Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you remember Spiderman on The Electric Company?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-17-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone remember the lyrics to the theme song?

It's not "Spiderman, Spiderman. Does whatever a spider can...." That's the lyrics to the cartoon.
Old 04-17-02, 03:55 PM
fab

Spider-Man.
Where are you coming from Spider-Man?
Nobody knows who you are.
Old 04-17-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't download it, but if you go here there is a downloadable .wav file.

*Well, I just downloaded and listened to it and fab is correct.

-Steve
Old 04-17-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Danny Seagren = Spidey from "The Electric Company"

Nicholas Hammond = Spiderman from the '70's movies

Tobey Maguire = Spiderman now
Old 04-17-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That was one of my favorite segments from that show, next to "The Adventures of Letterman." His main nemsis was the Spell Binder, with that nasty magic wand of his.

Faster than a rolling O!
More powerful than silent E!
Able to leap capital T in a single bound!
It's a word!
It's a plan!
It's Letterman!

Ah, the '70s.
Old 04-17-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts
I can make Spidey's talking bubble sound...I just can't spell it!
Old 04-17-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
dont forget Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader!
Old 04-17-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys are the best! I've been trying to remember that for years!!!!

I wonder why he was the "amazing Spidey" and not Spider-Man.
Old 04-18-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of his foes were
The Wall - Just a guy who looked like a wall and enjoyed knocking people over.

The Birthday Bandit - He never had a birthday party when he was a kid, so he went around stealing all birthday stuff.

The Can Crusher - On a visit to a soup factory as a child, he lost his frog in the canning machine, so he was determined to crush every can he could until he found it.

Dr. Measles - He carried around a bag of measles and infected whomever he could.

There were others, can anyone remember more?

Honk!
Old 04-18-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember one called The Spoiler, a guy that left behing stuff that resembled food but was really junk or garbage.

There was the girl who lost her Easter eggs when someone sat on her basket. She then dressed around as the Easter Bunny stealing other people's Easter stuff.

There was one called Mr. Freeze (I think). He wore a very long top hat (a la Lincoln) that completely covered his head, which hid his hideous face. The point was, he was so ugly, whenever people saw him, they would literally freeze in their tracks, making them easy crime victims. Spidey alluded him with a mirror.

The Sandman, who threw his magic sand and robbed his snoozing victims. Spidey became a victim after after webbing the guy as the police took the crook away.
Old 04-19-02, 12:09 PM
Banned

I thought Morgan Freeman was the guy in the Spiderman suit. They had the same build back then.
Old 04-19-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"HEEEEY YOUUU GUUUYYSS!!!"
Old 04-19-02, 05:26 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by wm lopez
I thought Morgan Freeman was the guy in the Spiderman suit. They had the same build back then.
He played a lot of characters (Easy Reader, a DJ, a vampire) on that show but AFAIK Spidey was never one of them.
Old 04-20-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Non-Comic : The Electric Company : Villains
Here's a summary of the villains who appeared in the Electric Co. Spider-Man shorts. Information provided by Brian Rathjen, The Masked Mutant, and other fans! Villains appear in alphabetical order.

The Blowhard (played by Luis Avalos)
Once just an ordinary little kid until he read the story of the 3 Little Pigs, The Blowhard thus dedicated his life to blowing things down in the name of The Big Bad Wolf. Dressed in black cloak & top hat, The Blowhard intended to blow down Fargo North, Decoder at his birthday party (invitees included Easy Reader, Jennifer Of The Jungle & J.Arthur Crank - uh, as for his age, you might wanna ask Carla Wheeler) as his ultimate accomplishment, but Spiderman, who was another invitee, caught him in his web.
So what had Fargo done to merit such an attack? Fargo had caused the Blowhard to be incarcerated, when he decoded a note that said that the Blowhard blew down the city of Trenton, New Jersey. Personally, I thought he might have gotten a medal for that!

The Birthday Bandit (played by Jim Boyd)
A man dressed in a party costume, who ruins birthday parties by stealing the cake, ice cream, balloons, decorations, etc. All the while, telling what he is doing in Dr. Seuss-style rhyme.

Conk and Bonk (played by Jim Boyd and Luis Avalos respectively)
A two-headed person, one who punches his victims, and the other who takes purses, wallets, etc.

Hum Dinger (played by Luis Avalos)
Once an aspiring rockstar from the 1950's who couldn't remember the words to his songs, so he simply hummed them. Popular all through the 50's, by 1960 he was all washed up, so since that time he found work as a phony repairman, scamming people by revealing "hums" in their TVs or radios. Spiderman foiled him by simply leaving a radio turned on until Hum Dinger could no longer maintain his hum, and was thus exposed.

The Mouse (played by Skip Hinnant)
A happy-go-lucky man until an errant associate at McDonald's forgets to put cheese on a specially-ordered Big Mac. He dons a mouse costume and becomes a glutton for cheese.

Principal Prescott (played by Jim Boyd)
The beleagured high school principal who is the butt of practical jokes played by The Electric Company's Short Circus. He decides to get even with them by playing some jokes of his own on the mischieveous teen-agers.

The Sack (played by Jim Boyd)
Nobody knew who he really was or how he got that way but he threw fruit and vegetables at people.

The Sandman (played by Luis Avalos)
The Sandman: Dressed as Wee Willy Winky, The Sandman put people to sleep with his special sand, then rob them.

The Sitter (played by Luis Avalos)
The Sitter: Dressed as a kindly old lady, the Sitter would take babysitting jobs then promptly rob his clients blind. Spiderman caught the sitter by disguising as a baby to be sat, and caught him in his web.

The Tickler (played by Luis Avalos)
The Tickler was a failed comedian who could never get people to laugh at his jokes, so he ventured forth dressed as William Tell, for some reason, with feathers attached to his fingers (a la Freddy Krueger), telling his jokes, tickling and robbing all who didn't laugh. Spiderman, who was out of web, kept the Tickler occupied by laughing at his jokes until the police carried him away.

The Uninvited (played by Luis Avalos)
Once an ordinary boy until he didn't get invited to someone's birthday party, the Uninvited, dressed entirely in black, would invite himself to events such as other parties and J. Arthur Crank's bath night, stealing whatever was available. Just as he was about to steal a construction worker's salary (which he wasn't invited to do), Spiderman caught up with him and caught him in his web.

The Yeti (played by Jim Boyd)
An abominable snowman-type creature who wanders from his home in the Frozen North. Lost, he decides to sit on cold things (e.g., double-scoop fudge ripple ice cream cones, grape sodas with extra ice, flavored ices, etc.) because it reminds him of his home.
Source
Old 04-20-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's odd that you guys remember this stuff.
Old 04-21-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Alien Redrum

Conk and Bonk (played by Jim Boyd and Luis Avalos respectively)
A two-headed person, one who punches his victims, and the other who takes purses, wallets, etc.
The villains were based on those old Alka Seltzer commercials of the time. They wore huge boxing gloves. One gave a blow to the stomach and the other to the head (thus leaving the victims too much out of it to defend themselves).
Old 04-21-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by big whoppa
It's odd that you guys remember this stuff.

I remember the show and all but I would have to agree....how the heck can you remember the episodes?
Old 04-21-02, 06:23 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by djones6746

I remember the show and all but I would have to agree....how the heck can you remember the episodes?
Pretty easy for me-I only had 4 channels until I was about 10, and it was one of the few kid's shows I watched during that time.

Oh yeah, it helps that they're currently on NOGGIN.
Old 04-21-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, these were great episodes. I also believe Morgan Freeman was on Electric Co. as well.

If we could only see into the future and know that we'd love movies.

I may have to check Noggin's schedule as I get that station via satellite.
Old 04-21-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched a lot of PBS in my youth, and many of the episodes of key shows (including Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, Sesame Street, the original Zoom, Village Allegre, etc.) were in the original run. So it really is not that hard for me to remember all this stuff. I'm old enough to remember the original Gordon on Sesame Street, as I began watching the show around 1970, not long after its debut.

Does anyone remember that one "crossover" episode where some of the characters from The Electric Company visited Sesame Street? I only remember that Easy Reader had stopped by Mr. Hooper's store and was warmly greeted by Bob. I thought that was one of the coolest episodes they ever did.
Old 04-21-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Heyyyy you guyyyssss!" is familiar. Where does that come from?

Why is he called Spidey and not Spiderman?
Old 04-22-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Heyyyy you guyyyssss!" is Rita Moreno's famous bellow whenever she wanted people's attention. She usually used that line when she played that feisty director. In later seasons of "The Electric Company," the line was also heard prior to opening credits.
Old 04-22-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
"Heyyyy you guyyyssss!" is Rita Moreno's famous bellow whenever she wanted people's attention.
She sounded a lot like "Hey You Gaaaays!" My mom corrected me on this when she heard me repeating it.
Old 11-16-02, 09:47 AM

Couldn't sleep after watching the LOTR extras (too pumped) last night. Twas about 2:10, I flipped channels and then flipped out when I saw the Electric Company!!!!!!!
I had to wake my wife up....
Morgan Freeman, Rita Moreno, Yeah!!! But I also recognized a few voices too....Mel Brooks was heard a couple of times. I remember Joan Rivers in the opening of Letterman, but I never knew Gene Wilder was LETTERMAN!!!

Ah....fighting back the tears of joy.
Old 11-17-02, 03:58 PM

Great show! Why isn't it on DVD?

Weren't there also some cool cartoons featuring letters a la Schoolhouse Rock or am I merging different memories of my youth?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.