Er 05/02

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Er 05/02

I dont know, I thought that :
Spoiler:
They just seem to throw away Dr. Greene's death... It seemed like 'hohum... life goes on'. I know people don't like sappy episodes, but damn, I excepted this to be a sad episode, but there was really nothing sad about it. They just took Carter and basically made him the new Dr. Greene. The ending was like 'He's forgotten, get over it, next season you won't even remember he was ever here'.

Shrug... Not sure what anyone else though... but I expected a bit more.
Old 05-02-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And you saw this episode how? It's presently 8:15 on the east coast. It won't air for another hour and 45 minutes.
Old 05-02-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does he die tonight, or did he already die, and this is just the "aftermath" episode?
Old 05-02-02, 09:15 PM

I missed the first 10 min. What did the letter say ?
Old 05-02-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Basically, Carter read a fax from Greene that talked about how much he missed the ER and his staff. It also talked a little about his personal feelings. Poor Susan was getting really choked up over it all. That's one of the first time's I've ever felt bad for a TV character. After finishing Greene's fax, he read another one from Corday that said Mark had passed away. Susan looked as if she was in shock and all the other staff walked away mourning as she was left standing there by herself.
Old 05-02-02, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Spoiler:
Basically, Carter read a fax from Greene that talked about how much he missed the ER and his staff. It also talked a little about his personal feelings. Poor Susan was getting really choked up over it all. That's one of the first time's I've ever felt bad for a TV character. After finishing Greene's fax, he read another one from Corday that said Mark had passed away. Susan looked as if she was in shock and all the other staff walked away mourning as she was left standing there by herself.
Thanks
Old 05-02-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Steelers Fan
I missed the first 10 min. What did the letter say ?
Damn after I type the whole thing someone beats me to it.
Old 05-02-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone notice
Spoiler:
Sherry Stringfield's (sp?) character putting the push-pins in the bottom of Dr. Greene's fax? Did you notice how in the last shot, they had been pulled out (again) leaving the three papers free to blow in the wind? I thought that was a nice touch.

And Dr. Carter
Spoiler:
taking Dr. Greene's stethescope?

I thought it was a good episode. The entire episode was about Dr. Greene's death and how it affected the ER. Everyone seemed to be less focused.
Old 05-02-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm about 90% sure that the scene outside between Gallant and Carter was a almost a shot by shot homage to the Pilot, where carter and Greene have the same conversation. I think the dialouge might have been exactly the same too, its been a couple of years since i've seen the pilot though. If anyone has it on tape, they might compare the two while tonight is still fresh in their brain.
Old 05-02-02, 10:04 PM

Spoiler:
Also to note was Carter's talk with Durant where he basically said the same thing that Greene had said to him the first season when he lost his first patient. I thought this was a terrific episode; quite touching. I also like how this week we got things from the ER's perspective and next week seems to be things from Greene's perspective in his final days.
Old 05-02-02, 10:05 PM

Doh! ClarkKentNY beat me to it by 3 mins. I was in the middle of typing it up when you posted. But yeah it was essentially the same talk. Great episode.
Old 05-02-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Neush
Doh! ClarkKentNY beat me to it by 3 mins. I was in the middle of typing it up when you posted. But yeah it was essentially the same talk. Great episode.
Hehe. Sorry

The most errily familiar parts were "Ya know, people come in here looking for our help, and they're sick, or dying.." And the part where you can see the silouette in the puddle ... Those I KNOW were in the pilot, but i also think the other dialouge, about being sick, and how you have to disconect yourself were in the pilot too, cause they seemed so non specific...

Great homage, it really shows the progression of the series. You could have ended the series right there and it would have been so classic.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 05-02-02 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Originally posted by shaun3000
Anyone notice
Spoiler:
Sherry Stringfield's (sp?) character putting the push-pins in the bottom of Dr. Greene's fax? Did you notice how in the last shot, they had been pulled out (again) leaving the three papers free to blow in the wind? I thought that was a nice touch.
Spoiler:
Did you also notice that there was an outline around all the papers as if they had been hanging in that spot for quite awhile? I take it that that shot was supposed to be several months in the future (during a heat wave) and the staff left his note hanging there.

Great episode. I thought it was a good way to end it with Mark and the staff to have everyone unable to think about anything but Dr. Greene.
Old 05-02-02, 11:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
Spoiler:
Did you also notice that there was an outline around all the papers as if they had been hanging in that spot for quite awhile? I take it that that shot was supposed to be several months in the future (during a heat wave) and the staff left his note hanging there.
I noticed the outline... but they didn't seem to match up exactly. I thought they were left from other papers. But thinking about it, since people during most of the show were wearing coats, and they made it blatantly obvious that the scene at the end of the show was during summer, you're probably right.
Old 05-02-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Episode recap and my thoughts:

The passing of the torch from Mark Greene to Carter is finally complete. Korday sends the ER a letter that Mark wrote as a beautiful farewell letter to all of his co-workers, and concludes it with the news that Mark passed away.

As expected, the news hits the main characters in different ways: Weaver is almost incapacitated by the news, she has a hard time dealing with it because he stood up to her, while remaining as pragmatic and honorable as possible and doing his job. Susan cries anytime she has nothing to do or when she sits down. Carter is aware of what Mark meant to the ER and to him in how he developed Carter into the ER physician he is today, but Carter is shell-shocked, and can't make decisions fast enough to save a man whose airway is obstructed and Romano has to save the day with a clever tracheotomy. Romano is reflective of how the body can turn on itself in the form of cancer as he removes malignant growth in a girl (found only due to her being injured) that was hit by accident along with her father.

Most of the ER staff show up for a get together in Mark's honor at a bar in which they celebrated Mark's birthday in the past. Abby is drinking a huge margarita-like drink, gets buzzed, and Carter shows up and finds her, and wants to take her to an AA meeting. She bites his arm when he picks her up and puts her on his shoulder. They, instead, have coffee. Abby promises to go to an AA meeting that day.

Carter, pulling an all-nighter with sobering up Abby, has to be back at the ER early in the morning, and he and Pratt deal with Mark's diabetic, multi-medical problem patient. Finally that patient mistakes Carter for Mark (his eyesight must have gone bad on him with his diabetic condition), and Carter stays with the patient until he passes away (Carter dozes off to sleep).

Weaver interrupts Susan and Carter in the doctor's lounge while he is offering comfort to Susan. Weaver then starts to clean out Mark's locker, but can't bear to finish the job, and asks Carter to finish up, and he obliges. Weaver tells Carter that the rest of the ER will be looking to him to be the man in charge, to fill Mark's shoes. During the clean-up, the equivalent of passing the ER torch to Carter is done when Carter sees Mark's stethescope, and takes it as his own now. It was a nice scene.

Abby tells Carter that she did go to an AA meeting that day, and that she did it for him.

Later, in a case where some guy almost shoots off his face, Gallant has problems with the severity of the injuries and almost throws up. Carter tells Gallant to go get some air. Later history repeats itself when Carter goes to see Gallant outside and tells him that there are 2 kinds of doctors, those who shut down their feelings, and those who don't. No shame in being a doctor with feelings, and offers encouragement to Gallant. Mark did this with Carter 8 years ago when Carter was still a med student in the ER. Again, Carter is stepping up and carrying on the mantle to fill Mark's shoes.

Oh, Pratt's stuck at County General because he got his 3rd choice for hospitals to work at for his residency.
Old 05-03-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well...i was surprised by this ep [the whole Greene dying thing...] and THEN to find out NEXT WEEK will be Anthony Edwards' last episode. [Thanks to NBC's lovely promo department -- by the way guys, "episode" is NOT spelled "eposide"]

But i DEFINITELY agree with Feneant.
Old 05-03-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BTW, I see ER early cause I'm special... or it might be that it airs an hour earlier around here.
Old 05-03-02, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Feneant
BTW, I see ER early cause I'm special... or it might be that it airs an hour earlier around here.
Yeah I was curious about this too... mind telling us where you live? I was under the impression that shows broadcast first on the east coast and then moved thru the timezones going west. Didn't know somebody could actually see it before it aired in the east.
Old 05-04-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
was that "Corky" from Life Goes On?
if so, glad to see him getting some work
wish biatch kerry hadn't yelled at him