Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

P.I. gets the hook.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.I. gets the hook.

Just read that Jimmy Kimmel inked a deal to host a post Nightline spot for ABC. Looks like Bill Maher now can devote all of his time to the Playboy mansion. Oh yeah, The Man Show also will bite the dust because of this move....not as soon though because they have so many episodes in the can.
Old 05-14-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like PI and will be sorry to see it go.
Old 05-14-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I hate Bill Maher. Unfortunately, the only man I hate more than him is Jimmy Kimmel.

It takes a real coward to fire a man from 3000 miles away...
Old 05-14-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'm pissed at ABC for canning Philly. Those bastards.
Old 05-14-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fielding Mellish - I happen to agree with what he said. I'm guessing you saw that episode and disagreed with him?
Old 05-14-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
I'm pissed at ABC for canning Philly. Those bastards.
This is yet another in a long list of bonehead moves by the idiots at ABC. Their attempt to reclaim glory through cheesy sit-coms will prove as successful as their attempt to own the airwaves with nothing but Millionaire. While FOX is just pissing people off by cancelling funny shows, ABC takes it to another level by cancelling truly great programming. Good thing they didn't have room for Once & Again too. Wouldn't want the network bogged down by unnecessary quality.

As for Maher, while some people have legitimate reasons to dislike him, most just hate him because someone else told them they should [Insert Sheep Noises Here]. Personally, I really dislike his personality, but much of what he says stirs up worthwhile conversations about things people often take for granted. I will miss the show.

das
Old 05-14-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Politically Incorrect, and while I don't always agree 100% with what Maher says, I admire his quick wit and the fact that he actually says things that others are afraid to say. I think his show is really important and there is nothing else like it on the air. I watch it every night.

So now other than Alias, I will have no reason to watch anything on ABC.

So I had heard his contract expires at the end of the year. Will they leave PI on until then or buy him out early?

I think HBO or Showtime ought to take over the show.
Old 05-14-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - that's what so funny about "the incident." Most of those who were pissed, NEVER EVEN SAW THE SHOW! Those that did, just didn't get it. Many were in the sheep category.

Jadzia - I don't always agree with him either, but I hope someone else does pick up the show. I think it's important. Nice to see you floating about.
Old 05-14-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Very sad news. While I don't agree with everything Maher says (eg. his gung-ho stance on military issues), and his brash demeanor leaves a lot to be desired, he makes statements that are important to hear in this culture of ever-increasing confluence of media and corporations. He questions and criticizes things that most of the country just blindly absorbs and accepts.
Old 05-14-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i used to like the show but lately its just annoying. apparently the only valid opinion is maher's or anyone that agrees with him. he usually cuts off anyone that disagrees or atleast thats whats its seemed like lately. also, a lot of his guests suck. if they are gonna discuss politics he should get people that atleast know something about it
Old 05-14-02, 01:56 PM
Banned

What I liked is that it had 3 liberals and 1 conservative as guests.
It takes 3 to try to shout down one.
All it took was the conservative to start talking about God, Jesus or anything in the Bible and the 3 liberals start making jokes or talking over the conservative guest as they are trying to speak. That's liberalism for you.
Old 05-14-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good, I hate him and his show.
Bill your a liberal don't pretend to be otherwise.
He would always have 3 liberals and 1 conservative on his show then he and his 3 buddies would gang up on the conservative.

He's a wise ass that thinks he knows it all.

Bye-bye Bill.
Old 05-14-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I think it's more of the fact that he would have on all Hollywood people who tend to be liberal. But he would always make sure that one seat was devoted to some non-celebrity "conservative commentator" to ensure a balanced discussion.

I can't remember him ever having on many "liberal" commentators on the show. So at least the conservatives get a dedicated space every night.

I agree with Maher on politics, religion, and most social issues, but I vehemently diasgree with him on his notion that the country is too "feminized" or whatever he's ranting about women.

His criticisms of the Bush administration has been spot on. He's been the only person, including the Democrats, to point out the one thing that Bush isn't asking us to do to fight terrorism: to stop consuming so much foreign oil.

Because of Maher, my next new car will be a hybrid.
Old 05-14-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elektra
Jadzia - I don't always agree with him either, but I hope someone else does pick up the show. I think it's important. Nice to see you floating about.
Nice to see you, too! TV Talk is the place to be
Old 05-14-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny, but I've seen pretty good mix on there. I've seen some big hitters in the republican camp on there and they've made a pretty good showing for themselves.

Oh, and being a liberal then is a bad thing? Can you clarify why?

Jadzia - We must hang out sometime.

Last edited by elektra; 05-14-02 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
While FOX is just pissing people off by cancelling funny shows, ABC takes it to another level by cancelling truly great programming. Good thing they didn't have room for Once & Again too. Wouldn't want the network bogged down by unnecessary quality.

Very well said, das. I'm still hoping senor greg will be back, but I've given up hope for O&A. Aside from Alias, NYPD Blue, and The Practice (which has been so boring/bad lately that I may not watch it anymore either), ABC gets no more of my attention. And as I've said before, I watch somewhere around 40 hrs of programming each week.

I didn't watch PI very often, but when I did it was quite funny. And I'm all for a forum where people get to speak their minds, so I'm sad to see it go.
Old 05-14-02, 11:29 PM
Banned

Liberals are so anti-God.
I've watched this show for 2 years.
Anything moral, the liberals on the show make fun on.
Old 05-15-02, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to see PI go. Of course no one agrees with everything Bill Maher says but the show was always a good debate with interesting topics. So what if it had more liberals.

FOX News smacks you in the face with conserativism when you flip that channel on.

Also, I love the Republican stance on liberals being so anti-God.

HAHA. This coming from the money-hungry party that doesn't mind if they sh** and piss on blacks, hispanics and "poor"
white people.

what a joke.

Does ABC have any shows left worth watching? I can't think of one. Except maybe NYPD Blue.
Old 05-15-02, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you be more specific about liberals being anti-god? And what morals you're refering to?

I've seen many people on that show considered liberals and they don't come across that way to me. I'd like to understand your perspective a bit more.
Old 05-15-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can you be more specific about liberals being anti-god? And what morals you're refering to?

I've seen many people on that show considered liberals and they don't come across that way to me. I'd like to understand your perspective a bit more.
You've been gone too long, honey. Check some of the archives to see what "morals" he is referring to. That's not to say that he's not entitled to them, just that his morals are different from, say, my morals. And as we discussed in another thread, his Bible is a different edition from mine (I think we determined I have the das Boot-leg edition where God loves everyone, including Black people).

das
Old 05-15-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
PI was one of the best shows on the air... when it was on Comedy Central.

I used to watch four of the previous week's episodes every Sunday morning, so I saw quite a few of them. Back then, Bill Maher was much more balanced. He wouldn't let an extremist (right or left wing) say something outrageous without challenging them on it. The stuttering answers he got out of these blowhards when they actually had to explain their positions were often the funniest part of the show.

Bill Maher seemed like an everyman, stuck in the midst of people too intent on their differences to bother looking at their similarities. Back then, he constantly illustrated the idea that if you lean too far one way or the other, you're likely to fall flat on your face. The show actually lived up to its name.

After he moved to ABC, he stopped being challenging. At least to the left-wing extremists. It seemed to me like he sold out for the bigger paycheck and became what he had once railed against. He had to take on the political tone of the network, and the show suffered because of it. It would have suffered just as much had it gone to Fox News Channel, and he’d taken on a conservative slant (I know FNC wasn’t around in ’97 – it’s just an example).

At least we still have South Park to offend everyone equally for awhile.
Old 05-15-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I've been called Liberal before and if I am one, I want to know why I'm supposed to be anti-god when I believe in god?

Dimension X - I think I can agree with that assessment. All the way down to South Park.
Old 05-15-02, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

das - I've been called Liberal before and if I am one, I want to know why I'm supposed to be anti-god when I believe in god?
I think by "anti-God" he means his God. That may or may not be the same one you believe in. It's certainly not the same one I believe in.

das
Old 05-15-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On last night's show, Bill said he didn't know when the last episode would be, but indicated it would be in a month or so.

I thought his contract expired in December--which is why Kimmel's show is starting in January. So I guess they are yanking him off sooner?

That sucks, I thought the show would be around much longer than that.
Old 05-15-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Sorry to see PI go. Of course no one agrees with everything Bill Maher says but the show was always a good debate with interesting topics. So what if it had more liberals.

Why not have an equal amount to be fair ?

FOX News smacks you in the face with conserativism when you flip that channel on.

Thank God for Fox. One conservative station vs all other liberal stations. Anyway, Fox always has an equal amount of liberals and conservative guests on. I wish they didn't. They should have 4 conservatives against 1 liberal (like PI does only opposite) and just all attack the liberal all night. That would be great.

Also, I love the Republican stance on liberals being so anti-God.

HAHA. This coming from the money-hungry party that doesn't mind if they sh** and piss on blacks, hispanics and "poor"
white people.

The Democrats aren't money hungry ? Clinton's fundraisers ring a bell ? Hillary's investments ?
Don't pretend Democrats don't like having money. There are just as much if not more rich Democrats than Republicans.

As for the Democrats caring about the poor people, let me ask you this:
Who cares more about the poor people, the party that tries to get them off welfare and be able to work and support themselves or the party that gives them just enough in handouts to be dependent upon that party ?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.