Reload this Page >

Once and possibly Again

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once and possibly Again

Old 04-21-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once and possibly Again

I read this tidbit late Sunday and thought it was worthy of a thread. I know it's been rumored but here's the deal....

ONCE... AGAIN?: Once and Again actor Billy Campbell is confirming rumors that his acclaimed ABC series may return in the fall for a fourth season despite the fact that last Monday's episode was billed by the network as the show's series finale.

Campbell's leading lady, Sela Ward, broke the news to him last week. "She called and said, 'Have you heard? It's not definite that we're canceled,'" he tells TV Guide Online. "Apparently, on the same day that they cancel us, [ABC] called the studio and said, 'Don't knock down the sets, don't release the actors, and why don't you work us up a tentative budget for a Year Four.' I don't know what to think.... They can't even kill us with dignity."
Old 04-21-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that would go along with drudge's report last week that said much the same.
Old 04-21-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I definitely feel this show deserves to end with dignity, I would be thrilled beyond belief if it is renewed for a fourth season. I have every confidence in the writers and cast to come up with more wonderful stories to tell. And I'll be there watching every single episode.
Old 04-21-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another season of O&A.
Old 04-22-02, 09:55 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully good news. I kind of liked the ending, but it's another Jack & Jill ending(hey, I'm pregnant... show over).
Old 04-22-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Great news.

But I kind of felt that the finale was great and truly did end the show.

My fear is that a possible season four would resemble season two with its all too out there problems. (seeing as how they might be moving and another kid, and lesbian kids and pothead kids)

Yeah, but I'd still watch!

Hey, was there a "Save Once and Again" on-line petition? lol
Old 04-22-02, 01:41 PM

"Save Once and Again" on-line petition

You bet....

There are 2 fan websites that have been taking out trade
ads in magazines like Variety. Trying to encourage ABC
suits to bring the show back.

One site has email, snail mail & telephone numbers to call
and actually voice ones opinion to ABC.

I was reading where one was asking fans to send
baby wipes or something like that to ABC for
the new baby???

I am not sure if it will do any good in the end.
But if it makes one feel like they are doing something,
then more power to them.

If ABC does bring it back. Will be one of the better
decisions that anyone over there has made in a while.
Old 04-22-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, I was hoping Once and Again fans were above that.
I dunno, I'm not really a fan of on-line petitions and the such. Not that its entirely useless, they've worked a few times, but I dunno, they reek of extreme geekiness. (No offense to anyone out there as I know some of you here have gone along with some)

Even if it was for my all time favorite show, I still wouldn't do it.
I'm not an entirely unmotivated human, but its just TV, no matter how good it is.

I've had a few of my faves cancelled after less than 10 eps...at least Once and Again got three full (almost) seasons.
Old 04-22-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd love to have another season of this, but I can't say I'd relish the primary focus being on Lily's pregnancy for the whole season...

If they did come back for another year, I wonder if they'd return to the "Eli & Grace" romantic subplot they built slowly for the first two years--but then abandoned this year in favor of giving them their own problems... I always wanted to see how the rest of the family would freak out if they got together...

I trust the writers enough to know it'd probably be good no matter where they took it, but I do think the finale (especially the first-person closing segment) was a fitting sendoff.
Old 04-22-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by adamblast
I'd love to have another season of this, but I can't say I'd relish the primary focus being on Lily's pregnancy for the whole season...

I agree.
I wouldn't want to see OAA "jump the shark" (as much as I dis-like this phrase) with a big focus on a pregnancy and baby, the way Mad About You was ruined by Jamie's pregnancy, then endless bad story lines regarding the new baby.
Old 04-22-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast

If they did come back for another year, I wonder if they'd return to the "Eli & Grace" romantic subplot they built slowly for the first two years--but then abandoned this year in favor of giving them their own problems... I always wanted to see how the rest of the family would freak out if they got together...

I trust the writers enough to know it'd probably be good no matter where they took it, but I do think the finale (especially the first-person closing segment) was a fitting sendoff.
You managed everything I was trying to say in my post....only a whole lot better.