DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Friends 5/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/208267-friends-5-16-a.html)

MrGoat00 05-17-02 07:01 PM

Just a question, was last night the season finale? They never advertised it that way as they do with all their other shows, they just advertised it as the 1 hour birth episode? Can anyone definately confirm it was the finale?

Eternia 05-17-02 07:12 PM

Originally posted by MrGoat00
Just a question, was last night the season finale? They never advertised it that way as they do with all their other shows, they just advertised it as the 1 hour birth episode? Can anyone definately confirm it was the finale?
They said it was the season finale in most of the commercials.

I am 200% final answer sure it was the season finale.

das Monkey 05-17-02 07:31 PM

Originally posted by MrGoat00

From the beginning ...

<I>Friends</I> has been a show of firsts ...

[Whoooooo can say ... where the road goes ...]

A first episode ...

[... where the days flows ...]

A first chair ...

[Whoooooo can say ... if your love grows ...]

A first coffee mug ...

[... as your heart chose ...]

A first oven-mitt ...

[Whoooooo can say ... when the roads meet ...]

A first potato chip ...

This Thursday, on an all new NBC Must See 75th Anniversary television finale event spectacular showcase, God himself will weep, as <I>Friends</I> brings you ... a first baby. <I>This</I> is why they call it "Must See" TV. The <I>Friends</I> baby ... on NBC.
Yeah, I think they said "finale" in there somewhere.

das

JTH182 05-17-02 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Eternia
Did EMILY (you know from England) pop into anyone's heads when they named the baby Emma?
No, but the fact that her initials would be E.G.G. did. Emma Gellar-Green (if there's no middle name).

Boot 05-17-02 09:29 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Yeah, I think they said "finale" in there somewhere.

das

:lol:

das, you crack me up.

twikoff 05-18-02 05:16 PM

[comic book guy] Worst Episode Ever! [/comic book guy]

ok.. the episode was pretty good.. until the ending

I agree with most on here.. that was probably the lamest attempt at a cliffhanger I have ever seen
it almost turns me off to the show for next season.

WarriorPrincess 05-20-02 07:49 AM

I too thought "Emily" when they said Emma. If I were Rachel I'd have not liked the similarity. But aside from that Emma is a great name. :)

As to the ending - please. Note my willingness to accept whatever shows throw at me (even beyond "normal" reason) that I mentioned in detail in the Practice finale thread, but the cliffhanger here was ridiculous. Joey wouldn't let Rachel think that - and she's suffering from post-partum that Janice exacerbated, she didn't mean it. Sheesh. It's so obvious she and Ross still have feelings for each other, and that Joey is just out of luck on this one. Though personally I think Joey's a MUCH nicer/sweeter person. :) He knows Rachel doesn't have those feelings for him - she told him so. He is also aware enough to know that she's speaking out of depression and fear for the future with a new baby on her own, not desire for marriage - even though it's pretty cruel of her to do that to him and momentarily get his hopes up, two seconds later he'd realize the truth.

I liked the idea of Ross and Rachel still being married better. :)

There were some funny moments in this episode - I liked the Joey/Phoebe/broken leg guy story. And I agree with das that it was on par with the rest of this season in quality. Funny at times, bad at times, but for me definitely funny enough to keep me in for the last season. I can't take the chance that they'd have another episode as hilarious as the Halloween 2001 episode that I might miss. I've watched that one at least 6 times, and it cracks me up every time. :)

Red Dog 05-20-02 12:11 PM

I watched this over the weekend. What a horrible ending.

Deftones 05-20-02 12:32 PM

finally got around to seeing this. it was pretty good. i think we should have all expected this cliffhanger, especially with the way they wrote off the Joey/Rachel relationship so quickly this season. We all know what will really happen, Ross and Rachel will get together, although it may take the entire final season to do so. My prediction is the series finale next season is the Ross/Rachel wedding.

Red Dog 05-20-02 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Deftones17
My prediction is the series finale next season is the Ross/Rachel wedding.

You're really going out on a limb on that one. -rolleyes-

Boot 05-20-02 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog

You're really going out on a limb on that one. -rolleyes-

:lol:

cooper2000 05-20-02 07:11 PM

I am one of the ones that think that NBC should have let the show rest for good after this season.

twikoff 05-20-02 07:57 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
I am one of the ones that think that NBC should have let the show rest for good after this season.
i agree.. and its almost like if the only thing they did to make it last another season, was that joey crap

if the original plan was to have ross propose after the baby was born.. then that could have ended the series

Red Dog 05-21-02 09:02 AM

Originally posted by cooper2000

I think they should have ended it after Chandler and Monica got married. The last good season was the one when they were hiding their relationship from everyone.

mdc3000 05-21-02 11:09 AM

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
What worries me most is the part about
Spoiler:
Monica trying to get pregnant.
Next year will be the year of
Spoiler:
pregnant Monica,
which means
Spoiler:
she'll be the focus of 90% of the storylines.
Lord have mercy on us all.

I don't think this will be the case... i think the season will have them banging like rabbits trying, screwing in all sorts of wacky places, hoping to get the job done...but nothing will happen, until the end of next season, when the show comes to it's conclusion, and they are starting to build a family... to have all 3 lead friends have a season of pregnancy just seems like sloppy soap opera writing, which I don't think Friends has.

Anyhow, looking forward to next season

MATT