Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed 4/24/02

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ed 4/24/02

Missed last week's Ed, but saw it tonight.

In a plot like "Best of Times" where Ed is messed up by the recounting of his free throw miss in the high school championship 15 years ago, and Ed thinks he missed out on living a different life, the life of a "winner" or a "Have" vs. a "Have not".

Shirley has the hots for a delivery man, and Phil and Kenny make like cupid. It seemed to work.

During a re-match of the game, Ed pulls his hamstring on the 1st possession of the game and has to sit out the rest of the game. Still frustrated, he makes a bet: $5000 if he missed a re-creation of the high school free throw shot, or he and his school get the championship trophy if he makes the shot.

In an effort to comfort Molly who still has issues with Jim, Ed dresses up like a gorilla and delivers a Gorilla-gram. Molly and Ed talk, and Ed talks about the free throw and how he thinks his life would have been like if he made the free throw. Molly counters with the observation that he would not be the person he is today, a nutty friend who'd dress up like a gorilla to cheer up a friend, so who's the worst for not making that free throw?

The whole last 3 seconds of the game is replayed at the school gym, everyone is in their uniforms, Ed even gets the referee from that fateful game, and
Spoiler:
Ed totally chokes the free throw, and has an expensive free throw to pay for. Molly consoles Ed and knows why he purposefully missed the free throw - in order to stay the person he's become in the last 15 years
Old 04-24-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the last 10 minutes or so of this was a prime example of what makes this show so incredible. it's not the big things but the small ones. here i am talking about the scene with shirley and jack when he said just a few words to her and the way her face lit up was so perfectly acted. then the scene where ed was dressed as the gorilla was reminiscint of the first episode with ed dressing up as carol's knight. all in all a pretty good episode with the last 10 minutes rating

now onto next week. it will be interesting to see what happens when push comes to shove with ed and pricipal jackass. how far will ed go to try once again to win the girl of his dreams? i can't wait!
Old 04-24-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by kevin75
now onto next week. it will be interesting to see what happens when push comes to shove with ed and pricipal jackass. how far will ed go to try once again to win the girl of his dreams? i can't wait!
I really think that the teaser is so misselling next week's episode, not solid facts, but just my gut feeling.

As for this weeks episode, I just felt the "road taken and road not taken" angle had been done a few times before, so I kinda lost interest in the episode for a while. What made this episode rise from the depths of average to damn good, was the Gorilla-Gram. Classic Ed Stevens.

The Shirley/delivery guy sub plot payed off so well too.
Old 04-24-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked this one, it really did go towards the quirky sweet comedy of last year's Eds (as opposed to the high-drama Ed from last episode)

I absolutely loved Phil's mouse trap like contraption for Shirley to say "Hi Jack" I almost choked on my laughter when they set it in action
Old 04-25-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The other funny bit was when Phil and Shirley are walking around the bowling alley talking and the camera is following them around, and Shirley asks why they were walking around and talking, and Phil says something to the effect that they do it on the West Wing and it makes conversations look more important. HAHA.
Old 04-25-02, 08:27 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Definately a good episode last night. I also cannot wait for next weeks episode to see the blowup between Ed and Jackass
Old 04-25-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Bring it on!"
Old 04-25-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority in that I thought last night's episode sucked. The Shirley/Kenny/Phil subplot was good, but I thought the whole "15 years ago I missed a free throw" whining was out of character for both Ed and the show. The Jim/Molly thing felt like a poorly written soap opera. The preview for next week wasn't that encouraging either. The show had such a great original comedic tone to it last year. It's like they didn't have enough positive response to further develop that, so they're trying to rope people into watching with drama.
Old 04-26-02, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

max, i will agree that this season has been nowhere near the quality level of last, but i am hoping that next season will return ed to it's previous comedic glory!!
Old 04-26-02, 12:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim & Molly... ugh. Stay away, girl! Good for you!

And why the hell does Ed consider himself a have-not? "Man, my life sucks. I'm a lawyer. I own a bowling alley. I have lots of friends. I got to get it on with Kelly Ripa." Puh-frickin'-leeze. I might have been more able to get into tonight's show if I didn't think Ed was being a complete baby.
Old 04-26-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Ed's just sad that he doesn't have Carol.

BTW, anyone seen Carol's (Julie Bowen's) fake tan commercial? It's bizarre!
Old 04-26-02, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Patman
True... and after thinking about it some more, the fact that he walked in on his wife and another guy in bed probably didn't help his ego, either.
Ew. No. Part of me has this morbidly curious desire to see it, and part of me wants to run fleeing from any fake tanning lotion.
Old 04-26-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude!!
Julie Bowen is damn hot. Hell she'd make my top5 list just about any day, but that commercial is crazy.

Talk about making a hot woman look nasty!
Old 04-27-02, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First off, I think Julie Bowen would be hot in any color but I think the whole point of the commerical is to make the stuff seem like it gives a realistic looking tan. And Julie is there looking like an Oompa-Loompa. Totally orange. But if the choice is seeing her orange or not seeing her at all...orange works for me.

I love this show and I'm surprised NBC seems to be trying to kill it. Seems like maybe they don't want Letterman to have a hit on their network. Dave talks more about it than NBC promotes it and instead of showing reruns to attract new viewers, they use the time to show stupid specials with Tom Brokaw. It's just doing well enough that I think it makes it back next year, but this network sure has a reputation for killing off terrific shows (Freaks and Geeks, Newsradio) so who knows.

I don't think the actor who plays Mike gets enough attention. He would make an excellent best friend and I like his VERY dry sense of humor. He sure doesn't seem to practice medicine much.
Old 04-27-02, 03:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sometimes I get the feeling that they tried to squeeze too much into this show.

"Okay... we've got our main character, the lawyer, so that covers fans of The Practice. And our ER demographic will love the main character's doctor friend. Quirky humor and romance covers the Gilmore Girls lovers. We're set! Bring on the ratings!"
Old 04-28-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
Dave talks more about it than NBC promotes it and instead of showing reruns to attract new viewers, they use the time to show stupid specials with Tom Brokaw. It's just doing well enough that I think it makes it back next year, but this network sure has a reputation for killing off terrific shows (Freaks and Geeks, Newsradio) so who knows.
I don't watch Dave..ever, but does he actually talk much about the show? (I know he's the Exec. Producer)

OT: As for Newsradio, I don't think I'd place the blame on NBC? I loved Newsradio too, but once Phil Hartman passed, the show just reeked up the joint.
Old 04-28-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by clemente

I don't watch Dave..ever, but does he actually talk much about the show? (I know he's the Exec. Producer)

OT: As for Newsradio, I don't think I'd place the blame on NBC? I loved Newsradio too, but once Phil Hartman passed, the show just reeked up the joint.
About Newsradio, your comment seems to be what most people remember: that last mediocre season without Phil Hartman. It was a disappointing season, but NBC did everything to kill the show long before that. It got so desparate that Jerry Seinfeld openly lauded the show to try and use his HUGE influence to keep the show on and he even did a guest spot. I think NBC moved this show around 7 times in 3 years. I think the seasons with Phil Hartman were as good as any other sitcom ever. Same with Freaks and Geeks. Ed is not perfect, but NBC seems intent on not helping it out much and it sure is better than most of the other crap on tv.

Dave even showed a clip of Paul's appearance as the ref of the basketball game where Ed missed the big shot.
Old 05-02-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I missed an episode somewhere. I thought this 4/24 episode was supposed to be the one where Ed's Doctor-buddy gets sued for sexual harassment? That was what the trailers from the previous week showed, but that wasn't what was on. Did I miss an episode somehow, or did they just not show the sexual harassment episode? I tried to find a thread on here about the Ed from the prior week, but didn't see one out there.