TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 4/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 10:42 PM
Zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville 4/16

Smallville- 4/16 "Stray"

An episode with no connection to kryptonite. I think we may have a major breakthrough here.
Old 04-16-02, 11:37 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Re: Smallville 4/16

Originally posted by Zee
Smallville- 4/16 "Stray"

An episode with no connection to kryptonite. I think we may have a major breakthrough here.
Don't worry.

Next week, your favorite kryptonite usage returns in the form of a kryptonite-infected man.

This week's episode was lame in my opinon. Very Hokey. The only cool part was the bowling ball toss.
Old 04-17-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,144 Posts
I liked it.

The bowling ball especially. Though they didn't address it, I assume that guy is dead. Probably not, because that would have been a big big thing to deal with right now in the show. But who can take a bowling ball, thrown through a wall, in the gut and live?

Anyway, I liked it. And I know Clark is a goody-goody, but damn, I would have asked what Lana thought about me. Too good of an opportunity to pass up.

But he SO has to ask Chloe to prom now. And I thought she looked a lot more attractive in this episode than I've ever thought before. It's a sure thing Clark, just friggin TAKE IT!

I like how they are slowly incorporating the "mythology" into the show. Lex's "Every hero needs a foil" was major foreshadowing, and all the comic book references, with a red and blue superhero. Some nice touches.
Old 04-17-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
I liked it.
So did I, very much. I thought it was one of the best episodes so far.
Old 04-17-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a good episode, particularly how both Clark and the young boy were able to empathize with each other concerning their special abilities and having to hide it just so they could feel like they're not some sort of freak. And I liked how the show continues to pay homage to the film/TV series/comic book, like when Luthor uses the line: "...strange visitor from another planet" to Clark.
Old 04-17-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question. Since Lex Luthor is a LL name, does that make him one of Clarks 'bitches'? Just kidding.

I like it whenever Lex and Clark have a conversation. We finally got to hear FIVE FOR FIGHTING's Superman song. I knew it was going to show up one of these days.

I don't know what I'm going to do when they air the last 3 or 4 eps of ROSWELL at the same time. I love both shows.
Old 04-17-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I really liked the ep, too... It made me laugh that they finally got around to using Five for Fighting's "Superman (It's Not Easy)"... I thought it was going to be the theme song of the upcoming series, back when I first heard it nearly a year ago...
Old 04-19-02, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally got caught up to watch this episode.

Telepathy is a dual-edged sword. Babylon 5 did a nice take on this power in its early days. Ryan might go looney if he can't keep other people's thoughts out of his head. He will need training to shield other people's thoughts. Where's Charles Xavier when you need him? Ryan was a good kid trying to run away from a bad situation. I can see why Clark and his family would take to him so quickly. How do these humans survive getting hit by cars travelling a good clip? Ryan should have really been hurt by being smacked by Martha's car. What's with Clark's parents and running into people with their vehicles? Didn't Jonathan run into someone with his truck previously as well?

Clark needs better dialog. Couldn't believe he used "You're safe now" twice in the show (once was enough to draw the parallel between him and the comic book character). I was hoping Ed (Stuckeybowl) would show up when they were at the bowling alley. And how did the homicidal stepfather survive getting bonked in the chest by a bowling ball? FYI - The girlfriend (Brandy Ledford) was a former Penthouse pet of the year (Jisel), who was last seen in Baywatch Hawaii and The Invisible Man.

The violence of the stepfather was a bit jarring, but bad people do bad things, and if you don't show that aspect, the contrast of heroism doesn't quite shine as brightly. So I'm glad the writers don't back off from such displays of violence on the show.

Chloe, to me, just gets better and better. I think she's hitting a growth spurt as she goes through her teen years. Using Ryan to fully expose Chloe's major crush on Clark is intentional on the writer's part to set up some romantic conflict for Clark. I will bet that Clark will be crushed when Whitney somehow weasels his way back into Lana's heart for the prom, and Clark might be the odd man out if Pete (Ross) snaps up Chloe (tired of waiting for Clark to get off the Lana-train) for the prom, which leaves Clark yet again alone.

Clark's is so ga-ga over Lana (The comment from both Ryan and Clark - something like "I think I'm in love." "So am I." at the Talon after Lana gives Ryan a kiss on the cheek was a humorous touch).

Why Lex was not killed by the stepfather is a good question. It's basically inconsistent writing, or perhaps the stepfather only kills when he needs to kill, and Lex simply didn't put up a fight, so he was just kicked to the curb. Of course, Lex has to wonder how Clark shows up miles from his farm just after he's tossed out of the limo. Lex's too smart not to guess the truth about Clark. I didn't think Lex was going to Metropolis, but that's because the actor (Micheal Rosenbaum) has a contract to be around as long as "Smallville" is being produced. Ryan does plant the seeds of mistrust within Clark about Lex with his parting shot, but it also shows Clark's "the glass is half full" philosophy and outlook on life.

All in the all, Clark's relating to Ryan was probably the high point of the show. Clark's parents always acquit themselves quite well, setting a consistently good example for Clark, well, except for their driving prowess...
Old 04-19-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
not to belittle any murders, but killing Lex would bring more police investigation than killing someone else simply due to the Luthor family wealth and influence on the police
Old 04-19-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a Superman fan, but have missed out on most of this series (saw first couple of episodes)

any way to get caught up, or do I just have to plunge in... (Tuesday nights, right?)
Old 04-19-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You might try downloading episodes off Grokster/Kazaa (search for "smallville" in the video category).
Old 04-19-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
You might try downloading episodes off Grokster/Kazaa (search for "smallville" in the video category).
i guess that would work --- hadnt even thought of that...