Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Possible news regarding the future of '24'

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Possible news regarding the future of '24'

Ran across this today and thought some would enjoy it here...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...3/DD134945.DTL
Old 04-08-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They compared 24 to Hill Street Blues.

Anyway, just living in the 24 universe seems like a horrible idea to be. The setting really isn't that interesting to me outside of the "longest day of my life" aspect. And the writers really have destroyed most of the credibility they built in the early episodes.

Personally, I think the idea of telling another 24 hour story, completely independent of the current one, with the actors playing different characters is the best I've heard.

das
Old 04-08-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now, the tough part: If "24" comes back, it will almost certainly not be in the same format. The producers have already said they could think of no other ideas to believably sustain over a 24-hour period (although if their paychecks are at stake, they'll come up with something).
I don't think it would be that hard for the writers to come up with another "24 hour" storyline.

They should have it take place a year later, with Palmer as President. Bauer is now head of CTU and he uncovers a terrorist plot to attack some large American target. He has 24 hours to stop the bombing or whatever.

You wouldn't have to feature his family so much, but if they had to the plot could involve them. For instance, a cruise ship or plane is targeted and Kim is on her senior trip.

Or, hell, make all of LA a target so he's have to save his and everyone else's families.

Hey, if I can think of an idea of the top of my head, I'm sure the writer's could develop something.
Old 04-08-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jadzia
I don't think it would be that hard for the writers to come up with another "24 hour" storyline.

They should have it take place a year later, with Palmer as President. Bauer is now head of CTU and he uncovers a terrorist plot to attack some large American target. He has 24 hours to stop the bombing or whatever.

You wouldn't have to feature his family so much, but if they had to the plot could involve them. For instance, a cruise ship or plane is targeted and Kim is on her senior trip.

Or, hell, make all of LA a target so he's have to save his and everyone else's families.

Hey, if I can think of an idea of the top of my head, I'm sure the writer's could develop something.
Except replace Keifer with Jason Patric and recruit Willem Defoe as the bad guy? No offense, but I don't think I'd watch that show.

das
Old 04-08-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought that having a "catch up" show every four weeks would have helped keep people interested. Basically once a month, you would rehash what has happened. You didn't even have to run this on Tuesday. Lord knows that Fox has plenty of dead spots to fill. There are a few people I know who would miss an episode and then just give up on catching new ones, figuring they would be forever lost.

If FOX does stay with this premise, I hope they lose the family since they're being in trouble would just be silly.
Old 04-08-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In the article, it stated FOX is thinking about keeping the same actors, but changing the characters....

I don't logically understand how a show can establish characters with specific backgrounds for 24 episodes, and then possibly bring it back the next season with the same actors playing different characters under the same show. Has this ever been done before? It almost sounds like a play, or a improv class. Why do it? Why lead fans down the line if you change the characters?

So, technically, next season Kiefer Sutherland could be the bad guy, and the guy who plays Tony could be the hero? The woman who plays Nina could be called Sally, a woman who has three kids and in the middle of a divorce? I just don't see the point. I understand this show is doing poor in the ratings, but how is changing characters going to help? If anything, move the time slot. It's hard to get good ratings when you are competing against 'The Guardian' and 'NYPD Blue,' a show that has established credibility for ten years straight. Not to mention "24" competes with 'Smallville,' 'Scrubs' and 'Fraiser.'

But, of course, it's the characters that need to be altered.
Old 04-08-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I hope they let it die after this season. The first 13 or so episodes (whenever the cutoff was before Fox signed up for the remaning episodes) were great, but I've been let down by the episodes since. I'm hoping they can just finish off this season strong then leave us with a good feeling and not ruin it by making it something that its not. Jack and Tony are the only characters I would care about and have an interest in watching in the future but they couldn't carry the show for another full season.
Old 04-08-02, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see why they couldn't just have the next season be 24 hours to find a nuclear weapon before it's detonated in a major city. Or 24 hours with a hijacked plane. With enough setup, backstory and side story there would certainly be enough to fill 24 episodes.
Old 04-08-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by shrike
I don't see why they couldn't just have the next season be 24 hours to find a nuclear weapon before it's detonated in a major city. Or 24 hours with a hijacked plane. With enough setup, backstory and side story there would certainly be enough to fill 24 episodes.
Coming up with a main storyline isn't the problem. Coming up with subplots is. They're already struggling to find subplots. Amnesia? Stockholm Syndrome? Bleh.
Old 04-08-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may be in the minority here, but I got bored with this show around episode 6 or 7 and gave up completely somewhere around 10. The storyline just started to seem really dragged out to me... almost like the show was just "spinning its wheels" in order to fill up the required 24 hours.

Great idea, but the execution of it didn't really work for me.
Old 04-09-02, 03:54 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PacMan2006

I don't logically understand how a show can establish characters with specific backgrounds for 24 episodes, and then possibly bring it back the next season with the same actors playing different characters under the same show. Has this ever been done before? It almost sounds like a play, or a improv class. Why do it? Why lead fans down the line if you change the characters?

I hear this is done on Mexican Soaps all the time. Keeping the actors assures the viewers of the quality and changing the characters keeps the story fresh.
Old 04-09-02, 04:53 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

They'll have to have Kiefer Sutherland play another character in season two because Jack dies in the season one finale.

Just kidding.

Thanks for the link djbrown.
Old 04-09-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Saw this at Aint it cool had to post it.

My name is Jack Bauer and this is going to be an even longer day than the one before, which I thought was going to be the longest day of my life, but it turns out I was wrong...dead wrong.

Old 04-09-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BigDaddy
My name is Jack Bauer and this is going to be an even longer day than the one before, which I thought was going to be the longest day of my life, but it turns out I was wrong...dead wrong

das
Old 04-09-02, 01:12 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by das Monkey
Except replace Keifer with Jason Patric and recruit Willem Defoe as the bad guy? No offense, but I don't think I'd watch that show.
Oh! I would!
Old 04-09-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe they should just make each episode take place over 24 hrs. instead of the format they use now. That way we get 24 new stories instead of just 1.
Old 04-09-02, 01:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisHicks
Maybe they should just make each episode take place over 24 hrs. instead of the format they use now. That way we get 24 new stories instead of just 1.
This is one of the proposed suggestions. If they do that, what seperates it from other dramas?
Old 04-09-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
This is one of the proposed suggestions. If they do that, what seperates it from other dramas?
I'm sure the writers who came up with the amnesia angle could find a way ... like aliens could eat Kim, but see ... it won't be Kim ... it will be a clone.

das
Old 04-09-02, 01:32 PM

Nothing. But isn't this what they do when a show is totally different from anything else on tv? They just turn it into a clone of something else.
Old 04-09-02, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

I'm sure the writers who came up with the amnesia angle could find a way ... like aliens could eat Kim, but see ... it won't be Kim ... it will be a clone.

das
That would be a great idea. That way they could give David Duchuvny some work.:
Old 04-09-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
That would be a great idea. That way they could give David Duchuvny some work.:
Right, but it would actually be Nina ... using his body ... to kill ... THE PRESIDENT!

das
Old 04-09-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about this for an idea:

Create some sort of terrorist crisis for Jack to fight. But also introduce another character, perhaps a counterpart for Jack who works in Europe or something.

The show could still take place in real time, but while it's a certain time in California, you have this other person working in a completely different time zone. So instead of Jack running for 24 hours straight you could also spend time with the other main character working on the case in their time zone.

It would be more plausible and you wouldn't have to worry about developing a ton of sub-plots.
Old 04-09-02, 10:12 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

In the article, it stated FOX is thinking about keeping the same actors, but changing the characters....

Why do it?
It's probably the only way to keep the core premise of the show-the real time concept. IMO putting Jack Bauer immediately into another 24 hr scenario will be even more strained than the last few episodes and probably isn't viable. But I also think continuing the show while ditching the core concept would be weak-it becomes a more generic TV show like the Agency.

Why lead fans down the line if you change the characters?
Essentially, the show would be focused on its concept instead of continuing characters. It has been done successfully with even less character continuity-The Twilight Zone. I think it would be worth trying for 24 because IMO the real time crisis element is more indispensable to the show than the characters-they are primarily just there to serve the crisis/conspiracy plotline.

In the article, it stated FOX is thinking about keeping the same actors, but changing the characters....It almost sounds like a play, or a improv class.
You wouldn't need to bring back the same actors playing different parts, but I think that it would be fun. You could see the versatility of a good cast and play with the expectations fans would have from previous seasons.
Old 04-10-02, 10:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

More evidence of the dumbing-down of America:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...5&obj_id=33928
It looks like a Golden Globe or two and a raft of other awards, as well as rising ratings, has been enough to spur the powers that be at the Fox Network to bring back 24.

At least that’s the buzz from co-executive producer Joel Surnow, who concedes the show’s famous format (each episode of the season tells in real time the story of one hour in a single eventful day for lead hero Jack Bauer) won’t be coming back.

"We all love the format, but there are problems with it," Surnow said. "It asks a lot of the viewer. It asks them to tune in every week to follow a story. And that is not typically what research says are the viewing habits of the American public."
HOLY CRAP! "Asking a lot of the viewer?!" Heaven frickin' forbid! After all, that's not what made Mission: Impossible a huge success!
Old 04-10-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AJP

IMO putting Jack Bauer immediately into another 24 hr scenario will be even more strained than the last few episodes and probably isn't viable.
I still don't understand why a Season 2 show would have to take place "immediately" after this one.

Why not have the next season take place a year or two later?

I'm pretty sure Jack will come out a hero after all this, and Palmer might eventually become President.

You could have Jack & Palmer working on a big terrorist crisis together.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.