Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 04/24/2002

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise 04/24/2002

Was Enterprise on last night? I set my vcr in the HT to record it, then went upstairs to watch the SE Survivor.

Since no one has started a thread I'm wondering if it wasn't on.
Old 04-25-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was on, AND it was a new one.

Pretty good episode, except for one thing.

Why, why, why, did Captain Archer have to say 'Y'know this same type of thing happened on Earth in WWII with the Japanese'.
Do they really have to insult the audience like that? Isn't it bad enough that they are drawing such a straight line from WWII to the plot of Enterprise anyway?
Old 04-25-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
I thought the episode was pretty boring myself.
Old 04-25-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only boring, but whats with the ww II stuff. That's why I stopped watching voyager. It's like they are saying we were the bad guys during the war. Freaking liberals.
Old 04-25-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least they got the inevitable "Quantum Leap" ( ) reunion episode out of the way.

And pardon me - but I didn't remember the Suliban episodes in quite as much detail as was recounted in the exposition scenes between Archer and the detention center warden.

There were far too few Suliban "myth-arc" tales for me to keep track of who was who and who was bad. As far as I can remember, last night's episode was the first I'd heard of a Suliban "cabal."

And since the temporal cold-war plotline seemed to go nowhere, I've pretty much put it out of my mind.

"Enterprise" really needs to get on track with a coherent over-arching story. These aimless episodic exploration installments make following the myth-arc very, very difficult.
Old 04-25-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Star Trek and Sci-Fi. But I am tired of the same old recycled stories and the ratings gemics like gourgeous models in skin tight jump suits. Lets have something new and interesting or nothing at all!
Old 04-25-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by latenight
I love Star Trek and Sci-Fi. But I am tired of the same old recycled stories and the ratings gemics like gourgeous models in skin tight jump suits. Lets have something new and interesting or nothing at all!
Yeah! Like models in nothing at all!

Its ridiculous that the writers of Star Trek put all the aliens in clothes! Are they trying to tell us that in all the galaxy there isn't one alien species -- consisting entirely of gourgeous models -- that run around butt-naked?!?!
Its downright insulting I tell ya!
Old 04-25-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CharlesC

Yeah! Like models in nothing at all!

Its ridiculous that the writers of Star Trek put all the aliens in clothes! Are they trying to tell us that in all the galaxy there isn't one alien species -- consisting entirely of gourgeous models -- that run around butt-naked?!?!
Its downright insulting I tell ya!
Your right! Like the aliens in Europe! I just love there beach wear!
Old 04-25-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the suliban cabal was mentioned in the pilot episode

when Al asked Sam if he had been in Oklahoma, he should have asked if he'd ever been to a secret lab in New Mexico built on top of the site of the first nuclear weapons explosion
Old 04-25-02, 08:21 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

I was expecting Al to slap that handheld thing he had a few times.

I want to like this show, but right now they're not giving me much of a reason to. I know ST:TNG and Ds9 took a while, but I'm not even seeing the attemps that those shows made.
Old 04-25-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CharlesC
Pretty good episode, except for one thing.

Why, why, why, did Captain Archer have to say 'Y'know this same type of thing happened on Earth in WWII with the Japanese'.
Do they really have to insult the audience like that? Isn't it bad enough that they are drawing such a straight line from WWII to the plot of Enterprise anyway?
This pretty much echoes my thoughts. For the most part, I almost enjoyed this episode. Aside from the Suliban stuff, it was a throwback to the original series. I think I would have enjoyed it more if not for the following:

Star Trek tackled current events and refered to them negatively in the past tense. It was bold and revolutionary. Enterprise tackled something in our past that's already accepted as a bad moment in American history. The metaphor is nowhere near as powerful. And then to go and explain it, like we didn't get it ... insulting.

Still, I like that they're getting back to showing the crew working together and coming up with interesting plans to get out of trouble. That horrible weekly piece of trash that aired between Deep Space Nine and the current incarnation strayed so far from that and consistently relied on lame technobabble to solve things. N'Pol's antics to distract Al while Hoshi manipulated the transmission were reminiscent of the good ol' days and gives me hope (slim) for the future.

das
Old 04-25-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
this episode also tackled current stuff
notice how the Medium E's crew was totally suspicious and hateful towards the Suliban at first, even though these Suliban had done nothing wrong?
Kind of like how many Americans are being suspicious and hateful towards all arabs
Old 04-25-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mikehunt
this episode also tackled current stuff
notice how the Medium E's crew was totally suspicious and hateful towards the Suliban at first, even though these Suliban had done nothing wrong?
Kind of like how many Americans are being suspicious and hateful towards all arabs
Topical out of coincidence, I think. History repeats itself, and invariably you could draw parallels to many events, but it seemed obvious (especially with the silly exposition) that they were shooting for Japanese internment camps. The fact that racial profiling and fear of people who look different still exists today is just an unfortunate coincidence. But perhaps I'll give B&B the benefit of the doubt on this one.

das
Old 04-25-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
But perhaps I'll give B&B the benefit of the doubt on this one.

das
Jee-zus key-rist on a pogo stick!! I turn my back on you for just a few weeks and look what happens, you're singing their praises.

Next I'll find out you've given up your boycott of Sci-Fi Channel...

Old 04-25-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
Jee-zus key-rist on a pogo stick!! I turn my back on you for just a few weeks and look what happens, you're singing their praises.

Next I'll find out you've given up your boycott of Sci-Fi Channel...

Heh ... if "I almost enjoyed this episode" and "slim hope for the future" counts as "praise" ... well, I guess in comparison to that other show that I wouldn't even wipe my ass with, comments like that may be praise.

Have no fear. The Sci-Fi Boycott is going strong, and Brannon Braga still sits atop my "If I meet him again, I'll plant my boot in his nads" list. Bonnie Hammer would be there, but well ... no nads.

das
Old 04-25-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, dude. With the exception of the final season, I enjoyed just about any two or three episodes of that piece of crap better than the entire season of this waste-treatment spillage. (Unless you count bitching about it as enjoyment...)

Hell, my 6-year-old Scottish Terrier said to me, about 5 minutes into the show, "They aren't going to tie this to the WWII camps, are they? I've never even heard of them and can see it coming." At which point he left the room, realizing that Porthos prolly wouldn't be in the episode...
Old 04-25-02, 11:24 PM
Banned

Boy oh Boy is this show bad.
I wanted to like it, I did, but the show is just so generic and paint by numbers that I just cant watch it.

I had tuned out after about 8 episodes and tuned in last night again because of the Quantum Leap Reunion but other than a good performance by Stockwell this was a real boring episode. And the Internment Speech made me role my eyes. Was that suppose to be the Heart of the episode as only Braga and Berman can write it???

I watch Farscape and see how they just turn Sci Fi on its head and take a typical plot and make it a winner. I see a show with characters that change and grow and are shades of grey instead of just Black and White like on Enterprise. Farscape is edgy and not always politically correct. Enterprise is the same as Voyager. It doesnt take chances and it shows.

Do we know any of the character aside from Archer, Tripp and T'pol?? This Merywether guy is one note and just pittiful to watch and the Asian chick that does the languages is being wasted as well.

As someone who grew up with Trek, it's dissapointing to see these two guys run the franchise into the ground. They really need to hand the reins over to someone else.
Old 04-26-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Was anyone else not bothered by the fact that this guy runs his ass out of the internment camp seemingly forgetting that his wife that he misses so much is still trapped in another one? Poor lady is going to write him another letter and she's going to get a return to sender notice.
Old 04-26-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, dude. With the exception of the final season, I enjoyed just about any two or three episodes of that piece of crap better than the entire season of this waste-treatment spillage. (Unless you count bitching about it as enjoyment...)
Which is the worse of these two evils is still TBD, but it's definitely a neck-and-neck race. I give the advantage to the other show for now, but I won't argue against this one closing in fast.

das
Old 04-26-02, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way I can see any benefit out of this eps is if it somehow fits into the whole Suliban-arc somehow later on (the person saved here helps Enterprise later on). Beyond that it was just another of the "look how evil this is"/preachy eps that have been done adnauseam in ST. JMO
Old 04-26-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are no "arcs", at least as we understand them. The Suliban are simply recurring characters. Each ep is basically a standalone, which is fortunate as the writers obviously haven’t the intelligence to try something as complicated as a story arc. (Except for the usual “Howdy! We’re from Earth! Kin we hep ya? You wanna be my friend?”)

Since “Enterprise” is eventually going to be sold to TNN, they have to keep things on the simplest level. I predict that in some future ep we’ll see a shuttlepod up on cinderblocks.
Old 04-26-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since “Enterprise” is eventually going to be sold to TNN, they have to keep things on the simplest level. I predict that in some future ep we’ll see a shuttlepod up on cinderblocks.
Before or after Tripp grows a mullet?

das
Old 04-26-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Before or after Tripp grows a mullet?

das

Old 04-26-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
the suliban cabal was mentioned in the pilot episode
It may have been mentioned. But my memory of the pilot is fast fading. The repeated use of the word "cabal" in the internment episode just struck me as out-of-place and disorienting somehow.

While I had had high hopes for the series, that hope is quickly dissipating. Too many mediocre episodes crammed together for my tastes.

Of course, I'll still watch - Trek whore that I am.
Old 04-26-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Was anyone else not bothered by the fact that this guy runs his ass out of the internment camp seemingly forgetting that his wife that he misses so much is still trapped in another one? Poor lady is going to write him another letter and she's going to get a return to sender notice.
My thoughts exactly! Shows the crappy writting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.