Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Watching The PBS Series "Commanding Heights" About Globalization?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-02, 09:56 AM
Suspended pending providing a good e-mail address to [email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually like PBS shows of this nature (like Frontline, etc.) but I thought that this last episode on globalization was a bit biased. They tried to show both sides, but it seems like they left alot out.

Especially when it ended on a positive note talking about how after Brazil they had pretty much stopped the bleeding. What, no talk of Argentina or the streets of Barcelona? Sure some people have made out pretty good, but for every success, there are thousands, perhaps millions who don't really get anywhere.

I don't think globalization is working. It seems like the only thing it is accomplishing is bringing about deflation in prices which doesn't really help those in the 3rd world. It seems like the world has become much more unstable since it's inception. Every other day there is talk of riots, revolts, instability. Even September 11 could be blamed on it to some degree. I fear what may be down the road if the world continues on this chaotic path.
Old 04-18-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think globalization is going to happen no matter what, but there will be lines drawn across different peoples. Westreners will be one group. The rest of the poor 3rd world nations will be the other. Kinda like the lines between Muslims and "everyone else" that are being drawn now. I'm sorry but people in Africa, central Asia and other poor places aren't going to be "surfin the net" and buying stuff that Americans and Europeans do anytime soon like every huge corporation thinks.
Old 04-18-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Argh! I saw parts of the first one, parts of the second one, and missed the third.

Hopefully they'll replay it soon.
Old 04-18-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
I think globalization is going to happen no matter what, but there will be lines drawn across different peoples. Westreners will be one group. The rest of the poor 3rd world nations will be the other. Kinda like the lines between Muslims and "everyone else" that are being drawn now. I'm sorry but people in Africa, central Asia and other poor places aren't going to be "surfin the net" and buying stuff that Americans and Europeans do anytime soon like every huge corporation thinks.
It's interesting. I have a bunch of comments copied from some other forums onto my computer at home, but I haven't had the chance to check the sources -- apparently 90%+ of all foreign investment from developed countries is directed at other developed countries, and the much vaunted/feared globalization is very limited outside the developed world. I need to look up the articles/statistics, and maybe I can start another thread in the Other forum.

Tuan Jim