TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed - 2/6/02

Old 02-06-02, 09:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

Ed - 2/6/02

- No $10 bet AGAIN... hope this isn't a trend.

- Cheswick is SUCH a spaz! UGH! I really, REALLY, like the character when he has a normal moment once in a while... he had one or two during the show... but he's just a little bit too outrageous for his own good. Diane's always great, though, and I actually like Mark this episode. Too bad Jessica flaked out, although she has good reason to... it's just too bad she didn't realize all that before getting involved with Warren.

- What was that look that Phil had on his face when Molly left the bowling alley after their tutoring session? Was it attraction? Hm. This is interesting, considering the rumor that I heard...
Spoiler:
Her boyfriend is married.

- I like Andy Richter, but I like him better when he's just being Andy Richter, the Everyman.

- I liked what Ed said about looking down on our younger selves as being a tragedy, if you couldn't tell. And I thought the lyrics to the song were GREAT. Speaking of, Carol shows more of her true colors this episode... the entire show, she's like, "No, you shouldn't play!" And at the very end, she says, "You should play!" Insanity, thy name is Carol Vessey.

Ed good!
Old 02-06-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

static,

basically everything you said i agree with. but to add to your musings, at the end did anyone else notice how carol had her head on ed's chest at the funeral? that coupled with ed's memorable "can't compromise about the girl." line makes me hope even more that maybe the writers will get those two wacky kids together sooner rather then later.
Old 02-06-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all in all, not a bad episode. I thought the video tape of their friend as a teenager was a little too much of a coincidence. (what are the odds that they'd find a long lost tape of him telling them what he wanted at his funeral just days before his funeral)

Looks like the Jessica Martel storyline has run its course, which I think is a good thing.

I cracked up about Phil's Flat screen TV offer. "Stick a DVD in that sonofabitch and you'll have surround sound coming out of your a$$"
Old 02-06-02, 10:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by kevin75
at the end did anyone else notice how carol had her head on ed's chest at the funeral? that coupled with ed's memorable "can't compromise about the girl." line makes me hope even more that maybe the writers will get those two wacky kids together sooner rather then later.
I don't think that was anything beyond a friendly "friend being consoled by a friend" gesture. I'm not holding my breath about Ed & Carol, although I really want it to happen. It's amazing how Jessica Martel seems to have a better grasp on relationships than Carol. Hey, if Cheswick is supposed to be a younger Ed, is Jessica supposed to be a younger Carol? They were/are both Miss Popular in high school. Maybe Mark will grow up to be a doctor like Mike.

Fire bad!
Old 02-07-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was kind of getting douche chills when Jessica was letting Warren down because he was practically crying and begging. Be a man, Cheswick!

When I first heard Andy Richter was going to be on this episode, I thought "UGH he will be sooo annoying". I was right, of course.

Funny joke with Ed and Nancy pretending to make out on the couch and stammer & stutter when caught by Mike.
Old 02-07-02, 12:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I was kind of getting douche chills when Jessica was letting Warren down because he was practically crying and begging. Be a man, Cheswick!
Um... what's a douche chill?

He seemed totally real right before he and Jessica kissed. Like, I dug his character right then... he was talking about how sometimes, he goes into "impress" mode. Right around there. And then for the rest of the show, he turned into a raving ninny.

Fire bad!
Old 02-07-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've already forgotten what the name of the theme song (opening) to ED is?

The artist and song title??

Can anybody help me out here?

thanks.
Old 02-07-02, 08:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I've already forgotten what the name of the theme song (opening) to ED is?

The artist and song title??

Can anybody help me out here?

thanks.
Currently, I believe the artist and song title is Clem Snide, "Moment In The Sun." Currently, the theme song SUCKS. Especially when compared to last year's theme song, "Next Year" by the Foo Fighters. I've found a work-around... whenever the theme song comes on, I hit mute, and play "Next Year" off my computer.

Can you tell how much I hate the new theme song?

Fighters of Foo good!
Old 02-07-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ed actually plays and sings
plus
Andy Richter works at "the Republic"
plus
Warren gets it on
plus
Phil says "ass"
plus
Carol is wrong yet again
plus
special guest appearance by Curtis Armstrong
equals
TV magic.

I'm getting douche chills just thinking about it.
Old 02-07-02, 05:34 PM

A good episode, but one of the best moments was when Jessica had no idea who Mark was. I think that said something about her character right there. Now they can get Warren and Diane together.
Old 02-07-02, 06:51 PM

Good episode. Plenty of laughs and a good ending. I also liked their Winter Olympics bit...
Old 02-07-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by martin q. blank
A good episode, but one of the best moments was when Jessica had no idea who Mark was. I think that said something about her character right there. Now they can get Warren and Diane together.
someone please provide a spoiler for me on what happened between jessica and warren. i missed the episode cause i was yapping away with someone and only caught bits and pieces.
Old 02-07-02, 09:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by martin q. blank
See, I didn't know everyone in my school... I don't think anyone should be expected to. Sure, he's Cheswick's friend, but they had just started going out. Jessica and Mark don't run in the same circles... they hadn't been introduced... I don't see the big deal. Although at first, I was like, "Oh, that was mean!"

Short story on what happened between Warren & Jessica...

- Warren apologized for messing up on their date; Jessica accepted the apology, and invited him to a party
- Warren and Jessica take a walk outside during the party, and she lays a kiss on him.
- Warren and Jessica date for about a half-hour (in TV time, anyways)... Diane and Mark realize what's going on, and they're floored. At least Diane is.
- Jessica realizes that she needs a little time in between her last relationship and this one with Warren, to figure out who she is, and breaks up with Warren... Warren goes all scary-Cheswick on her, and in a desperate move, asks her if he can sleep with her... she turns him down. That's that.

Fire bad!
Old 02-07-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Perhaps we can finally move on with the 3rd act of the "Some Kind of Wonderful" storyline for Warren and Diane.
Old 02-09-02, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Static Cling
See, I didn't know everyone in my school... I don't think anyone should be expected to. Sure, he's Cheswick's friend, but they had just started going out. Jessica and Mark don't run in the same circles... they hadn't been introduced... I don't see the big deal. Although at first, I was like, "Oh, that was mean!"

Short story on what happened between Warren & Jessica...

- Warren apologized for messing up on their date; Jessica accepted the apology, and invited him to a party
- Warren and Jessica take a walk outside during the party, and she lays a kiss on him.
- Warren and Jessica date for about a half-hour (in TV time, anyways)... Diane and Mark realize what's going on, and they're floored. At least Diane is.
- Jessica realizes that she needs a little time in between her last relationship and this one with Warren, to figure out who she is, and breaks up with Warren... Warren goes all scary-Cheswick on her, and in a desperate move, asks her if he can sleep with her... she turns him down. That's that.

Fire bad!
Thanks! But how did they even get up to a date??? I've missed out on a few episodes, I suppose. But last thing I remember, Warren was trying out for the wrestling team to impress Jessica.

Argh! He really asked her if he could sleep with her??? OMG, there's never been a character on TV that makes me cringe so much and yet, root for at the same time.
Old 02-09-02, 10:16 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by hahn
Thanks! But how did they even get up to a date??? I've missed out on a few episodes, I suppose. But last thing I remember, Warren was trying out for the wrestling team to impress Jessica.

Argh! He really asked her if he could sleep with her??? OMG, there's never been a character on TV that makes me cringe so much and yet, root for at the same time.
You ARE behind. Check out www.televisionwithoutpity.com (formerly MightyBigTV) for some great episode recaps.

But in short:
- one of Diane's relatives is a publicist, and tries to improve Warren's image and make him appear more popular than he is, and it works
- Warren tries to be the class clown, thinking that will be the key to popularity, but it doesn't work... he asks Jessica out, and she turns him down
- same ep as above, Warren goes to Jessica, and in an awesome moment of actual normalness, thanks Jessica for spurning him, and says that she should stick with the cool kids (Jakey, Fozzcat, etc.), because that's who deserves to be around (I think)... Jessica looks shocked, almost saying that she doesn't even like the cool kids, and asks Warren out... he says yes
- Warren & Jessica go out to dinner, they get along smashingly (despite him freaking out here and there)... until he says that she's a lot more down to earth and cool than he thought she would be. Jessica wonders why exactly he wanted to date her, if he thought that she was going to be a stuck-up bitch... Warren flails about in his Warrenish awkwardness, and Jessica storms out. Diane is actually waiting outside of the restaurant when Warren chases after Jessica, and basically says, "See, I told you so, she's just a stuck-up cheerleader," and Warren says, "No, she's cooler than I ever imagined," and Diane looks visibly disturbed by Warren's increased attraction.

Okay, I know that wasn't exactly "in short," but that's over three or four hours of TV. I think I did okay.

Fire bad!