Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Do you lose interest during re-runs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you lose interest during re-runs?

I don't know about you, but it bums me out when shows that I like go on long periods of re-runs, or just don't air. Examples for me are "Ed" and "Gilmore Girls." I really enjoy these shows, but when they don't air a new episode for a month, I get less interested. I used to want to watch "Ed" the night it aired... but when they aired this past new episode last Wednesday, I didn't watch until yesterday (Monday).

Does absence make the heart grow fonder for you, or do you get less interested in your shows?

Fire bad!
Old 04-02-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
during reruns.. i watch other shows
and if those other shows catch my attention.. there is a fair chance I wont go back to the original show

of course this doesnt apply to the shows that I really enjoy alot
Old 04-03-02, 01:38 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends. I used to watch Charmed but it seemed like WB would air new ones for 3-4 weeks, but then have back to back reruns. I finally got sick of it and gave up watching it all together.
On the other hand there's Farscape. I get the shakes just thinking about new eps.!
Old 04-03-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watch so much television that re-runs give me a chance to catch my breath. I know that's sacrilegious, but sometimes it's nice to have a little break and maybe watch a show you otherwise wouldn't have time for. I think it's true that I lose a little interest in some shows, but I usually pick right back up once the new episode airs.

das
Old 04-03-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I get more upset with hiatuses. 2 of my favorites, Philly and Titus, are on hiatus right now.
Old 04-03-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
I get more upset with hiatuses. 2 of my favorites, Philly and Titus, are on hiatus right now.
Yeah, that does suck ... when some other jackass show takes another show's spot for a month or longer. Grr ... I want my Philly.

das
Old 04-03-02, 10:46 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I watch so much television that re-runs give me a chance to catch my breath. I know that's sacrilegious, but sometimes it's nice to have a little break and maybe watch a show you otherwise wouldn't have time for. I think it's true that I lose a little interest in some shows, but I usually pick right back up once the new episode airs.

das
I agree with Das, the break is nice, and I am also upset with Philly on hiatus, why damnit....

But for me there is usually something on on some channel to watch, I have my core programs, and add in 1 or 2 per season...

and usually drop 1 or 2. ER is looking dangerously close to being dropped given the whole Mark Greene storyline, I hate storylines that are obviously dragged out for months on end.
Old 04-03-02, 02:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
and usually drop 1 or 2. ER is looking dangerously close to being dropped given the whole Mark Greene storyline, I hate storylines that are obviously dragged out for months on end.
Soon you (and the ER writers) won't have Mark Greene to kick around anymore, though... he's got about four months to live. Hopefully the good people at ER can speed that up, though. I swear, the writers always dumped crap on Greene and Carter. Yes, the other characters have had their share... but it seems like those two have had theirs and more. Hopefully this will pave the way for more Gallant. Yay, Gallant!

Next episode
Spoiler:
is apparently Greene's last in the actual ER.
Old 04-03-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Greetings Programs!

Here's the dealio for me. 90% of the shows I watch via Replay. I either use the commercials to do chores, or fly right through them. The only shows I watch live are: Buffy and Angel. I continue to watch the reruns.

During hiatus of other shows, sometimes I watch the reruns and sometimes I watch other stuff. Discovery Science and Civilization are both very addicting and so is BBC America. So, I watch those when I can as well.

However, now that I have, on DVD, season one of Angel, with season two coming out this month; I have season one and three of Buffy, with season two on the way and season four coming out either this month or next, I can pretty much watch Buffy and Angel whenever I want and sometimes that's better than most new shows and ninty percent of the reruns.

I can't wait for B5 and with TNG in full swing, I may not have time for TV! However, if they keep coimg out with lamo "reality" TV and suck scifi shows, it may not be a bad thing.
Old 04-04-02, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

das
I agree 100%. I'm always behind in watching my shows - even when they've aired a ton of reruns in a row, as I tend to fill in the blanks with dvds. But I don't really like being caught up, as I can't stand commercials. And sometimes it's easier for me after a couple of weeks have passed - I can wait a month if I can wait 2 weeks, and I can wait 3 months if I can wait a month, and so on. In this way, I get marathon viewings which are SO much more satisfying to me - no commercials and no cliffhangers and no waiting to find out "what happens next?!?!?" - I'm like a little kid in that respect. I've done this with Gilmore Girls this season - I have at least 9 eps to watch. I'm trying to see how long I can stand it - then it'll be a Gilmore Girls marathon. I love marathons. If only they'd replay season one in order so I could archive those, too. Funny how it's easier for me to not watch a show at all (knowing I've got them on tape for a future wonderful marathon) than to watch each week and be on pins and needles for the next episode. Guess I'm weird.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 04-04-02 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-04-02, 08:32 AM
Moderator Emeritus

For some reason this season it has. Last night's Dawson's Creek was new, but I don't even really care that I ended up missing it.