Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gillian Anderson to join the Practice next season

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gillian Anderson to join the Practice next season

Read this over at Dark Horizons. Not sure what to think of this. I used to enjoy the Practice, but the last couple of seasons have not been up to par. As an X-Files fan it will be hard to see Gillian in any other television role other than Scully.

Seems Gillian and Camryn Manheim became friends recently ("friends" huh) and Manheim was able to convince her to join the cast. Not sure what her role will be. Maybe she will be the next assistant D.A. as Ron Livingston's role was rarely used.
Old 05-29-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
Why go to a sinking ship?

If she wanted to move to a legal drama, I would have campaigned for her to replace Elizabeth Rohm on Law & Order. Gillian and Sam Waterston could have made quite a team.
Old 05-29-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this an official site/announcement?

I've never watched The Practice. Kind of a been there done that with other legal shows. I like Gillian, but doubt that I would tune in.

If the ship is sinking, they could be figuring she might raise the ratings.
Old 05-29-02, 02:26 PM

Not sure how true this actually may be. I have tried to search for some concrete evidence, but it seems that this bit of news originally came from the National Enquirer (there goes any bit of credibility).

Sorry to jump the gun. This may not be true.
Old 05-29-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I really enjoyed the character of Scully, Gillian Anderson isn't really that good of an actress, and I have a hard time seeing her finding too many more good roles in the future.

The Practice, while once one of the best shows on television, has become pretty cliche and at times unwatchable. Still, I enjoy the show, much more than other "sinking ships."

While from a quality perspective, I don't see it making much of a difference, it does make sense for all parties. The Practice could use a publicity stunt to get people back to watching, and Gillian can't go wrong with steady work on another series. I'm sure she enjoys acting, and if she doesn't take what she has available now, she may get stuck doing nothing but The X-Files films.

Still, it sounds strange. I'm not sure how this could work. I do miss Ron Livingston - he was a very strong character.

das
Old 05-29-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://gaws.ao.net/current/index.html -- her official site

ABC's The Practice, is an awesome show, Dylan McDermott is one hot dude if you ask me, but and however Gillian is not joining the cast of this show. I know there is a rumor that Gillian will be joining the cast of The Practice. It is just that, a rumor. There is no truth to it - actually I was told it was "absolute nonsense." Plus in some of the more recent interviews Gillian even says she "would under no circumstances consider another TV role." END RUMOR!
Old 05-29-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I know this will shock you, but I 100% disagree with you on Gillian's quality as an actress. I think she's very good and even exceptional.

Plus, as much as I hate the Emmy's I don't think, due to the nature of the show she was on, they would give her the Emmy if she didn't earn it. I think the Emmy's would like to see shows like the X-Files and their ilk just disappear.
Old 05-29-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
das - I know this will shock you, but I 100% disagree with you on Gillian's quality as an actress. I think she's very good and even exceptional.
Here, here! In addition to some uncontestably VERY well done work in The X-Files, she was fantastic in The House of Mirth as well. I think if anyone from that show, [cough, cough]Duchovny[/cough, cough], is going to successfully escape pigeon-holing it will be her.
Old 05-29-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
Sorry das, i gotta go with elektra on this one. If anything, i'd say the X-files kept her from really going to far out of "Scully's" range.

Everything i've seen her in since has been excellent.
Old 05-29-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
While I really enjoyed the character of Scully, Gillian Anderson isn't really that good of an actress.
das, check out House of Mirth and you may change your mind about her acting ability. I thought she was very good in that movie.
Old 05-29-02, 03:10 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather see her on any of these:

CSI
Alias
The Agency
Old 05-29-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to post that das must not have seen House of Mirth, but I see some people beat me to it.

Gillian was ROBBED of an Oscar nomination for that part. She was THAT good.

As far as the Practice is concerned...

What is it with David E. Kelley rescuing actresses from Sci-Fi shows? (ie Jeri Ryan on Boston Public this season.)
Old 05-29-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by palebluedot

das, check out House of Mirth and you may change your mind about her acting ability. I thought she was very good in that movie.
And not only the House of Mirth. Gillian held her own with Sean Connery, Angelina Jolie, Madeline Stowe and others and was quite wonderful herself in Playing By Heart. She also had a very small but nonetheless impressive role in the Mighty. That role and the Mirth role showed she has tremendous talent and rage as an actress. I'm pretty sure that's why she not only won Emmy but SAG and the Golden Globe for her role on the X-Files.

While someone might not like her, I think it's more than evident that she is a tremendously talented actress and I hope she won't be joining the Practice and gets back to feature films soon. The only reason I could think of her wanting to do this is because TV makes it easier for an actor to be with their children and I believe Piper must be around 7 years old now.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-29-02 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shamefully, I have not seen House of Mirth, and as such, I will retract my statement. The times I've seen her, she's been serviceable, but I was not impressed. To be fair, however, they were all small roles as she's been so tied up with The X-Files. I certainly have no problems with her as an actress, and as I said, I loved the character of Scully. It looks like one uninformed monkey needs to get ahold of House of Mirth before casting any further judgment on her acting ability. The glowing recommendation from certain posters in this thread is more than enough for me to accept that I need a larger sample set before forming an opinion in this case. Thanks for (possibly) setting me straight.

das
Old 05-29-02, 04:18 PM

Shamefully, I have not seen House of Mirth, and as such, I will retract my statement. The times I've seen her, she's been serviceable, but I was not impressed. To be fair, however, they were all small roles as she's been so tied up with The X-Files. I certainly have no problems with her as an actress, and as I said, I loved the character of Scully. It looks like one uninformed monkey needs to get ahold of House of Mirth before casting any further judgment on her acting ability. The glowing recommendation from certain posters in this thread is more than enough for me to accept that I need a larger sample set before forming an opinion in this case. Thanks for (possibly) setting me straight.

das
You have email
Old 05-30-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like one uninformed monkey needs to get ahold of House of Mirth before casting any further judgment on her acting ability. The glowing recommendation from certain posters in this thread is more than enough for me to accept that I need a larger sample set before forming an opinion in this case. Thanks for (possibly) setting me straight.
das
I hope you do get a chance to see House of Mirth....for some reason, even before that film, I have always felt that it was Gillian Anderson who would go on to do great things after the X-files and NOT David Duchovny. Duchovny is charming and has a great sense of humor (based on interviews I have seen), but I don't think he is a great actor. There are even times during the X-files when he makes me cringe. House of Mirth confirmed for me the hunch I had about Anderson, that she was a great actress hiding in a confined role.
Old 05-30-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by palebluedot
You have email
My SMTP has been on the fritz last night, so it appears the reply I sent you got bounced. You'll get it sooner or later, but in short, no and thank you.

das
Old 05-30-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by garmonbozia
I hope you do get a chance to see House of Mirth....for some reason, even before that film, I have always felt that it was Gillian Anderson who would go on to do great things after the X-files and NOT David Duchovny. Duchovny is charming and has a great sense of humor (based on interviews I have seen), but I don't think he is a great actor. There are even times during the X-files when he makes me cringe. House of Mirth confirmed for me the hunch I had about Anderson, that she was a great actress hiding in a confined role.
Yeah, Duchovny may do a great Jeff Goldblum, "A-ha ... a-ha ... the letter '2' my friend" but his range is definitely limited, from what I've seen.

das
Old 05-30-02, 01:59 PM

My SMTP has been on the fritz last night, so it appears the reply I sent you got bounced. You'll get it sooner or later, but in short, no and thank you.

das
10-4
Old 05-30-02, 07:11 PM

I think Gillian Anderson is an amazing actress on the x-files simply because she's a total and complete goofball in real life (at least what I've seen), nothing like Scully.
Old 05-30-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm torn. I love Gillian, but I don't watch The Practice. What's a guy to do?
Old 05-30-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by garmonbozia

I agree. Duchovny will be the one struggling to find jobs post X-Files. From everything I've seen, he seems to be pretty much a jerk and difficult to work with.
Old 05-31-02, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Andalusia
I'm torn. I love Gillian, but I don't watch The Practice. What's a guy to do?
Yeah, me too. I've never gotten interested in watching even one episode of The Practice, and don't really savor the thought of getting into this show now. However, if it's my only opportunity to watch Gillian, then I'll bite the bullet and give it a try. Better that than go without.

She was really great in Mirth, and did indeed hold her own with Connery et al. in Playing By Heart.
Old 06-01-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they ought to fire the entire cast of Sex in the City and revovle that show around Gillian.
Old 06-02-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Why go to a sinking ship?

If she wanted to move to a legal drama, I would have campaigned for her to replace Elizabeth Rohm on Law & Order. Gillian and Sam Waterston could have made quite a team.
That is a really good point! I still can't get used to Rohm, and her first season is over already !

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.