TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

X-Files 3/17/02

Old 03-17-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
X-Files 3/17/02

The 9th to the last episode of X-Files.

It was a little on the spooky side, and the unraveling of the parallel plots of getting Monica out from her apparent death (lack of brain activity after being side-swiped by a drunk driveR), and the Dr. Death angle made for an okay episode. It was definitely not great, but it wasn't super-hokey. The whole Doggett/Monica love angle heating up isn't what I wanted to see, but it's not the worse that could happen. And of course Doggett is a dog person, his name is DOGget, for Pete's sake!

I was sort of left cold by how clinical Scully was towards the "death" of Monica, she didn't quite give out much in terms of emotional response to this event.

It appears we'll be getting some more X-Files cases for the next week, and probably won't see any true wrap-up of the series until the end of April.
Old 03-17-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last three episodes have NOT restored my faith in Xfiles as a franchise... I think chris carter's brain has just stopped trying.

I mean tonight wasn't exactly a man-eating-plant episode... but where was the conspiracy..? where was the mulder angle, the baby angle..? ... (granted i didn't watch the whole ep, but it was boring me, i coudln't help it.)
Old 03-18-02, 12:40 AM

I enjoyed the story tonight, but at times I thought I was watching Twilight Zone instead of The X-Files.
Old 03-18-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Arcade
I enjoyed the story tonight, but at times I thought I was watching Twilight Zone instead of The X-Files.
i was thinking more Outer Limits than TZ... it wasn't that unnerving - still, a good story.
Old 03-18-02, 03:05 AM
Banned

Is Skinner in a coma next week?
Old 03-18-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Is Skinner in a coma next week?
No...... next for a coma: the viewers.
Old 03-18-02, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Is there a definitive "coma" list for the show?

Because, damn, these people sure spend a lot of time unconscious in hospital beds, don't they?
Old 03-18-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was the suckiest bunch of suck that ever did suck.

I want my money back! ...oh wait. Dammit! It was free and I still fill ripped off >
Old 03-18-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by RaMMaR

i was thinking more Outer Limits than TZ... it wasn't that unnerving - still, a good story.
EXACTLY what I was thinking during the episode. This episode was LAME, LAME, LAME! I mean there was nothing really in it to make it an X-Files episode... Doggett, Reyes and Scully's characters embodied nothing to make it any different that a standalone Outer Limits episode... except Outer Limits usually has better production values (e.g. the coffee cup over the edge - yikes!).

I kept watching this episode and was shouting at the screen "WHERE IS THE CASE?!?!" (Not to mention Skinner!) I mean things could have been rescued rather easily if Doggett realized the doctor was deliberately killing off patients in comas with a living will and donor card to get their organs on the black market or something. Instead we never really figure out why he was doing what he was doing or how the flower woman was related to the whole "way station" concept, etc. In X-Files tradition there should have been a case involved (even if it was started AFTER Monica was in the hospital) and ultimately related to the person with the extra-sensory ability however inexplicable his/her powers were. I just didn't buy the "he likes to watch his patients die" theory of Doggett's - I mean couldn't they have TRIED to resolve it in the last two minutes instead of that pathetic longing sequence between Doggett and Reyes? Yeesh!

In upcoming episodes - I'd expect to see 2 or 3 more "case" episodes (and at least one more coma ) before returning to the mythology and series wrap up (next week is a case - should be another, and there is a Duchovny/Carter written case script coming up too). Also one of the episodes is supposed to be devoted to a wrap up for The Lone Gunman guys too. So that leaves four episodes to wrap the series. Enough time, no?
Old 03-18-02, 01:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

funny, i thought last nights xfiles was superb and I've been watching x-files for a long long time.
Old 03-18-02, 01:18 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
funny, i thought last nights xfiles was superb and I've been watching x-files for a long long time.
Same here and I'm with ya. Dug it.
Old 03-19-02, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross

Same here and I'm with ya. Dug it.
Me too. Best written ep in years.
Old 03-19-02, 01:48 PM

Very fine acting by Robert Patrick! His emotional response to Monica's condition was right-on.
Old 03-22-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved the episode and thought it was well done. I did figure out it was the doctor early on, which is unusual for me. It was disappointing for them not to show why the doctor did it, but I'm guessing that we're supposed to acertain the doctor was doing it for the organs. But they only showed us that Monica had a donor card.

Did anyone recognize the actress that played Audrey was in another episode of the X-Files? I can't think of the name of it, but this girl, about 10 or so was kidnapped and this older woman was experiencing some of the same things the girl was. Mulder and Scully found out she had been kidnapped herself. The long and the short of it was that she died for the kid. At first I thought it was the same character, who was actually dead, which is why she could move back and forth between both places.

BTW - if everyone hates this show so much, why continue to watch?
Old 03-22-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by elektra
I loved the episode and thought it was well done. I did figure out it was the doctor early on, which is unusual for me. It was disappointing for them not to show why the doctor did it, but I'm guessing that we're supposed to acertain the doctor was doing it for the organs. But they only showed us that Monica had a donor card.

Did anyone recognize the actress that played Audrey was in another episode of the X-Files? I can't think of the name of it, but this girl, about 10 or so was kidnapped and this older woman was experiencing some of the same things the girl was. Mulder and Scully found out she had been kidnapped herself. The long and the short of it was that she died for the kid. At first I thought it was the same character, who was actually dead, which is why she could move back and forth between both places.

BTW - if everyone hates this show so much, why continue to watch?
Most of us still love the show, despite some pretty bad episodes this year. Some simply feel the need to keep whining. I'm sure they'll still be complaining about the show even when it's off the air.

But that was, indeed, a very great show. Easily the best of the season. And a stand alone that probably was written before they decided to end the show.

Finally, you recognized Tracey Ellis who played Lucy Householder in Oubliette (3x08).

Keep watching the last shows:
Underneath
Scary Monsters
Improbable
JUMP THE SHARK
William
Release
Sunshine Days
The Truth (expect the only truth is that this show will be a great set-up for the 2nd film!)
Old 03-25-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG!!
The show will actaully be called "Jump The Shark"????
nice.
mini
BTW, was a new show on last nigt opposite teh Oscars???

mini
Old 03-25-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by minifigg
BTW, was a new show on last nigt opposite teh Oscars???

mini
No - Independence Day was broadcast from 7-10pm I believe.
Old 03-25-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

rfduncan is correct. They will pick up again next week I believe. Unless Easter Show's take over. We are due for The Robe and The Ten Commandments.