Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cox Digital Cable / DirecTV / other options?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am moving into a house and I am debating whether to continue with Cox Digital Cable (lots of channels, $70 / month or so) - or get DirecTV or something else?

Mainly we watch NBC, FOX (for 24 ) and the HBO's.

I also would like to have SciFi, Nasa, The Discovery Channels etc.

Otherwise no real requirements..

I dont have any major complaints really on the digital cable, but do i get more / save $ or have other benefits with some other option?
Old 03-05-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Satellite is usually the best price-per-channel value... Of course it's not right for everyone, since you need a good dish location... And if you don't live someplace that qualifies for all the networks, much of the satellite advantage is lost...

If you can get all the channels you want via DirectTV there are great advantages -- one of the best being the DirecTivo -- which gives you the ability to record two satellite shows at once, while you watch one of your previously TiVoed shows...

People who go the DirecTivo route are about the happiest campers in TV-land these days...
Old 03-05-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are the directivo's upgradeable?

Also - I really want hi-def tv if possible!! Cox cable does not have that.
Old 03-05-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ravan
Are the directivo's upgradeable?

Also - I really want hi-def tv if possible!! Cox cable does not have that.
Yep; adding an additionial hard-drive to the DirecTivo is just like the (Series 1) standalone -- perfectly easy if you're even marginally tech-savvy...
Old 03-05-02, 06:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
another vote here for Directv with the Directivo, I smile inwardly every time I use it. it is an amazing amazing thing esp the ability to record to shows at once.

Also being on the west coast with directv I get some East coast showtimes, like HBO on sundays shows are at 6pm instead of 9, sopranos etc.

MTV is on the East Coast Schedule.

You can't go wrong with a Directivo box, and for pricing deals etc
go over to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
and check out the DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo forum
Old 03-05-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate Cox, but that's what I'm stuck with since it's not cost-effective to have DirecTV and a cable modem.

My parents have DirecTivo and love it. I'm sure it's cheaper too.
Old 03-05-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDave
I hate Cox, but that's what I'm stuck with since it's not cost-effective to have DirecTV and a cable modem.

My parents have DirecTivo and love it. I'm sure it's cheaper too.
Does that mean you don't pay for cable?
Old 03-06-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you have to buy the tivo directly from directv right? meaning you cant get in on the "Deals" etc no?
Old 03-06-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I am in the same situation I went with DirecTV because of HDNET and Cox for cable modem service. If I buy the modem from Cox it is only 29 a month plus another 6 for basic cable. I get local stations with my dish. All together it is about the same prices as time warner digital cable and road runner.
Old 03-06-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I got rid of cable 5 years ago for Direct TV and have never regretted it.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 03-06-02 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-06-02, 10:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

So you have to buy the tivo directly from directv right? meaning you cant get in on the "Deals" etc no?
Nope you can buy it from anywhere, and get all the deals. It's perfect, I paid 400 for mine over a year ago, and people were getting them around the holidays for under 100 installed.

The best thing about it is that it is your reciever and your vcr in one box.

And on a couple of HBO Channels you get full 5.1 Surround Sound for movies that have it.
Old 03-06-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We are discussing this now for my mother. She just moved into a new home and wants a certain obscure channel. It's on Cox Digital.

The downsides of Cox is that it's expensive, and she will not use or appreciate the extras beyond this one channel. She will not care about the music for example. And she wants to run this on two TVs in separate rooms. Which I think means I will need to look into a wireless A/V transmitter, since the digital signal requires a box, right?

I assume that Digital Cable also transmits analog cable, so she could still watch the normal cable channels on her other sets?

But it occurred to me that as long as Direct TV carried the obscure (Japanese) TV programming, it may be a better option considering the deals now for installation of Direct TV and Tivo.

One other consideration is that she is pretty technically illiterate so if it's more complicated, that would be a bad thing.
Old 03-06-02, 11:26 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

The Directivo system is the easiest possible system to use, esp with how the on screen guide, and recording are integrated into one guide.

You just cruise to the channel up to 2 weeks in advance, and then select a program, it then asks do you wish to record it, and you say yes.

When programs are recorded. you just press the tivo button 2 times to see a listing of all programs you have recorded.

Season passes are even easier to setup and remove the hassle of remembering to setup the vcr once a week, and make sure there is a tape in it.

I think your mother would love Directivo Randy
Old 03-07-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where are some of these deals? It sounds very good

I am still confused : Is it a completly regular tivo (ie you can buy any tivo you want) or is it a special directv one?

Any links to these suckas?
Old 03-07-02, 09:19 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

okay there is a standalone tivo which you can hoook up to any cable box. There are not many deals on these.

The directivo box is a combo unit on which deals can be found.

Adn normally over on the tivo forum people detail ways to get the deals...
Old 03-07-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where are some of these deals? It sounds very good

I am still confused : Is it a completly regular tivo (ie you can buy any tivo you want) or is it a special directv one?

Any links to these suckas?
The DirecTiVo is a different machine than the standalone TiVo... It's a combination satellite receiver box & TiVo machine...

There's a great TiVo forum with lots of DirecTiVo experts here... It's almost as nice as DVDTalk... They may have some ongoing "deals" threads or be able to point you in the right direction... It'd be good reading for you in any case...

I don't have satellite myself -- I can't get the big networks due to the darn exclusivity laws, and don't want to hassle with two sources... But the DirecTiVo is clearly the way to go...
Old 03-07-02, 10:36 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Stolen from the avstivo forum

http://www.orbitsat.com/ is advertising a Hughes DTivo for $49.95 plus $20 shipping. I believe it includes a free installation kit. They show them in stock.

GXCEB0T32 Hughes GXCEB0T TiVo and DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System Satellite receiver with a built-in TiVo Personal Recorder. Dolby Digital Output and IR Remote, the 35 Hour TiVo recorder with dual tuner Record 2 different shows while watching a recorded one. Support for all NEW DIRECTV Satellites 101,110 & 119 including Local To local. And an 18" Dish with a Dual LNB.
For new DIRECTV customers- Includes Complimentary Installation Kit.
You must activate the DIRECTV and TiVo services to qualify for this offer.
Old 03-07-02, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any deals out there for existing directv customers?

Clint