Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Oprah - "The Child called It"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-02, 07:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Oprah - "The Child called It"

Caught this episode last night half way through and just had a question to any who might have seen it. Since I did miss the beginning, was their an explanation as to why none of the other four brothers were not on the show, were any of them sympathic or came to his aid since his mother was ritualistically abusing him (it didnt appear so)? Not that I am doubting his story or anything, and I would be curious to see his books about his childhood abuse, but the whole thing bothered me in that while his story was tragic, their seemed to be many holes and questions/concerns unanswered.
Old 04-18-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I was forced to watch the entire hour of that show while waiting in the doctor's office last Wednesday. They never mentioned why his brothers weren't on the show. The first half that you missed just went into describing what he went through as a kid.

He was only abused while he was in the house alone with his mom. They did explain saying the father never did anything because in his house it was the 50's way where the dad brings home the bacon, and has nothing to do with domestic issues. He just turned his back and pretended it never happened. IIRC 3 of the brothers were younger than him so they couldn't do much to help.
Old 04-18-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm out $100. Thought for sure no one would reply in this thread.

das
Old 04-18-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was this show about?
Old 04-18-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
What was this show about?
David Pelzer, author of the books, A Child Called It, The Lost Boy and A Man Named Dave. Claims he was abused horribly as a kid. I didn't see the show (as if I'd ever watch Oprah), haven't read any of the books. But I sell books and these are always solid sellers so I know about them.
Old 04-18-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read all three books and they are very good. Some of the best books on the subject that I have ever read for that matter. If you get the time you should read them as it will fill any hole, and answer any question that you might have.

The things that David has done on the subject of child abuse are great. I do not doubt anything that he has wrote or said.
Old 04-18-02, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy is a jerk & an A-HOLE supreme ! He came into the bookstore that I work @ a few years back & VERBALY ABUSED one of my booksellers for not knowing where his book was (along w/how many copies). When I intervened he backed off like a pussie.
I have met a few people in the trade that tell me that this not an uncommon situation & he ONLY does this to women.
This guy is also does the school circuit & realy pours it on for the kids- a HS friend of mine had to suffer through his "talk" & said that
he seemed to like the girls who cried.
At least when I was in HS we had the guy who told us the dangers of heavy metal !