Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sopranos 4/7

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sopranos 4/7

Talk about "cringe TV". I remembered the scene where Ralphie beats Tracy, the 20 year old pregnant stripper, to death in the parking lot from last year.

But man, it still gives me the chills (if that's the right word)

Almost cover your eyes for this one.
Old 04-07-02, 09:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah, I saw this episode for the first time tonight...and wow!!! Definitely the most powerful violence scene in that show so far.
Old 04-07-02, 09:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
BTW, I just downloaded a song in this episode by The Kinks "Living on a Thin Line"...that's a great song.
Old 04-07-02, 10:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Is the one directed by Steve Buscemi coming up soon?
Old 04-07-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which one was it? Was it from season 3?
Old 04-07-02, 11:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
the one with Christopher and Paulie lost in the snow.
It's a ways away yet, Episode 37. I think 31 just aired.
Old 04-08-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Sopranos 4/7

Originally posted by Phil L.
Talk about "cringe TV". I remembered the scene where Ralphie beats Tracy, the 20 year old pregnant stripper, to death in the parking lot from last year.

But man, it still gives me the chills (if that's the right word)

Almost cover your eyes for this one.
Agreed. TV critics were quick to pickup on the new, evolving role of the female characters in this season of the show - and with largely violent consequences.

Up until this point, the women have played secondary roles in the stories (with the exception of maybe Carmella). Season three uses the departure of Livia Soprano to usher in a whole new setting for the women to florish. Carmella and Meadow will have significantly bigger roles as we see how Meadow is indeed her father's daughter - strong, independent, sometimes thick-headed and persevering as we'll see later in this season. Adrianna will take huge strides in defining herself as more than someone's hostess when she opens her own club. Melfi continues her own personal and professional conflicts as more situations result in her considering "crossing the line" with a patient. Janice - well, she's Janice. Rosalie Aprile will get more screen time and trauma/drama than ever thanks to Ralphy and Jackie Jr. Tracy (a new character) certainly puts herself into the limelight with her big mouth, and the men, each in their own way, look to keep her in her place. And while she doesn't have too many scenes herself, even Charmaine Bucco makes some bold moves as she finally decides to split with Artie.

With the focus pulling to the women, we are allowed to see that their lives are no less complicated nor contain less potential for violence than the men's. In fact when you consider what little happens with the men (most of them are dying of cancer more than anything else!), it is quite a radical difference - the Russians' assault on Janice, the rape of Melfi and the beating and eventual murder of Tracy. Most people agree that this is the most visually disturbing season of the show to date.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-08-02 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-08-02, 08:29 PM

I remember reading, shortly after this ep first aired that a colloquialism had been borne from this episode.

To Disrespect The Bing.

"He's disrespected the Bing..."

would be said of someone who acted inappropriately at a specific place.

Interesting to see how powerful this epsiode is.