Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sally Jessy Raphael Show Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Sally Jessy Raphael Show Cancelled

(As a former Springer show employee, I find this very interesting. Look for Jenny Jones to get the ax next --GuessWho)

SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL SHOW' WILL CONCLUDE TWO-DECADE RUN AT THE END OF THIS SEASON

(New York, NY, March 11, 2002) Studios USA Domestic Television's Sally Jessy Raphael Show, the longest-running talk show currently on daytime television and the first nationally syndicated single-topic talk show hosted by a woman, will conclude its nearly 20-year run at the end of this season. Raphael and SUDT President Steve Rosenberg made the announcement today.

"I've been on television for 46 years, which must be a record. I've been proud of many of the shows we've produced over the last two decades. It was my personal statement about the issues facing society and the moral choices that people make. It has been important to me to tackle topics that are meaningful and in good taste.

"I am proud that we were able to help so many guests and viewers find solutions to their problems and comfort in their lives. I am also proud to have created the production formats that most talk shows now use. It has been a real privilege to have the opportunity to be in so many homes for such a long time. I will truly miss our very talented staff, dedicated crew and our loyal television audience."

Said Rosenberg, "On both a personal and professional level, this is very difficult for me and everyone at Studios USA. I will miss working with Sally, who I consider to be a consummate pro. Sally turned this show into an incredible franchise with her passion, dedication, care and keen competitive instincts. We are all very proud to be associated with this show and with Sally, a tough competitor and a true broadcast pioneer whose success paved the way for so many others to enter this field. It is a testament to Sally's talent and strength that, during her tenure on the air, more than 60 other syndicated talk shows have come and gone. Sally's show will go down in the record books as an enormous success story and she will always have our sincere thanks and gratitude."

The Sally Jessy Raphael Show currently appears on 190 television stations covering 98% of the U.S. and is seen in countries around the world, including the United Kingdom, Canada and New Zealand. It had already been renewed for next season on stations covering more than 70% of the U.S.

Prior to launching her signature television show, Raphael was a pioneering presence in TV and radio. She served as a UPI and AP foreign correspondent in Europe and Central America; a familiar TV personality in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean; and one of the first female TV news anchors in New York. She was also one of the first female rock deejays and, for many years, hosted the most successful nighttime radio shows on the NBC and ABC radio networks. Additionally, she has appeared as an actress in more than 100 feature films and TV shows. Raphael received Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Talk Show Host and for Outstanding Talk Show. Sally Jessy Raphael and her husband Karl Soderlund live in New York and in Nice, France.

The Sally Jessy Raphael Show is produced and distributed by Studios USA Domestic Television. Studios USA (www.studiosusa.com), a division of USA Networks, Inc.'s (NASDAQ: USAI) Entertainment group, responsible for some of the biggest drama and talk hits on television, consists of first-run production and distribution and network development and production.

Last edited by GuessWho; 03-12-02 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-12-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
NOOOOOOO!!!!!! I was just beginning to recover from the unthinkable tragedy of 9/11, and now this?

Good riddance. Now how do we get those other integrity-deprived, barrel-scraping opportunists Springer, Povich, Lake, et al off the air?
Old 03-12-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Old 03-12-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "Good Riddance" here
Old 03-12-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally, but it's still 19 years too late.
Old 03-12-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sally Jessy Raphael Show Cancelled

Originally posted by GuessWho
(As a former Springer show employee, I find this very interesting. Look for Jenny Jones to get the ax next --GuessWho)

NOOOOOOO not Jenny and the Hoes!! Her "I'm a sanky slut; who likes to wear clothes that show my butt." Shows are the only reason I stay up until 3 am.
Old 03-12-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
No not JENNY! I gotta have my fix of "My daughter's boobs are big and she loves showing them"!!!

Anyway, Sally is getting sooooo stiff and out of it. I watch and she just seems to be on life support with handlers showing her where to point her head.

I remember when she was kinda tough and stood up to people.

Let us not forget she was one of the pioneers of this format and a paved the way for women talk show hosts. SO she desreves some respect.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-13-02 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-13-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Giantrobo. This show was quite fresh at its peak. It is really on life support now. Topics have been covered a million times.

Ratings for Springer are not good either. Although I admit to watching occasionally for mindless fun, it would do us all a service by dying a quit death.
Old 03-13-02, 08:14 AM

I will always have fond memories of Sally Jessy saying "BL*WJ*B" on the 15 Minutes DVD featurette
Old 03-13-02, 10:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 03-14-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jmclemore
I will always have fond memories of Sally Jessy saying "BL*WJ*B" on the 15 Minutes DVD featurette
I haven't seen that one.