Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shield 5/28/02 (Part 1 of the Finale)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-29-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Wow.

Another strong episode. I have really enjoyed this show this season. I think they have done a phenomenal job creating a character in Vic that can be both ruthless and sympathetic. I think the rest of the Strike Team and the officers have all developed strong characters that are interesting in every episode even if they don't have a lot to do.

Highlights:

I was geniunely concerned for Vic's family. I thought they handled that well.

I was surprised they went the "sexual re-orientation" route with Julian. That's a very controversial subject and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I jumped out of my seat when the top cop shot that gang kid as Vic was writing out his phone number. Totally didn't see that coming.

I liked the sub-plot of the guy selling people their stuff back after he stole it. "Is there no love for Dookie in the hood?"

I LOVE that Dutch is solving the crime, no matter what Vic seems to do. It was just great seeing Vic run around trying to cover everything up.

And, some might disagree, but I enjoyed what the top cop's big plan was. I thought it was pretty believable, and that he had really done a good job of "trapping" Vic into doing his dirty work.

Next week looks like a good one too. Can't wait.
Old 05-29-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was a great episode. I can't wait to see what happens next week when Vic gets Gilmore.
Old 05-29-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, another great ep. Shane is a moron, I see him as the first to buy it. Unusually I find all of the characters likeable.
Old 05-29-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Shield 5/28/02 (Part 1 of the Finale)

Originally posted by draven-x
I was surprised they went the "sexual re-orientation" route with Julian. That's a very controversial subject and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.
My prediction: Julian and the other 'rehabilitated' guy will end up jumping off the wagon together.
Old 05-30-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Shield 5/28/02 (Part 1 of the Finale)

Originally posted by draven-x
Agreed. I'm glad they're not afraid to "go there" with this subject. Sexual re-orientation (in concept) exists, but other shows avoid the topic like the plague. I like how his partner knows what's going on and doesn't seem to be buying his plan to "get better." I've been impressed with the way they've developed his character. Actually, I'm impressed with all the characters.

Btw, for anyone who cares, this is Jerry Doyle's favorite show (figures).

das
Old 05-30-02, 04:57 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Re: Re: The Shield 5/28/02 (Part 1 of the Finale)

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel

My prediction: Julian and the other 'rehabilitated' guy will end up jumping off the wagon together.
Good call. I wonder if that's the thing that will "change one of these people's lives forever." Personally, if that's what it is I would think it would be a let down. My idea would have the Ass. Chief Gilroy get killed (or better yet, kill himself) and then Mackey is left to cover his own messes.

I can't believe Shane found someone he cared about (besides himself)-and it's a cock. His character gives me a chuckle week in and week out.
Old 05-30-02, 05:15 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Re: Re: The Shield 5/28/02 (Part 1 of the Finale)

Originally posted by das Monkey

I like how his partner knows what's going on and doesn't seem to be buying his plan to "get better."

Sofer has always seemed to teeter on the line of mother/mentor and superior/training officer. It's kind of weird-from what I've gathered she respects his beliefs and in a small way admires him being the officer and person he is, yet at the same time she was the one chastising him and trying to get Julien to follow the unwritten rules and change him.
I think when Julien picks up on a majority of the barn being pawns, he'll be able to deal with who he is. Not just sexually either, which I think is more of a metaphor for his all his problems.