Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Looks like Dark Angel's wings have been clipped

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Dark Angel's wings have been clipped

Didn't know whether to add this to the fox fall line-up thread or not. Can be merged if that is appropriate. I searched to make sure it wasn't already posted but didn't find anything.

Sam

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...darkangel_dc_1
Old 05-16-02, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So long... don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!
Old 05-16-02, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now, isn't that an interesting development. This makes a lot more sense than the advance word of Firefly being bumped back to mid-season and Dark Angel returning for a third year. If that channel that masquerades around as the "Sci-Fi" Channel brings Farscape back in the 8pm slot, that will create an incredible Friday lineup along with Jeremiah at 10:45 (or possibly a more reasonable 10:00 next season). More likely, I'd expect Farscape to return at 9:00pm, which will force people to watch the 12:00am re-airing.

In any case, there was no real reason to bring this show back. In an attempt to gain viewers, it lost most of its core audience and only picked up various stragglers that thought Jessica Alba was hot. Fridays this season were VERY weak once Sci-Fi yanked its lineup and ABC canned Thieves and FOX canned Pasadena. With new blood on the air next season, I would expect Dark Angel to sink even further in the ratings, as their viewership is likely to small to build momentum even if the show were much better than it is now.

das
Old 05-16-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it's hard to complain when the replacement show is being done by one of my favorite writers. I like Joss' stuff, so I'm in.
Old 05-16-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
\ If that channel that masquerades around as the "Sci-Fi" Channel brings Farscape back in the 8pm slot, that will create an incredible Friday lineup along with Jeremiah at 10:45 (or possibly a more reasonable 10:00 next season). More likely, I'd expect Farscape to return at 9:00pm, which will force people to watch the 12:00am re-airing.
Das, Sci-Fi has already announced their new lineup (starting June 7th) and Farscape has been moved forward an hour to 10PM/9 Central.
Old 05-16-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clemente
Das, Sci-Fi has already announced their new lineup (starting June 7th) and Farscape has been moved forward an hour to 10PM/9 Central.
Ah, cool. Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about their Night Visions/SG-1/Farscape plan. And it looks like Firefly is in the 8pm slot, so those two won't conflict. The only question left is when Showtime will schedule Jeremiah's return. Hopefully, considering its strong ratings (and Stargate SG-1's departure), it will get a more solid timeslot. However, knowing the way Sci-Fi shakes up its lineup midseason, who knows what will be on the air come August/September. Last season was a nightmare trying to figure out when I-Man and Farscape were going to air. Oh well ... thanks for the reminder.

das
Old 05-16-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Hopefully this will free up Jessica's schedule for some rated-R acting gigs.
Old 05-16-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted this in the other thread, but here goes (short recap).

I'm pissed that Dark Angel has been cancelled and sincerely hope that another network picks it up. While slipping this past season with the monster of the week formula, the overarching story is quite good, and I really want to know how it ends.

I also love the chemistry between Alba and Weatherly, just like I loved the chemistry on Roswell between Max and Liz - now neither of them will be back. And no more Alec, either. I'm so upset by this.

As to DA's replacement - I too love Joss and would watch anything he does, but remember the show is on Fox. What are its real chances for success and survival? How much say does Joss actually have? As much as when he started Buffy and Angel? If so, then it will be good enough to take a chance on it sticking around despite Fox's predilection for bad decisions and cancellations.

I feel like that old saying- fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I should know by now that Fox + promising new show = disappointment for me.
Old 05-16-02, 07:25 PM
Banned

This always seemed like a Buffy wanta be to me and Jessica Alba cant act.
At least she got a husband out of the show and Cameron can go do some good movies.
Old 05-16-02, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by elektra
Well, it's hard to complain when the replacement show is being done by one of my favorite writers. I like Joss' stuff, so I'm in.
I'm in too....

Until Joss abandons this show like he did BtVs to pursue other ambitions. The guy's a great writer...when he's concentrating on one show. The first 3 seasons of BtVS were incredible. When he spun off Angel, BtVS suffered a little. When he then started working on Firefly, BtVS cartoon, comics, and Ripper, both BtVS and Angel have gone to the toilet(compared to how they used to be...they're still better than most other shows on tv). I'm sure the first season of Firefly will be excellent.
Old 05-16-02, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
This always seemed like a Buffy wanta be to me and Jessica Alba cant act.
At least she got a husband out of the show and Cameron can go do some good movies.
DA started out great. yeah, it had lots of Buffy ripoffs, but I can't condemn them for ripping off the best! They really screwed up during the second season and even Jessica's hottness couldn't keep me interested in the bad storytelling. I don't care if someone can act or not as long as the story's good.

And with hubby thing. That's a little disturbing. Wasn't she like 17 or 18 when this show started and her (now) fiance was in his early 30's? That's not cool. Not the age gap, but her age in relation to his. The girl's barely done puberty. I'll be surprised if they even make it to the alter.
Old 05-16-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is disappointing news, but given the downward spiral of this season's writing, it's not a surprise.

I was really hoping that the writers would get back on track during season three, but that will not be.
Old 05-17-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Salsa Shark

And with hubby thing. That's a little disturbing. Wasn't she like 17 or 18 when this show started and her (now) fiance was in his early 30's? That's not cool. Not the age gap, but her age in relation to his. The girl's barely done puberty. I'll be surprised if they even make it to the alter.

Jessica Alba - DOB - April 28, 1981
Michael Weatherly - DOB - July 8, 1968

Old 05-17-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where I haven't been thrilled with Buffy this season, I still think Angel is nailing it on the head. I don't feel that show's gone down the toilet.

I think what we're seeing now is the Marti Noxon version of Buffy. We're used to the Joss Weadon.

Dark Angel started out really strong and it was an idea with a lot of potential. Just not enough effort was put into it. I would love to see a resolution to this, but it doesn't look like that's to be. Unless they find another outlet for it.
Old 05-17-02, 09:56 AM

As ridiculous as the plot lines became, I thought the show was very entertaining, much more so this year than last year. Alec was a great addition. I haven't seen Episode II but I keep feeling he would have made an excellent Anakin.
Old 05-17-02, 12:54 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Just puts Ms. Alba that much closer to late-night cable nekkidness. Oh, what a happy day that will be.
Old 05-17-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CarlosTheDwarf
As ridiculous as the plot lines became, I thought the show was very entertaining, much more so this year than last year. Alec was a great addition. I haven't seen Episode II but I keep feeling he would have made an excellent Anakin.
I agree 100% Carlos. I'd watch anything with Jensen in it (Alec's real name ) - but that aside I think he would have made an excellent Anakin.