Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone get distant nets on Dish Network?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get NBC from NYC and LA because at the time I signed up for the Dish Network my address qualified for distant nets for NBC and FOX. Anyway, I got a letter in the first week of April saying that yadda yadda some law was passed yadda yadda something about shutting off distant nets on April 15th. Well as of yesterday (the 21st) I still have both NBCs. Anyone else get a letter? Did they shut yours off? Just wondering because I added my locals since I thought I was losing NBC (and I dont want to tape my NBC shows off of cable), but if I am still going to get just NBC then I don't need the $5.99 locals. NBC in LA's picture is perfect with color and sharpness so I really don't want to lose it of course
Old 04-22-02, 03:43 PM

I get distant networks too and care not to receive one of those letters I have heard about. The apartment manager refuses to allow me to position my dish for optimal reception, so it is on a fence post in a bucket of cement on the 2nd floor balcony of my apartment. With leaves sprouting on trees and no place to 'legally' put my dish, I am having signal problems and worried about getting past them. Anyway, I get all the networks except ABC since my local ABC affiliate refuses waiver requests time and time again... even though their reception is crap from my location. If I could get ABC off the dish, I'd pay $4.99/month. Instead I pay $6/month and get 2 FOXes (NY and LA), CBS-LA and NBC-LA (I use the west coast time delay as an advantage). I'd be pissed if I lost these. Two channels are waivered, the last was suddenly approved at the addressbroker webpage, even though it was always denied before. Go figure. The TV market is not big enough here to pick up my local channels from the dish. If the merger goes through, I hope locals will be made available.. though I will miss the 3-hour time advantage from west coast feeds.
Old 04-22-02, 04:22 PM

I get them. I got the letter in the 1st week of February and have been waiting for them to go away since then. Still got them.

NBC provided a waiver but I'm expecting LA ABC to go, but not sure when.
Old 04-22-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get Charlotte for some reason even though I live in Chicago. Charlotte ABC, CBS, FOX. I don't complain though, because as long as I get my Chicago locals I'm happy.
Old 04-22-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never had to get a waiver, but if they do take them away maybe I will try that if you still can.

What sucks is I had to change my Tivo season pass's to the locals just in case, but my NBC LA comes in perfect. I was going to call and ask, but then they may be "oops we forgot to remove them" heh.
Old 04-23-02, 04:30 PM

Actually I believe Dish submits a waiver request for every distant subscriber on their behalf. If the waiver is denied they cut you off. No response or approved they leave you turned on.
Old 04-23-02, 05:23 PM

I'm still receiving all of the NYC channels fine, here in Indiana. Ive never received a letter from them, and I dont think I had to get a waiver due to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere.

It is kind of weird having all of the t.v. shows come on an hour earlier now though!
Old 04-23-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by andyf
Actually I believe Dish submits a waiver request for every distant subscriber on their behalf. If the waiver is denied they cut you off. No response or approved they leave you turned on.
Oh... I see. Then perhaps they sent the letter to me meaning it may get shut off on the 15th. I still have it so perhaps my local NBC signed a waiver. How nice if they did
Old 04-23-02, 08:26 PM

Actually you can request specific waivers from specific affiliates. For example... over two years ago I asked to be waivered for all 4 big networks. Two approved, two denied the request. Fast forward 2+ years.. for an unknown reason suddenly CBS is showing as available for me at my address using

http://customersupport.dishnetwork.c...ocalsCheck.jsp

So I added that. Now ABC is the only big network I am missing, so I asked Dish Network to request a waiver on my behalf. They only sent out a single waiver to my local ABC station. The station denied it within 2 weeks, so I still am not allowed to purchase ABC over distant networks. ABC must have it out for people here.. it is either their ABC station or no ABC station at all, oblivious to the fact their signal is unacceptable in an apartmental environment. I won't pay the cable company $25 for a basic lineup JUST to receive ABC, so I do without it. I know a reason ABC won't approve the waiver... $$$ from local advertisers they want me to see. They don't want me seeing advertisers from NY or LA from distant ABC stations. Silly though.. I skip over all commercials with the Dishplayer and my TIVO anyway. Plus by not being able to receive any ABC station, no advertiser even has a chance to entice me to buy their product/service. Stupid huh?

Eddyhazkel ahh.. no daylight savings time for you? Why doesn't Indiana participate in it? My wife's side of the family missed our wedding last year because the hour difference threw them off. They did make the reception though.