Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game Show Network adds a few to the lineup in April including Whammy!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Are you going to watch any of these?
Hollywood Squares
18.18%
Win Lose or Draw
27.27%
Whammy! (The All New Press Your Luck)
75.76%
None of these
15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Game Show Network adds a few to the lineup in April including Whammy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 05:06 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally saw the commercial for Whammy. I'm actually looking foward to it but at the same time I'm going to miss things like the break dancing, and other 80's whammies.
Old 03-25-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
all new press your luck!
gotta be the best gameshow ever!
Old 04-07-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I stopped watching that network the second they dumped Throut & Neck. That show was rule.
Old 04-07-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't find old repeats of game shows very interesting although I did have to laugh when one of the big prizes on Let's Make a Deal was a videogame console for PONG!!!!

I'll check out Whammy.
Old 04-08-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sure hope they make that movie with Bill Murray playing the guy who memorized the Press Your Luck board and won $350,000. That guy was frickin cool.
Old 04-08-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

just one more week till whammy!
Old 04-08-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 619 Likes on 498 Posts
I flipped by GSN yesterday and saw Kirstie Alley as a contestant on Password Plus (circa 1980). Her celebrity teammate was Lucille Ball. That was pretty weird to see her on a game show before she became famous.
Old 04-09-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know the artist and song title of the song they use in the dancing one with Todd and the Whammy on the street?

It is rap and goes like "12 inch master slammin' jammin' to the pumped up funk"
Old 04-15-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight at 10pm!
Old 04-15-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

WooHoooo noooooooo whammy!!!
Old 04-15-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope everyone is watching! I don't get GSN in the dorm so I will have to wait till Friday to check it out on the Tivo.

WHAMMY!
BIG BUCKS, BIG BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Im watching

they dump stuff on you in the double whammy round
Old 04-15-02, 09:39 PM

OK, going in, I was worried that this would be horrid.

It wasn't that bad though. I tuned in at the end of the first round. It seemed like an element of excitement was really missing, but that will improve (I hope). Dumping stuff on the contestants is stupid, but tolerable. The board almost seemed too cluttered. I'm looking at a big screen television, and I still couldn't tell what the prizes were that had been landed on until it was blown up on the center video screen.

I shall continue to watch and see how things progress. The middle contestant annoyed me so hopefully a better batch will improve the show
Old 04-16-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

to some of the new stuff

Otherwise it was pretty good

Todd Newton isn't that bad!
Old 04-16-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

The board is much too hard to read.
Old 04-16-02, 05:16 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

At first, I didn't think I would like the idea of people having stuff dropped on them, but it didn't bother me now that I saw it.
Not too crazy about the host though.
Old 04-16-02, 09:05 PM

I assumed they would bring back a returning champion, but they aren't. Kinda disappointing. I always enjoyed the evilness of passing your spins to the person way ahead when you have next to nothing, simply hoping to come back next show.
Old 04-16-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by guildda
I assumed they would bring back a returning champion, but they aren't. Kinda disappointing. I always enjoyed the evilness of passing your spins to the person way ahead when you have next to nothing, simply hoping to come back next show.
Yep they did away with that

Lots of pictures and video clips of the new whammies and such at:
http://gscentral.net/npyl.htm
Old 04-16-02, 11:44 PM

Better than I thought it would be, but still kinda sucks.

Do the people who create these "All New" versions of old game shows realize that people liked the way the old show was?

How many shows fail? The answer is most do. When one decides to bring back an old show, do they not understand they have a formula that "works" and that doesn't need to be "re-tooled?"

Anyway, I guess the new "Whammy" is a little better than I thought it would be, but not that great. If I were put in charge of fixing it and had a real budget....

GRIPES:

1. Music/Sound Effects: The theme music sounds very cheap and generic. The original had a great sound effect when a player hit a whammy, they should bring that back. The "Board Noise" sounds about the same, which is good, but you can barely hear it.

2. No Returning Champ: As another member pointed out, the whole strategy at the end of the game has a lot to do with being a returning champ. Tonight, a player passed to someone with over $8000 who whammied and lost. The player who won took home a dishwaser and no $$$. The fact that she doesn't get to come back as a champ makes her "victory" pretty lame and makes her look bad. She took $8,000 from someone for a friggin kitchen appliance.

3. No first question round means they start the show facing the board. Sorta kills a little drama. The first set twirl brings you to the slower part of the show. That twirl should be "revealing" a more exciting segment, not a less exciting one.

4. Where's Peter Tomarkin?

5. Making the contestants "run" out on stage gives the show the feel of one of those chick game shows where they go shopping for crap. Or a show on Nickelodeon. Or a bad SNL skit.

6. Wacky/douchebag contestants. Don't bring in the Fear Factor rejects as contestants, bring in people who want to win money and not look like morons on TV.

7. I could do without the Double Whammy.

8. The Board sucks.

There's probably more, but it's only been two episodes.
Old 04-17-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Number_One

2. No Returning Champ: As another member pointed out, the whole strategy at the end of the game has a lot to do with being a returning champ. Tonight, a player passed to someone with over $8000 who whammied and lost. The player who won took home a dishwaser and no $$$. The fact that she doesn't get to come back as a champ makes her "victory" pretty lame and makes her look bad. She took $8,000 from someone for a friggin kitchen appliance.

I didn't know that (didn't watch Tuesday). That takes a lot of strategy out of the game.
Old 04-17-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(I havent seen the show yet, I will Friday when I watch the Tivo. All of my responses are from clips and pictures I've seen from the first episode (April 15th))

1. I heard a clip of the new theme music... The board sounds are fine, just about the same, but I do agree they need to be louder!

2. I agree. No returning champs kills the whole strategy that was cool about PYL.

3. I agree - that is the most stupid thing they have done. Questions before board - ALWAYS PEOPLE!

4. They filmed two pilots, one with Peter and one with Todd. They went with Todd.

7. From the clips I have seen, double whammies do not bother me. I want them to bring back some classic whammies though.

8. I agree! For one, it is very confusing with its setup (maybe so people can't memorize). The screens are too small, you can hardly tell what is there!

Anyway, I can't wait to watch the full episode when I get home, I can't live on these clips any longer heh.