegel's philosophy. The fact is I can't give specific references because it has been years since I have watched the show...

Most of the comedy is based on the viewer's knowledge of the media (TV, film, politics), and marginal cultures (gay/lesbian community), but subtler references are made to literature (Shakespeare, Hemingway, the Bible), and religion (Buddhism, Islam, Catholicism).

Yujinaka: My comments have nothing to do with whether or not the viewer is an "intellectual". In fact, Bob Odenkirk's attendance at the College of Dupage does not make him anymore or less an intellectual. I know brilliant people who never went to college, or went to small community colleges, and idiots who graduated from Harvard.

Last edited by diacritic; 06-27-02 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-27-02, 12:35 PM

I've seen a couple episodes of Mr. Show on HBO. There were a couple things that made me laugh, but for the most part, I didn't care for it. I have to say that I do love Monty Python. I have all the Flying Circus on DVD and The Holy Grail.
Old 06-27-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by YujiNaka
I aint well read nor an "intellectual" and I really enjoy Mr. Show..

I would find it hard to claim Bob Odenkirk is an intellectual, either.. I believe he went to the College of Dupage, near where I live here in Dupage County, Illinois.. And trust me, intellects are not what attend COD..
He went to COD...cool.
But sad......he must be the only famous COD alum.
Old 06-27-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To find the "Founding Fathers" funny one should know their American History.
Exactly! For some reason I found it really funny that Lincoln was in the group of Founding Fathers, even though he wasn't one. Very dry, but funny when it hits you the right way.
Old 06-27-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i saw this recently and laughed a couple of times but didnt find it nearly as funny as i was told it would be.

i took the disc out and put in simpsons and laughed more in the first 5 minutes than in the two episodes of Mr. Show i watched
Old 06-27-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Exactly! For some reason I found it really funny that Lincoln was in the group of Founding Fathers, even though he wasn't one.
And with an annoying, high-pitched, Bronx accent. Hilarious!
Old 06-27-02, 04:38 PM
Banned

"I don't come to where you work and slap the d**k out of your mouth!"

I liked it and actually got an abdominal work out from laughing, but it's cool by me if others don't. This is actually a sore subject for me because my copy has been in the mail for over 3 weeks now (Canadian online site). I rented first.
Old 06-27-02, 05:53 PM
Banned

please...continue rotting your brain with re-runs of friends and john goodman hosted episodes of snl....you probably don't like the simpsons either?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.