Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed 5/15/02

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ed 5/15/02

I have no idea what happened on the season finale of Ed, so would someone please provide a quick recap when possible? TIA.

Did Ed come up the balls to confront Carol and break up PJ and her?

Did Cheswick go nuts from Mark and Diane becoming an item?
Old 05-15-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i tuned in when it looked like they did a parrody of all in the family with the opening song, just with an old man and his wife. some guy comes in with his girlfriend or wife and said that it was really bad. I completly agreed and changed the channel.

I have never seen this show before, just was flipping channels when i saw this.
Old 05-15-02, 09:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Not a bad season finale. Patman, to answer your questions...

Carol and PJ were going to go travel the country during the summer. Ed obviously did not want this to happen. Carol and PJ do end up going away for the summer, but not before Ed gives Carol a "big kiss" at the last minute.

Mark and Diane do indeed become an item and Cheswick didn't handle it all that well at first, but eventually came to accept it.

I would explain more of the details, but I don't have the time now. However, there was another classic Cheswick quote in this one too...

"Mark, if you go out with Diane Snyder...then the terrorists have won."
Old 05-15-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, i just watched west wing so my memory may be fuzzy but i will try for the recap with the main points:

carol and dennis are walking down the street and dennis asks her to dinner at the fanciest place in town to talk to her about someting important and good. while walking they run into mike and ed who overhear but don't know what is going to be discussed. ed presumes that dennis will ask carol to marry him. there is going to be a talent show at the annual stuckeyville fair and everyone is entering...phil, shirley, mike and nancy....molly is in charge and so they are all demonstrating their acts for her to try and impress her.

cheswick is upset with mark over the whole diane kiss thing and tries to stay angry but gives up after he can't find anyone to hang out with. mark confesses that he loves diane but didn't pursue it because he thought that he would have no chance.

ed and mike are at the goat having a beer when ed decides to go to the fancy restaurant to stop dennis from proposing to carol. they get there, mike fakes a phone call to dennis and ed swoops in to tell carol about his feelings....but he chokes and says something about the food instead. cheswick and mark both decide that they are in love with diane so they decide to go to the fair and may the better man win.

later, dennis come to stuckeybowl and confronts ed about his inquirement of the engagement ring and calls ed on the carpet about not seizing the opportunity with carol earlier when he had the chance and ed realizes that dennis is right and gets more down in the dumps.

skip to the fair....as it turns out dennis didn't propse but instead askes carol to drive across country with him and she said yes so this means that she will be spending the summer with jackass away from ed. they say they will be leaving that night after the fair is over. ed of course has major problems with this and wants to tell carol to not go but somehow can't find the courage to ask her to stay.

cheswick and mark decide to try to win diane a big stuffed pink bear. after much trash talk warren wins and is seemingly in the lead in the 'who gets diane' race. mark is majorly in the dumps. ed and carol keep having moments together with many unspoken words and furtive glances but nothing much is said. mike and nancy arrange a ride on the ferris wheel for ed and carol in hopes that ed will reveal his feelings but once again ed chokes.

warren gets enough tickets for two for the ferris wheel thinking that he will take diane but instead she takes mark. while riding, they talk and long story short, they become a couple at the top of the ferris wheel. warren sees this from the ground and is then depressed for awhile until diane comes up to him and tells him that he is being an ass.

later on, everyone is saying goodbye to carol at the fair before she goes home to finish packing. after that and everyone leaves and it is just she and ed. she can't find the words to say goodbye so they just share a long and tender hug and then she goes home to pack.

cut to warren, mark and diane leaving the fair. warren has accepted the fact that he has lost diane to mark and is sorta ok with it and they are all leaving the fair together.

cut to carol's house and she is finishing her packing and there is a knock on the door, and it's ed. he tells her that he won a stuffed duck at the fair and they should name it. they settle on charlie. so as she finishes packing there is a knock on the door. he turns, looks her in the eye, and plants a HUGE kiss on her, at least 10 seconds, after which she just stands there is a haze. dennis comes in and ed says he was giving her a going away present, charlie the duck. ed tells them to have a good trip and walks out while carol is still just standing there speechless and near catatonic from the kiss. cut to a shot of ed outside the front door with a growing grin on his face. fade to black.

they keep us hanging on whether or not carol and principal jackass take the trip but color me shocked if it actually happens.

i hope that i got everything. everyone feel free to plug in any holes. i will check back with my opinions of the show later after my hands have recovered.
Old 05-15-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anyone else catch the reference to a Letterman bit called Is This Anything? When Shirley fell down without bracing herself as her talent and got up and said, "was that anything?" I thought that was hilarious.

I agree it was a pretty good show for the season finale. Most fans want Carol and Ed to be together but the major concern is if the show could go on if they were together. I think next year they will finally put the two together despite any concerns. I know the writer/producers keep an eye on forums like this and they gave everyone a $10 bet in the finale which I was happy to see again.

I'm a hetero male and I'm not sure if I could have taken a kiss like that and not jumped Ed right then and there. My guess is she doesn't go away and they start being together at the beginning of next season.
Old 05-15-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a hetero male and I think Dennis Martino is a handsome cool guy....even with the silver hair.
Old 05-16-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

of course carol is going to go away for the summer. this is SO dawson's creek/felicity. she's going away and when she comes back she will have broken up with PJ, and something is going to start up with Ed and Carol, but then something's going to interrupt the Ed/Carol relationship again and once again, we will back to the drawing board. PJ was a plot device.
Old 05-16-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

btw, did anyone find it hilarious when mike sighs on the ferris wheel and blurts out, "this is BORING!" ?
with all that serious romantic stuff going on on the ferris wheel, it totally came out of left field for me and i was cracking up. and i rarely laugh out loud when i'm watching TV by myself.
Old 05-16-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by clemente
I'm a hetero male and I think Dennis Martino is a handsome cool guy....even with the silver hair.
"he's got nice eyes...i think they might be hazel."

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-16-02 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-16-02, 03:02 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by clemente

Old 05-16-02, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by hahn
of course carol is going to go away for the summer. this is SO dawson's creek/felicity. she's going away and when she comes back she will have broken up with PJ, and something is going to start up with Ed and Carol, but then something's going to interrupt the Ed/Carol relationship again and once again, we will back to the drawing board. PJ was a plot device.
i'll bet you $10 that they don't go away together.
Old 05-16-02, 09:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy

"he's got nice eyes...i think they might be hazel."
That was hilarious when Mike said that.
Old 05-16-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kevin, thanks a bunch!
Old 05-16-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hahn
btw, did anyone find it hilarious when mike sighs on the ferris wheel and blurts out, "this is BORING!" ?
with all that serious romantic stuff going on on the ferris wheel, it totally came out of left field for me and i was cracking up. and i rarely laugh out loud when i'm watching TV by myself.
i remember busting up at that too great finale.
Old 05-16-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mark "I like ferris wheels. I'm just not sure if they like me."

Honk!
Old 05-16-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Kevin, thanks a bunch!
no problem. the best part of the show was perhaps the very last shot of ed on the porch. for some reason, it made me remember everything of what makes this show great. the camerawork was incredible and the smirk on ed's face as if to tell jackass, 'have a good summer BY YOURSELF!!'. priceless.
Old 05-17-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
the best part of the show was perhaps the very last shot of ed on the porch. for some reason, it made me remember everything of what makes this show great. the camerawork was incredible and the smirk on ed's face as if to tell jackass, 'have a good summer BY YOURSELF!!'. priceless.
Dude, you are so right. That was such a classy ending. It also could be read as, "For however much longer you two are together - when she's kissing you she'll be thinking about me!"

The look on Carol's face was also priceless, like she had an epiphany. For their eventual hookup and relationship, I think that Charlie the Duck should be their mascot.
Old 05-18-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great season ender. Question though...what was the song they played during the talent show montage towards the end when Ed keeps looking at Carol, and Warren keeps looking at Diane? I think it's fairly new, but I'm not familiar with it. Anyone know?
Old 05-18-02, 10:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Great season ender. Question though...what was the song they played during the talent show montage towards the end when Ed keeps looking at Carol, and Warren keeps looking at Diane? I think it's fairly new, but I'm not familiar with it. Anyone know?
I'm pretty sure that was "Yellow" by Coldplay.
Old 05-19-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. Great song.