Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 - 4/2

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
I got a kick out of the world's most un-professional CTU sniper. That guy was a riot! After he gets fired, he has a real career as a comedy club heckler.
It would have been funnier if it wasn't so unbelievable. Is it possible that somebody that unprofessional wouldn't have been vetted out? BTW, how many moms would kill themselves over having to take care of 4 kids while her husband is in prison? Hard to believe.

AJW is damn right about not caring what happens to characters. In fact, I'm now rooting for characters to die (Keith, Kim, Teri), and I don't care at all about the present villains. Gaines and York were a much better crew. Dan's brother, though, has potential. What a weasel. Mason is great as well, though he's not a true 'villain' (at least not yet).

Some things of interest:
1) Why the extra half-second reaction shots of Nina? They seem designed to build suspicion.
2) Interesting parallels between Palmer's wife and Bauer-- both say they'll do anything and everything to protect their families.
3) Who are these 'powerful men' behind Palmer? I have a feeling they will never be revealed.
Old 04-03-02, 11:39 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Re: Re: 24 - 4/2

Originally posted by madcougar
The entire Teri-amnesia thing is just dumb
And the pregnancy isn't? Embrace the cheese, my friend. 24 is all about serial-esque audience manipulation and spinning every action-thriller cliche possible in amusing directions. It's brilliant.
Old 04-03-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by doughelm

1) Why the extra half-second reaction shots of Nina? They seem designed to build suspicion.
As the weeks go by, I'm increasingly believing that Nina may be in on it somehow. I want to say that Mason's in on it as well, but the signs are almost too obvious, so right now, I'll just guess that he doesn't like Jack.
Old 04-03-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: 24 - 4/2

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross

And the pregnancy isn't? Embrace the cheese, my friend. 24 is all about serial-esque audience manipulation and spinning every action-thriller cliche possible in amusing directions. It's brilliant.
Why is the pregnancy dumb? I mean, she is a married woman, recently reunited with her husband. It's entirely plausible that she was pregnant but hadn't known about it yet.

That's probably the most-plausible aspect of the plot so far.
Old 04-03-02, 12:13 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Re: Re: Re: Re: 24 - 4/2

Why is the pregnancy dumb?
It's a time-honored plot device used to lure house fraus since I Love Lucy.
Old 04-03-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 24 - 4/2

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross

It's a time-honored plot device used to lure house fraus since I Love Lucy.
I also have to disagree with you here. This would make sense on an average show that has been on for more than one season maybe (like Rosanne or E.R.), but what did the show stand to gain in terms of "ratings" by revealing Teri is pregnant 12 episodes into a 24 episode season which needed a pretty consistent viewing from week to week to follow?

Like women will start tuning in in droves because she's pregnant (like everyone did for Lucy)?

The writers employed this device to raise the stakes for Teri now that she has escaped the kidnapping and to give her enough extra emotional anxiety to support the amnesia angle (while it is lame, I am tired of defending how her overactively emotional 14 hours is a rational explanation - not to mention her "doctor" friend re-enforcing that this week).

It is CERTAINLY NOT written to, as you so chauvanistically put it, "lure house fraus".
Old 04-03-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, by the time the season ends, she will be, what, still a few weeks pregnant?

It's not like we have to worry about what a baby will do to Jack & Teri's homelife.

We only saw their homelife for what, 5 minutes at the beginning of the season anyway.

I don't think this pregnancy will change the dynamic of the show a la Murphy Brown or Moonlighting.

Now is there's a next season I wonder how thye will handle it. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if she miscarries. After all, she is older and she is going through a lotof stress right now.

What with her amnesia, she has NO IDEA she is even pregnant. Quick, get her away from the rides at Disneyland!
Old 04-03-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite annoyance with this show is all the "heartfelt" relevations like this show is taking place over the course of weeks. How many times is Palmer going to sit down with his son and talk things out? They've had two "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you" moments in the past 90 minutes.

das
Old 04-03-02, 01:10 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Y'all are missing my point. It's how they USE plot cliches such as a pregnancy that's a feather in 24's cap. Wait, I used a cliche there. Shame on me. Anyway, that's part of their ingenious schtick.

Last edited by G. Noel Gross; 04-03-02 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-03-02, 02:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
My favorite annoyance with this show is all the "heartfelt" relevations like this show is taking place over the course of weeks. How many times is Palmer going to sit down with his son and talk things out? They've had two "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you" moments in the past 90 minutes.

das
Good point... yeah, those are really starting to wear on me. Okay, you were busy with your career and weren't as good of a father as you could've been when your son was all messed up. We. Get. It. C'mon, time's a-wasting.
Old 04-03-02, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Patman
I'd pretty much assumed Palmer was a democrat.
I wish they would have made him a Republican. Just to do something different and unexpected.

Geez, the Kim/Rick subplot bothers me! Everytime they show the 4 split screens, then zoom in on one of them for the next scene, I always pray that it isn't Kim/Rick.
Old 04-03-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Well it's finally Miller Time on 24 and unfortunately Jack is no where near a Happy Hour.
You have captured the situation in a most eloquent manner. I have lost interest in the program finally, and spent last night from 9-10pm playing Tribes2 online. 'sigh'
Old 04-03-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they shouldnt have given him a party affiliation
Old 04-03-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Venusian
they shouldnt have given him a party affiliation
That's what I thought. Them mentioning "Democrat" seemed a little forced and out of place since they had never explicitly mentioned it before.
Old 04-03-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what I thought. Them mentioning "Democrat" seemed a little forced and out of place since they had never explicitly mentioned it before.
Maybe they are setting things up for a possible second season about an attempt on Palmer's life closer to the General Election. Who knows though.
Old 04-03-02, 05:18 PM

You know, that Kim in bikini would be a great idea! Anytime when Terri is spacing out or when Rick is being "funny", they can just cut to Kim prancing around with her bikini trying to find her way home!

As for Terri, she'll probably get her memory back when she sees the Doctor friend gets kill and kill the shooter herself by her new found psychic telepathy power. She'll be sooooo shocked that she'll faint, hit her head on the table and wake up with a new haircut and of course ... her memory back! 8-D
Old 04-03-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the last 12 hours of 24 will be a parody of the 1st 12 hours of 24.
Old 04-03-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually the amnesia subplot will be useful when the assassin confronts Teri. Because if she had her memory, she'd be like "Oh, my daughter died in a fiery car crash." (which is what Teri thinks pre-amnesia).

Instead, she is going to be like "Daughter? What daughter? Oh, yeah, I don't know where she is." And maybe the assassin will need to keep her alive for awhile as a way to lure Kim.
Old 04-04-02, 08:27 AM

Because if she had her memory, she'd be like "Oh, my daughter died in a fiery car crash."
Don't you mean "Oh, my daughter died in a fiery car crash that I somehow couldn't see after I woke up, and that you never saw the smoke from even though you were driving uphill to retrace your route"?
Old 04-04-02, 10:56 AM

Yes Kim is dumb. Yes it's pretty ridiculous that she finds Rick smart & FUNNY. But you know what? It's not unbelievable because dumb *******s get all the teenage chicks.