TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 5/1

Old 05-02-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise 5/1

Hmmm, no Enterprise thread yet?

Am I the only one still watching?

I thought this was a pretty cool episode. Had a couple of things that people have been complaining about recently. Translation problems, an alien that doesn't look/act human, and character development of the supporting cast.

Something I didn't like: Malcom inventing (okay just 'improving') the force field. Why does everything have to revolve around Enterprise? Oh yeah and let me get this straight, there's no baseball in the future, but they are subspace broadcasting college water polo games? Lame. I was hoping it would be some futuristic game like they played in Battlestar Gallactica.

I like seeing Dr. Phlox stand up for himself. He seems to be the most well written 'solid' character on the show.
Old 05-02-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it last night and a few nights ago. I saw the one where the dude that was also on Q-Leap was guesting and then last night's ep where the Captain and a few others are caught in this huge thing of silly string. Does the Captain get captured in every episode? The second episode was better than the first. I am not a huge ST fan, I use to watch TNG if I would catch it.
Old 05-02-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, an episode of "Enterprise" involving a giant spider-web like creature airing the same week as the "Spider-man" film?

Coincidence?

I'll admit I had the television on (not that it matters since I don't have the magic Neilson box) while "Enterprise" was playing, but the review of the new Tom Waits' albums in Rolling Stone was marginally more interesting.

"Enterprise" better start having a purpose soon. There needs to be some motivation for what the ship is doing beyond just "checking stuff out."

The whole "we're explorers and we want to be your friend" schtick is getting real thin real fast.
Old 05-02-02, 11:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I'm getting bored with this series. The lack of story arcs really bothers me. There's none of what I loved about TNG and DS9 - the political maneuvering, the sense of something dangerous on a grand scale, the sense of what was going on in the galaxy around them. I know Enterprise is supposed to be happening when humans were just starting to explore the galaxy, but what about the political intrigue which must have been involved in the years shortly preceding the Federation?

I'm going to watch the rest of the season and start on next season to give it a chance, but right now I feel like watching it is a chore. I don't eagerly await each new episode.
Old 05-02-02, 11:14 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
"Enterprise" better start having a purpose soon. There needs to be some motivation for what the ship is doing beyond just "checking stuff out."

The whole "we're explorers and we want to be your friend" schtick is getting real thin real fast.
Exactly what I was trying to say.
Old 05-02-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
The whole thing reminded me of that deleted scene from Alien.

Another blah episode. I found the whole food/mouth exchange that the helmsman had with those aliens the best part of the episode.
Old 05-02-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was pretty much a yawner for me. I watched it, but it was mostly just pieced together fragments of TNG episodes.

das
Old 05-02-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was better than last week's episode and the "aliens who look like Ferengi, but whose name isn't mentioned on the episode." episode, but nothing to write home around.

Although I doubt they'll be ordering wraps for lunch for quite a while.
Old 05-02-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This show (the specific episode and the show in general) is just about as bland as you can get. Every week, I finish with a distinct "been there, done that" attitude.

In my opinion, there has only been one very good episode all year -- the one where Phlox has to decide whether or not to interfere with the evolution of those 2 races. ("Dear Doctor", I think?) That was not only a great character-building episode, but it also was very "classic trek" in theme and purpose.

Most of the episodes haven't sucked, they've just been very, very bland. I don't see myself sticking with this very far into season 2 without some major improvements. Unfortunately, B&B's idea of "improving" the show seems to be sticking the vulcan in a sonic shower scene.
Old 05-02-02, 02:06 PM

Re: Enterprise 5/1

Originally posted by CharlesC

I like seeing Dr. Phlox stand up for himself. He seems to be the most well written 'solid' character on the show.

I agree. The "Dear Doctor" episode I think is still the best one to date. It was beautifully done.
Old 05-03-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with everyone, another poor episode. Changes I would have made, when the doctor would not let the security chief experiment on the piece of the alien, my script would have shown the doctor getting his ass kicked. Also when the captian discovered they could read each others mind, I would have gone into something involving the two crewman, relationship wise.
Also as always at the end to save the day they find a cure, a way to communicate, or fix something broken. Please! enough already, just blow the damn ship up!
Old 05-05-02, 02:17 PM

I have to agree with the general tone of the posts here.

I'm watching Enterprise, but most definitely prefer TNG, DS9, Voyager.

It seems too "safe" for me. I never get any real sense of drama like I do from the rest of the franchise.

I'm sure I will continue to watch, since I always feel so starved for Sci-Fi.

-- Jenny
Old 05-05-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I think we're seeing just how much of a story-crutch the holodeck and technobabble was for the star trek "creative" team. Without being able to get the characters stuck in the middle of the Canterbury Tales or some trashy detective novel every few weeks, and without some miraculous invention to save the day, they simply don't know what to do.

I'm enjoying Enterprise because I like the crew a lot more than Voyager or DS9, but they do need to up the excitement level some.
Old 05-05-02, 10:13 PM
Banned

Okay, this series is turning out to be another Voyager. I hope to God its not because I like this cast and Voyager sucked hard.

We really need some mythology episodes. Like deep space 9 had. Im getting sick of seeing Enterprise flying place to place every week. Doing the same bulls**t that weve seen a billion times during the original broadcast of Star Trek and Voyager.

I have a question. Why doesn't Archer's quarters smell like dog crap and piss?
Old 05-07-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My question is, why is this show still on the air? Can it get any more boring? It's not that the shows are more character oriented, it's that these people are so very boring.

This weeks rehash of other sci/fi-trek plots was just a yawner. The only interesting thing was the exchanges between T'pol and Hoshi.

I think I'll pretty much write this show off. It's just so lame.
Old 05-07-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
My question is, why is this show still on the air?

One word: franchise.

Can it get any more boring?

One word: Voyager (shudder)

Right now, Enterprise still qualifies as Trek (bad Trek) in my mind, and is therefore still one level above that other show. So far, they haven't blatantly sacrificed their morality just to move the plot along (or if they do, they at least discuss the problems with it - obvious Prime Directive discussions). Also, they haven't pathetically relied on the Borg or Q to salvage their show. Granted, we're only in the first season, and it took that other show a few seasons to descend into the monstrosity it ultimately became; but for now, it hasn't earned my hatred. It's simply a really lame show that's not worth my time, and surprisingly, that's not as bad as the last one.

das
Old 05-07-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - agreed. It's lame and not as suck -- yet -- as Voyager. Sad news is, the Weather Channel is more interesting.
Old 05-07-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Yes the stories are boring
Yes they are rehashing standard Star Trek stuff
No they haven't developed the characters yet

But.....the show is still in the first season.

After watching the first season of TNG & The X-Files I remember how bad and/or slow the first seasons of most shows are (I think DS9 & B5 were pretty good from the start but they still needed improvement).

All we can do is cross our fingers and hope the writers find some creativity really soon. Even Star Trek shows don't get really good until the 2nd or 3rd season.
Old 05-07-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still feel TNG and The X-Files were way better they're first season than this show. The characters were at least interesting and the stories in the X-Files were really good. Heck, Angel in it's first season was really good too.