Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friends 5/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends 5/16

I'll start this week since either I missed last weeks thread or one wasn't done.

Great episode! Now what? I totally wasn't expecting that ending. All of the cast were pretty funny this time around including all of the "extras" in the room with Raechel.

Favorite line was definitely from Phoebe when the guy said he usually waits to know a girl better before they spoon. Phoebe's response:

Spoiler:
Well it's not like we're forking!

Can't wait til next season!

Sam
Old 05-16-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, but the cliffhanger wasn't as edge-of-your-seat as much as other seasons....

We all know what's going to happen!!!
Old 05-16-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did EMILY (you know from England) pop into anyone's heads when they named the baby Emma?
Old 05-16-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoilers....

I really enjoyed the episode up until the ending. Ofcourse im thinking that when the first episode of next season starts they'll find some crazy way to blow off Rachel's OK and make us feel dumb for thinking that she thought Joey was trying to propose. I really do hope thats the case because i doubt Rachel would think Joey is trying to propose in the middle of her having a baby with Ross. I mean that thing with her and Joey is settled so i dont think its gonna resurface so suddenly. Anyway, cool episode, cant wait till next season.
Old 05-16-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Yeah, but the cliffhanger wasn't as edge-of-your-seat as much as other seasons....

We all know what's going to happen!!!
No, tell me whats going to happen?
Old 05-16-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thegame370
Spoilers....

I really enjoyed the episode up until the ending. Ofcourse im thinking that when the first episode of next season starts they'll find some crazy way to blow off Rachel's OK and make us feel dumb for thinking that she thought Joey was trying to propose. I really do hope thats the case because i doubt Rachel would think Joey is trying to propose in the middle of her having a baby with Ross. I mean that thing with her and Joey is settled so i dont think its gonna resurface so suddenly. Anyway, cool episode, cant wait till next season.
Agreed, not to mention the fact that for Joey to continue with it would be totally against his character - he knows the ring is Ross'.
Old 05-16-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh. My. God.

That is the first thing I thought of!

Of course, I also remembered Ross' crush on Isabella Rosselini when I heard his first choice for the name.

I totally did think of this ending, but I totally can see it. Its just like Ross wanting to take Rachel to the Prom. Just when he decides to do it... its too late.
I liked this episode a lot -- more than I thought I would. I am not sure whether or not Ross will end up with Rachel.

Originally posted by Eternia
Did EMILY (you know from England) pop into anyone's heads when they named the baby Emma?

Last edited by JohnPhoenix; 05-16-02 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-16-02, 10:34 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I too was a bit let down with the ending. It was sort of a cop out cliffhanger ending, if you ask me. The episode was entertaining though. We'll see where they take this next season.
Old 05-16-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the cliffhanger was way more overhyped than it actually turned out to be. The show was entertaining, but the last bit with the ring was ridiculous. It's not hard to imagine Joey just telling Rachel 2 seconds later that it's not his.
Old 05-17-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to watch every episode of Friends, but after some real duds midway throught the season, I stopped watching. Last night's was my first one back, and it was definitely great. Unfortunately, the ending though was just horribly awkward. If by some unimaginable chance they actually go through with Joey and Rachel getting "engaged," that's just laughably stupid. You know that Joey's gonna say it's Ross's ring... if not, well, that's just ridiculous.

I (and probably just about everyone else) expected either Ross to propose or perhaps Rachel to propose (a la 6 Feet Under), and then the lack of a response to be the cliffhanger. I guess they wanted to surprise us, but still, this surprise is just way too stupid to be believable.

Other than that though, great episode!
Old 05-17-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About as average as the show has been in recent years. I enjoyed the Rachel/Ross interaction, and the scenes with Joey helping Phoebes, were pretty good. The Monica/Chandler stuff was just there because their characters have to be in the show, and if next season is a long drawn out preparation for another wedding or another baby or both, then I'll be wrong: the show can sink lower than it has. Oh well ... I had a few laughs, and there were some good moments, but overall there wasn't enough to fill a full hour, and the way things played out towards the end were just too contrived for my taste.

das
Old 05-17-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What worries me most is the part about
Spoiler:
Monica trying to get pregnant.
Next year will be the year of
Spoiler:
pregnant Monica,
which means
Spoiler:
she'll be the focus of 90% of the storylines.
Lord have mercy on us all.
Old 05-17-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was about the lamest "cliffhanger" I could have imagined. I was really thinking that we would learn that Ross never got the annullment from so long ago and that the baby therefore was not illegitimate. That would have been a cool ending if you ask me. This contrived thing with the ring just sets up more ways for the characters to misunderstand each other and to go down roads that lead to dead ends and on and on and on...Of course, "Friends" has never explored that territory before, has it? What a letdown.
Old 05-17-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wished Janice was having Chandler's baby...
Old 05-17-02, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Boot
That was about the lamest "cliffhanger" I could have imagined. I was really thinking that we would learn that Ross never got the annullment from so long ago and that the baby therefore was not illegitimate. That would have been a cool ending if you ask me. This contrived thing with the ring just sets up more ways for the characters to misunderstand each other and to go down roads that lead to dead ends and on and on and on...Of course, "Friends" has never explored that territory before, has it? What a letdown.
Word.

Friends is very similar to ER in terms of resolving their cliffhangers in the next episode. My guess is that two seconds into next season, Joey will admit that its not his ring, Ross walks in with flowers, yada yada yada all three of them are going at it
Old 05-17-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But if you wanted to ratchet up the angst, Joey goes through and proposes and Rachel does accept, and Ross then walks in on them, and he can't just stand there and propose to Rachel and spill the beans on the ring because Rachel has made her choice. No, Ross was simply too late in realizing that he could have made it work between him and Rachel. It would look like a desperation marriage proposal on Ross's part, and Rachel would not want a marriage proposal born of pity from Ross. Suppose this is the one time Joey becomes selfish and goes for Rachel (All's fair in love and war) because, well, Ross had plenty of chances, and this is Joey's shot for happiness.
Old 05-17-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A Dr. just doesn't "discover" a baby is breach. They know that well in advance. Why did they put that in there anyway?

The newboen actually looked realistic to an extent. But, as usual, no umbillical cord!!

Poor ross, no cord to cut. He's a weenie.
Old 05-17-02, 09:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Doug Heffernan
A Dr. just doesn't "discover" a baby is breach. They know that well in advance. Why did they put that in there anyway?
Yeah, I was cracking up at that myself. Normally, if a baby is breech they try and turn it (this is a few weeks before the delivery). If that doesn't work, it's almost always a c-section.

Also, a baby must be delivered within 24 hours of the water breaking, or there is a high risk for infection. Yet, Rachel delivers her baby 47 hours after the water breaking, and nobody seems to care.

Not exactly a textbook on the birthing process.
Old 05-17-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The finale was alright. I agree that there probably wasn't enough to fill an entire hour and that a lot of it was filler until the ending. I was disappointed. I thought that for once, they would have a "happy ending" for their season finale.
I really hope that this is not the time that Joey becomes selfish. Besides, even if he were to say that the ring is his, wouldn't monica recognize the ring and say something? Anyway, can't wait to see what happens next season.
Old 05-17-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they said something like "the baby is breach, you need to push a lot harder"

I'm no doctor, but if a baby is breach don't they want the mom to not push, until they either get it turned around or decide to do a C-section?
Old 05-17-02, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
I'm no doctor, but if a baby is breach don't they want the mom to not push, until they either get it turned around or decide to do a C-section?
At the point she was at (they could actually see the butt), it would be impossible to do either. She had to push it out the old-fashioned way.
Old 05-17-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
I thought it was a great episode. Very funny. I loved Janice's line "I have very wide hips -- You remember, Chandler." That had me in tears.
I concur on the lame cliffhanger. We all knew something like that was coming, and we all were hoping for more.

As far as the medicine goes, I'm a pediatrician. Here's my take: They would have known the kid was breach. Sometimes they flip late, but not after the water breaks. I think the "47 hours" bit was a joke, but if not, as long as you have IV antibiotics given if you're ruptured longer than 24 hours, you're usually OK. Neither prolonged rupture of membranes or a frank breech presentation would preclude a vaginal delivery. The baby looked pretty new, probably was only a couple of days old. I think it was an insert and not filmed on the soundstage -- you only see her in close-up. Yes, I noticed no cord (also no cheesy vernix, but that's OK by me).
Old 05-17-02, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Well, Joey can't marry Rachel anyway...if he gets his own 'spin-off' would Rachel be there too... Anyone get what I'm saying?
Old 05-17-02, 11:09 AM

Re: Friends 5/16

Originally posted by HotThang
Spoiler:
Well it's not like we're forking!

Can't wait til next season!

Sam

did this REALLY need a spoiler tag, I mean really....Don't get me wrong I'm not faulting you and I see your logic...everyone gets offended these days about something, this message is for the nimrods who WOULD get upset reading that "spoiler"... get out of the house, there's a bright shiny world out there waiting for you ALL.
Old 05-17-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't want to give away the joke . Plus I didn't give a single detail about the show in my whole post and didn't want to ruin it for those that hadn't watched yet. Just taking the high road I guess.

Sam

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.