Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 - 4/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
If anyone knows when FOX is rebroadcasting 24 in the DFW area, please post here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=200639

Thank you!!
Old 04-17-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was actually a really good episode with obvious inconsistencies in it. The 20-30 minute trip thing was pretty funny. The only plausible reason Tony would say 20-30 minutes to get to CTU from the house is because it is in the 7pm hour and there are probably a lot of cars on the road going into LA. However that does not excuse the fact it took him little time to get to the house from CTU the episode before. Then again I don't suspect Fox thinks everyone is thinking about the implausability of many things. Going back on topic, it took Jack 5 minutes to get to CTU from home in the midnight hour when there is probably little to no traffic. This is a poor plausible reason, but that is probably how they would back it up.

Anyone know Kim's age? Is she under 18? If so, she shouldn't be in the prison and should be sent to a Juvenile jail. That is unless California's laws are different...but I doubt that given that California is one of the most hands-on states in regards to laws and usually sets precendence on things.

The quick change to night was not very good either, but then again it is not surprising that it happened. We knew 2 sections of 24 could be debated in relation to light/dark: early in the morning and when night comes. I can overlook it by just thinking of all they had to do to actually get these scenes done in an acceptable amount of days.

The first thing I said when Jack told Lou Diamond Phillips to call for backup was, "Why the hell don't you call CTU, National Guard or any other military presence Jack? They'll get there faster than whoever he's calling." That was a hard thing to swallow.

As for Hopper, I knew he was coming on a long time ago when I read it in Entertainment Weekly. They said he was going to be on for 8 episodes and I was eagerly awaiting his entrance after Gaines' group failed...but then the new assassin turned out to be someone else.

As soon as I saw him I knew what role he was playing...
Old 04-17-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

jack can't necessarily call CTU since thats a classified prison. he definitly cant call LAPD.

is next week's episode new? i dont want any spoilers just if its new or not.

a couple months back they said 12 new episdoes in a row indicating we'll get a couple of reruns soon.
Old 04-17-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian
jack can't necessarily call CTU since thats a classified prison. he definitly cant call LAPD.

a couple months back they said 12 new episdoes in a row indicating we'll get a couple of reruns soon.
Yes, next week's episode is new.
Old 04-17-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, but he could have called and said that Drazen's men had him trapped in the area...no reason to talk about the prison. He also could have told Palmer to call the Army or someone to bring backup immediately.

Yes, next week's episode is new. As far as I know, there will be no reruns unless they are going to push the season ender back a week.
Old 04-17-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the episode after next week's new episode will not be new (or could be pre-empted by something else in that time slot).
Old 04-17-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 24 - 4/16

Originally posted by Static Cling
Before we get into the show... I've been spoiler-free for the past few episodes, and loving it. Tonight, I've got Fox News playing in the background while I'm surfing the 'Net... not Fox, not FX, but FOX NEWS... and a commercial for '24' comes on that basically would've completely spoiled me if I had been paying attention. I managed to avert my eyes for most of the commercial... but DANGIT. What do I have to do to avoid spoilers for this frickin' show?! I hate you, Fox commercial people.

*sigh*

Anyways. 24. Tonight. Rock on. Post your thoughts here!
what happened in the first 10-12 minutes? The DFW affliate picked up right when Palmer was hugging his daughter and began talking with his wife after his news conference. Was there any Tony/Nina stuff at the beginnig that I missed?
Old 04-17-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: 24 - 4/16

Originally posted by djbrown
what happened in the first 10-12 minutes? The DFW affliate picked up right when Palmer was hugging his daughter and began talking with his wife after his news conference. Was there any Tony/Nina stuff at the beginnig that I missed?
Nothing much really. Tony gets Terri (who is FREAKING OUT) to help him get the shot doctor (Phil) into his SUV and tells her to calm down because Kim is fine since Kim had called CTU trying to find out if Terri was okay only a short time before. They get Phil in the back, Terri gets in the back too and they start off. Tony calls Nina directly at CTU to say he found/rescued Terri just in time, to send a team to the Bauer house in case there are other baddies there, they were heading to the "clinic" to get "Friend Phil" some medical attention (after he checks with Terri to see if she really knows Phil to be a friend or foe) and then Tony and Terri were headed to CTU in 20-30 minutes. That is almost all you see of Tony or Terri in the episode.
Old 04-17-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan

You'll have to... as her speech to him fairly correctly states, she will be there when he takes oath of office in January. This IS only the primary
Here's what I don't understand - how much could Palmer's big press conference revelation about his son hurt him in the primary - it happened after 6:00pm PST - how late are the polls open, especially on the East Coast (I believe the TV running in the background last night specifically mentioned Palmer doing well in New York)?

Just nitpicking/wondering......

Daryl
Old 04-17-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Daryl
Here's what I don't understand - how much could Palmer's big press conference revelation about his son hurt him in the primary - it happened after 6:00pm PST - how late are the polls open, especially on the East Coast (I believe the TV running in the background last night specifically mentioned Palmer doing well in New York)?
I made that observation as well, but forgot to include it in my post. To my best recollection most states end primaries and general election at 8pm in each state. New York I believe may hold out until 9pm ET, but don't quote me on that. There are other states that have different rules as well. Of course, 9pm ET would be 6pm PT...heh.

Funny thing is most people will have already voted by the time Palmer made his speech and most states polls would already be closed. The only damage that would result from this would be in the actual general election and not in the primary, other than California, which the TV was talking about. Also primaries are done in different states on different dates...not sure if CA's primary is the same day as NY's or not.

I wonder if the creators and Fox ever thought this series would be deconstructed as much as it is. The suspension of disbelief is really getting out there though. Then again, only a small percentage of people in the US would probably know how a primary works and when it is closed and all that...so they would let such things just pass over their head.
Old 04-17-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox

Anyone know Kim's age? Is she under 18? If so, she shouldn't be in the prison and should be sent to a Juvenile jail. That is unless California's laws are different...but I doubt that given that California is one of the most hands-on states in regards to laws and usually sets precendence on things.

Cant speak for California, but in Florida I was held in the normal type jail deal when I was 17 for something MUCH less than a huge drug deal .
Old 04-17-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made that observation as well, but forgot to include it in my post. To my best recollection most states end primaries and general election at 8pm in each state. New York I believe may hold out until 9pm ET, but don't quote me on that. There are other states that have different rules as well. Of course, 9pm ET would be 6pm PT...heh.

Funny thing is most people will have already voted by the time Palmer made his speech and most states polls would already be closed. The only damage that would result from this would be in the actual general election and not in the primary, other than California, which the TV was talking about. Also primaries are done in different states on different dates...not sure if CA's primary is the same day as NY's or not.
I considered this, too and this is what I came up with - and it IS a stretch. What we saw last night were "opinion polls" on how this press conference affected people's opinions on Palmer in general. Even if the polls had already mostly closed on the east coast, just because you WIN the primary does not mean that the party has to ultimately SELECT you as their candidate selection for the presidential election does it?

I think they were saying that even if the polls were closed with Palmer as the clear winner, a MASSIVE OUTCRY from the general popular saying "BOO! DOWN WITH PALMER" after the press conference could have lost him the nomination of the Democratic party. Since this didn't happen, it means he is still the strongest person for the nomination.

Like I said - this is a stretch and could have been made more clear in the episode if this is what the writers were getting at, but HEY, we have bought into more ridiculous inconsistencies than this already haven't we?
Old 04-17-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With Dennis Hopper, most people knew he would be there, it could get more viewers. In the 6:00-7:00 pm episode, you can kind of see the sun starting to set.
Old 04-17-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,117 Posts
About the polls being affected.

Just from what I know from covering all the of election stuff as a news photographer, a lot of people don't vote until they get off of work, so a revelation at 6 oclock COULD have some effect on the outcome of the primary.
Old 04-17-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And why is the show so arrogant to believe that just because Palmer wins the primary, he's going to win the presidency. I know it's a TV show and all, but still.....
Old 04-17-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
And why is the show so arrogant to believe that just because Palmer wins the primary, he's going to win the presidency. I know it's a TV show and all, but still.....
Maybe the Republican candidate is a doofus?
Old 04-17-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe the Republican candidate is a doofus?
Which also promises nothing in the ultimate outcome of the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION either!
Old 04-17-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the news person said, our "quick poll" indicating it was an opinion poll of the country, not the results of hte primary.

california's primary is on super tuesday, right?
Old 04-17-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the news person said, our "quick poll" indicating it was an opinion poll of the country, not the results of hte primary.

california's primary is on super tuesday, right?
In 2000 it was on "Super Tuesday" which was March 7.
Old 04-18-02, 08:20 AM

I'm two days late and a dollar short, but one last thought-- isn't there one obvious reason we should think that Sherry Palmer will be killed?
Spoiler:
She's listed as a 'guest star' in the opening credits. Then again, so is Tony, and he has almost as much screen time as Sherry.

More Mason!
Old 04-18-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I wanted to know is: when Kim was arrested, wouldn't there be an APB out on her since she was missing?

Or did CTU keep herdisappreance confidential. I would have thought the first thing they would have done is alert the authorities so that police & hospitals can be on the lookout for either Kim or Teri.
Old 04-18-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jadzia
What I wanted to know is: when Kim was arrested, wouldn't there be an APB out on her since she was missing?

Or did CTU keep herdisappreance confidential. I would have thought the first thing they would have done is alert the authorities so that police & hospitals can be on the lookout for either Kim or Teri.
yeah, they said they were checking local hospitals so you would think they would put one out
Old 04-18-02, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AJW
Great episode.

As far as the 20-30 minutes comment, I believe Tony was referring to how far away he was from CTU and not the clinic.

Tony told Nina that Teri's Friend Phil had been hit but not too badly.

Nina then asked him "where are you now" and he replied "20 ah 30 minutes away".

Nina then instructed him to go to the clinic.

It is possible Tony meant how far away he was from getting Phil some medical attention but I doubt it.

So unless Tony used a helicopter to get to Jack's House in the previous episode, I believe we have a major time/distance inconsistency here. Jack's house is not 5 minutes away from CTU and Teri should have bit the big one
Maybe Tony was planning on "getting it on" with Terry. That would have probably taken 20 minutes, and would have solved the inconsistency.
Old 04-18-02, 02:47 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

i always enjoy reading the weekly 24 threads where people nitpick every single little, unimportant detail of the show. does it really matter to the story whether the sun set too fast or not?

people say the writers are stretching things too much... just most of the nitpicking i see in these threads.
Old 04-19-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by enthused
i always enjoy reading the weekly 24 threads where people nitpick every single little, unimportant detail of the show. does it really matter to the story whether the sun set too fast or not?

people say the writers are stretching things too much... just most of the nitpicking i see in these threads.
I think it's the sign of a great show that people are adamant enough to nitpick a lot over it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.