Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anybody else collect Best Pictures?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All -

Does anybody else on here collect the Academy Award winning Best Picture movies?

I have all but 5 and I have a few questions... Is Dances with Wolves ever going to get re-released? Why haven't they released some of the Best Pictures on DVD (particularly those in the 20's and 30's)? Why are some only offered in pan and scan (the sting, chariots of fire, etc...)?

Does anybody else make their own artwork for best pictures? I have always wanted to make my own line of Best Picture artwork, so I started to, ala Criterion.

Has anyone else done this? Any ideas?

Old 02-09-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting topic and you raise some good questions, but... you've posted this in the TV forum. Your probably better off deleting this post and re-posting in the DVDTalk forum.

A couple of quick answers:

1. Dances with Wolves is now owned by MGM and they plan a SE soon (I've heard June, but nothing is definite yet). It is unknown if they are going to release the 3-hour theatrical cut, or the longer 4-hour director's cut. And the fate of the existing commentary track is also unknown.

2. A lot of older films (including some Best Picture winners) haven't made it onto DVD yet for financial reasons. Frankly, as much as you (and I) love these movies, they don't sell very well unless there is a huge (Citizen Kane-type) release. Usually, these titles require a bunch of $$$$$ for digital cleanup/restoration to be put on DVD... and that's a hard thing for studios to swallow when they know that a title won't even sell a tenth as well as, say, The Fast and the Furious or Rush Hour 2. Studios like WB and even MGM have just begun to delve deeper into their catalogs... there are still a ton of older films yet to release.

3. Pan & Scan. There may be several answers to this question, but I think the general answer is that most of those titles (The Sting, Chariots, Driving Miss Daisy) came out right at the beginning of DVD... before studios fully understood what must be done to create a decent DVD. If released in 2002, those titles would not only be in the original aspect ratio, but would probably also have a bunch of supplements. I'm sure that these will all be re-released properly sooner or later.

Neat artwork, by the way. There's an alternated cover art thread in the DVDTalk forum that you may want to consider posting to. But is that the Dreamworks logo on Gone with the Wind?
Old 02-09-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe you posted this in the TV forum!