Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The "bad commercials" thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which commercial(s) most make you want to pull an Elvis?

Which TV commercial(s) most make you want to pull an Elvis? (shoot out the TV screen)

Right now for me it's tied with two music based one's.

The Mcdonald's commercial with that (Spice Girls??) song blaring, "Tell me what you want, what you really, really want"

Uhgg. Makes me sick.

The other is the Cadillac one with the Led Zepplin "Rock and Roll" song.
That screaming, wailing, Robert Plant voice makes me "really,really want" to throw the remote at the screen.
That song was barely tollerable when it was current, now, I just want it to go away.

What commercials set you folks off?
Old 04-08-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally any car commerical will set me off. They're all variations on the same driving scene.

But the one that really, truly irritates the crap out of me lately is the one where the European looking schoolboy whispers "zoom, zoom" - followed by some trashy world-beat style "zoom, zoom" song and a montage of a silver/grey (oh that's an original color for a car) vehicle driving over bridges. Blech. Blech. And double-blech.

Also - the bass notes at the opening of all those Sprint PCS commercials with the trench-coated bland Bill Pullman-looking guy helping people out with their cellular static problems?

That. Must. Go.
Old 04-08-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
The blockbuster ones with the gopher. I can't stand them.

I could do without the Jason Alexander KFC ones. Man, has his career jumped the shark or what.
Old 04-08-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by grunter
Generally any car commerical will set me off. They're all variations on the same driving scene.

But the one that really, truly irritates the crap out of me lately is the one where the European looking schoolboy whispers "zoom, zoom" - followed by some trashy world-beat style "zoom, zoom" song and a montage of a silver/grey (oh that's an original color for a car) vehicle driving over bridges. Blech. Blech. And double-blech.

Also - the bass notes at the opening of all those Sprint PCS commercials with the trench-coated bland Bill Pullman-looking guy helping people out with their cellular static problems?

That. Must. Go.

Good ones!
I haaaate that Zoom Zoom kid.

Sprint guy is soooo played too.
Old 04-08-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Jerry Seinfeld's standup can be amusing, Michael Richards was hilarious in UHF, and the chick (Elaine), was, umm, OK in Christmas Vacation. But Jason Alexander? Never funny, even in Duckman it was the supporting cast that made that show. And the KFC commercials are just the stupid icing on the retard cake. The jive talking Colonel cartoon was better than these.

As for car commercials, yes most of them are done by hallucinating chimps, but the zoom, zoom ones are actually tolerable. As are most VW commercials. One that really gets my goat is the couple talking in the cafe and the chick is saying she needs "new and different" or somesuch crap and he relents and gives her the key. Now, does it cut to her slinging mud and chasing wildlife in a big monster truck with four foot tires, roll bar and foglights? No, SHE'S DOING 45MPH DOWN THE HIGHWAY LIKE DRIVIN' MRS. FRIKKIN DAISY!!!. What the hell kind of new and exciting is that!! He should show her ugly ass the door!

Now, the one car commercial that I would qualify as a short film would be the one where the guy in the tux is driving real fast and cuts to images of people getting ready for a wedding and you think "uh oh, the groom's gonna be late, or is he?" but the guy in the car finally arrives, and she's marrying somebody else, and everybody has these WTF? looks on their faces and it fades to black. Whoever the hell directed that one needs to be in feature films, right now. I love that commercial and watch it every time I catch it on.

Interesting little observation though, of all those car commercials I described, I can't think of what brands they're for. Wonder what the ad execs think of that?
Old 04-09-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
... As are most VW commercials. One that really gets my goat is the couple talking in the cafe and the chick is saying she needs "new and different" or somesuch crap and he relents and gives her the key. Now, does it cut to her slinging mud and chasing wildlife in a big monster truck with four foot tires, roll bar and foglights? No, SHE'S DOING 45MPH DOWN THE HIGHWAY LIKE DRIVIN' MRS. FRIKKIN DAISY!!!. What the hell kind of new and exciting is that!! He should show her ugly ass the door!...
Isn't she the same girl who asked a friend to teach her how to "go down" on her boyfriend in MTVs Undressed? i can't help but wonder "maybe she wants to see the scenery this time around."

Another annoying car commerical is that Mitsubishi one, where they film a female passenger going through an epileptic seizure and put it to music....
Old 04-09-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RaMMaR

Another annoying car commerical is that Mitsubishi one, where they film a female passenger going through an epileptic seizure and put it to music....
Ahh!!!!
I was just talking about this one to my wife last night when it came on.
Isn't she supposed to be doing some sort of robot dance type movements?!? (Why in a car we don't know)

I said to my wife, if I was driving and someone in the seat next to me started doing that I would definetely yell at them to STOP DOING THAT!

Could anyone be more annoying?!?
Old 04-09-02, 01:23 PM

Can you hear me now? Good.

ARGH!
Old 04-09-02, 01:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Those commericials for Victoria's Secret get me "pulling the Elvis," so to speak.
Old 04-09-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
Those commericials for Victoria's Secret get me "pulling the Elvis," so to speak.

Old 04-09-02, 02:18 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Britney Spears' Pepsi commercials.
Old 04-09-02, 02:28 PM

Any commercial for AOL Internet service. Hearing those people brag about how AOL "helps protect my kids" and how "You can get 10,000,000,000,000 hours free for 45 days" makes me
Old 04-09-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can you hear me now? Good., any Mitsubishi ad, and any ad touting a movie as the #1 movie in America (even if it's a crappy movie that was only #1 because it was a slow week at the theaters followed by a 50% or more drop in box office the following week).
Old 04-09-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Don't know if they count as commericials but how the local affiliate teasers for their 11 pm local news. Those drive me nuts.
Old 04-09-02, 03:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Don't know if they count as commericials but how the local affiliate teasers for their 11 pm local news. Those drive me nuts.
"Hollywood Legend Dead! Find out who at 11pm!"

You tune it at 11pm, watch the whole broadcast, and in the last few seconds of the show they reveal that it was some guy who was a grip for Casablanca.
Old 04-09-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
There was an Arby's commercial with a jingle set to the tune of "Bonanza" that drove me up the wall. It's gone now, thankfully.

Britney Spears' pepsi commercials make me sick.

A total ripoff of that concept is the new Dr. Pepper commercials, with a Buddy Holly look-alike singing about being "original"

The people IM'ing each other while listening to the dopey motivational speaker is lame too.
Old 04-09-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jason

Britney Spears' pepsi commercials make me sick.

Strangely enough, I don't have a problem with them, especially when I hit the 'mute' button.
Old 04-09-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho

"Hollywood Legend Dead! Find out who at 11pm!"

You tune it at 11pm, watch the whole broadcast, and in the last few seconds of the show they reveal that it was some guy who was a grip for Casablanca.

What's even worse are the teasers like...

"Is there poison in your water?!? Find out at 11!"

"Could your mattress be killing you?!? More at 11!"

Cripes! I'm laying bed drinking water, tell me now for crissakes!!

And if you do tune in it's some lame O story that won't apply to you at all.
Old 04-09-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

new chicken whopper commercial annoys me to no end. i can just imagine the ad execs going over the commercial layout.

"What would be a great way to introduce this burger?"

"How about 100 dancing and clucking chickens? Everyone loves chickens. No, they're not annoying at all."

Old 04-09-02, 08:17 PM

I despise almost all comercials, I immediately change the channel or hit the mute button when they come on. If I was going to choose a couple that I hate the most it would be the Verizon comercials for local phone service where they have scenes of the super firendly and helpful sales operators answering and helping dumba$$ people want to know how Verizon can help them make their service cheaper...these may be local to MA but I HATE THEM!!!

The other would be the girl having a seizure in the front seat of the Mitsu car.
Old 04-09-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
The car commercial for the Chevy (?) Matrix where the bad guys are tying to chase the Matrix through the streets and they're talking to each other on cell phones, their conversation is something like:

[goofy british accent]"he's driving a silver-ishhh, ur, a blue-ishhh..."[/goofy british accent]

[another goofy brit accent]"a blue-ish what?"[/another goofy brit accent]

as the new Matrix flies by behind him.

And I can't tell for sure but it looks like he's driving it with a laptop computer
Old 04-10-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by homeslice

ARGH!
LOL! This is EXACTLY what I was gonna write. I actually threw my shoe at the TV last week when I saw it. It's not so much the commercial as the guy, who just seems so damn smug. I wanna reach into the TV and choke the snot outta the guy.
Old 04-10-02, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by Dubya
Can you hear me now? Good., any Mitsubishi ad,
ditto that. and those grand am commercials are just sad. i'm supposed to buy a grand am because a bunch of dorky morons are driving around doing things they've never done before. like going to "VEGAS!!!" gasp, what rebels!
Old 04-10-02, 08:22 AM

I despise almost all comercials, I immediately change the channel or hit the mute button when they come on
That's why I worship my TIVO. Buy a really cheap 15-hour model, buy a cheap 80 gig drive then hack it to use your new drive and viola, 100 hours worth of programming!

Start watching every show 20 minutes into it and you can skip every commercial (hit pause, go play with your dog, eat, browse web for 20 minutes).
Old 04-10-02, 07:56 PM

i'm not sure if carl's jr. is national or not, but their commercials really annoy me. the people sound like they're eating slop out of a pig trough.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.