Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Kelly Osbourne - Singing or Lip-sync?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Kelly Osbourne - Singing or Lip-sync?
Singing
51.92%
Lip-sync
46.15%
Undecided
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think?
Old 06-06-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is for the Movie Awards right?

If so, although it had the signs of a possible lip-sync, her mom was freaking back stage during the performance, so I think she may have sung live.
Old 06-06-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the promo cd for Papa Don't Preach and compared. She was singing live. Plus, it did sound live to me. She sang into the mic too closely and loud at times. I think they may have had that effect on her voice a little too. Plus, you are right, her mom really wouldn't have been too worried if she was lipsyncing.
Old 06-06-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, if she wasn't actually singing, she didn't do half bad at all.

I could've sworn it was lip-syncing.
Old 06-06-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe she was singing live, but I also believe they were applying lots of real-time effects to her vocals.
Old 06-06-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I doni't doubt that was her singing .... on a tape. There's no way that was live. YOu can tell because when she came down the steps she said somethign and that was live (you could hear the echo of the sound system) then her voice was clear as day.

I think she was lip-syncing.
Old 06-06-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joeboo835
I doni't doubt that was her singing .... on a tape. There's no way that was live. YOu can tell because when she came down the steps she said somethign and that was live (you could hear the echo of the sound system) then her voice was clear as day.

I think she was lip-syncing.
Could be, but what she said coming down the stairs ("Come on you guys get the f up!") she screamed in her high pitched whine. The rest she had the mic right up to her face.
Old 06-06-02, 11:08 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

I beleive she was singing along to her own prerecorded track.

I could have sworn there was a brief point when she dropped the mike down to her side. We still heard her singing just as loud as when she had been singing with the mike up close to her mouth.

Be it live, memorex or a combination of the two, she didn't sound half bad.
Old 06-07-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who really cares? What I want to discuss is the fact that light is not her friend. I guess I shouldn't expect that the prince of darkness would have an attractive daughter.
Old 06-07-02, 12:41 AM
Suspended

Surprisingly, she sounds better than most pop acts out there (*cough* britney spears, J-Ho *cough*). It was hard to tell, but I think she Lip synced.
Old 06-07-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lip-synching, not that it matters, or I'd expect otherwise.

Note that the mike was plastered to her mouth through all range of notes and volumes. Also, through some of the slower parts of the song, the rhythm of her mouth was different from the rhythm of the vocals. I don't look at synchronization, because who knows how MTV edited the thing, but there are a few points where on one camera shot, she's synched with the vocals and 2 seconds later, on the same camera shot, she's a few beats off. So unless MTV not only respliced the audio with the video, but also changed the speed of one of them, it's lip-synching.

Of less compelling value in the proof department, that was a lot of vocal processing to be done live. Sure, it could be done, but it's more likely that it was not live.

As for why her mom was freaking backstage, the money-hungry bitch was probably smelling another possible source of revenue after she drains Ozzy dry.

das
Old 06-07-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by das Monkey
As for why her mom was freaking backstage, the money-hungry bitch was probably smelling another possible source of revenue after she drains Ozzy dry.
LMMFAO -- It's funny cuz it's true.
Old 06-07-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

das
Old 06-07-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Lip-synched.

She had the mike all over her mouth. Most microphones don't work well unless you are singing straight into them. If nothing else, at least it would noticably sound different. Also, I caught at least two times where she didn't get the mike back up to her face in time to sing what we heard.

From a technical standpoint, I was really surprised they shot such a closeup on her face. If I was the director I would have been freaking out that she would obviously lip-synch and screw something up, especially with a inexperienced performer.
Old 06-07-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by draven-x
From a technical standpoint, I was really surprised they shot such a closeup on her face. If I was the director I would have been freaking out that she would obviously lip-synch and screw something up, especially with a inexperienced performer.
Remember it wasn't live. They spliced around the points where she screwed up, but like you said, some were still there if you looked closely enough.

das
Old 06-07-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was obviously live. Her mouth matched the music, plus you could tell there was distortion and intereference from the microphone being pushed against her lips.

Matt
Old 06-07-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched it a few times in a row. If she was lip syncing, she recorded a new vocal track because the performance does not match the cd. When the mic wasn't up to her face at the end then she pulled it up, when it was away it sounded a bit lower (her voice).
Old 07-12-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

watched it for the first time today, and thought that she was actually singing, mainly because sharon looked so worried about somethin. plus, they did zoom ups of the mouth, and it was moving right to the lyrics.
Old 07-13-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
watched it for the first time today, and thought that she was actually singing, mainly because sharon looked so worried about somethin. plus, they did zoom ups of the mouth, and it was moving right to the lyrics.
It was almost like her lips were in synch with the audio feed.

das
Old 07-13-02, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it's always possible it was lip syncing, but she could always sing as well if she wanted.. just with her track as background.
Old 07-14-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
She sang live at the Awards, but when the who deal was broadcast we didn't get the live vocals, we got the taped/tweaked stuff!
Old 07-14-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by clemente
She sang live at the Awards, but when the who deal was broadcast we didn't get the live vocals, we got the taped/tweaked stuff!
if this is true, i am very dissopointed with mtv.
Old 07-14-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I understood, she sang live for the taping and mTV adjusted the levels afterwards for the broadcast. She was singing to softly and her volume needed to be pumped up.

Regardless, it was Karaoke. Nothing more.
Old 07-14-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Sharon Osbourne was acting. If she was worried about anything, it was that Kelly would drop her mic and the "singing" would continue.
Old 07-14-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
From what I understood, she sang live for the taping and mTV adjusted the levels afterwards for the broadcast. She was singing to softly and her volume needed to be pumped up.

Regardless, it was Karaoke. Nothing more.
so this was her voice, just adjusted for volume.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.