Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Horrid Promotion for "24" During the Superbowl...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I watched the Superbowl from start to finish, including commercials. But, I'll be honest, I DID miss the entire halftime show when I turned to Fear Factor, so if Fox promoted "24" during this time then my point is moot but.....

The show has disappointing ratings, yet is arguably the best new show of the season. Sutherland just won a Golden Globe for best actor in a drama. Then, Fox gets the biggest sports event to showcase ads for this show. So, my question is WHERE WERE THE '24' PROMO'S? I'll be honest, I did see one. But, it was already AFTER the Patriots had won the game. I just don't logically understand it. I know that this is one of those shows where if you missed many episodes, then you missed a whole lot. But, considering it didn't even come on last week, plus the weak ratings, I expected two or three promo's of the show, epsecially around the time when the game got very exciting.

Anyone know if there's a method to Fox's madness?
Old 02-04-02, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw quite a few, so I think maybe you just happened to avoid them somehow. It was certainly the most advertised drama. Did you see the longer ad, I think it was shortly before kickoff, that advertised The West Wing as the 2nd best drama on television, because 24 was the best (according to a critics' survey)?

The ads I saw were also designed to counter the belief it is too late to start watching. They were along the lines of "don't worry what you have missed - worry about what you are going to miss if you don't watch this tuesday!!"
Old 02-04-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fox ran a number of ads for 24 during the game. How did you miss tham all? They showed the one that dave955 mentioned a number of times, as well as another one advertising that beginning this Tuesday, there will be a new episode of the show each week for 12 consecutive weeks also a number of times.
Old 02-04-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A) As entertaining as the show is, I don't even thing it's "arguably" the best new show of the season. Maybe 4th or 5th.

B) I saw at least 10, maybe more, promos from the time between the pregame show until the end of Malcolm. They showed that annoying "8 high school kids in a computer lab voted The West Wing the second best drama on television ... because they voted 24 the best show of all" that they've been showing for 2 weeks and then a bunch of spoiler clips from upcoming episodes (like was said, playing the idea not to worry what you missed but what you're going to miss).

C) FOX used every opportunity to promote their own shows. I saw countless ads for Ally, Boston Public, Malcolm, 24, and Dark Angel and 2 or 3 ads for new shows like Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Greg the Bunny. I think they did their job.

das
Old 02-04-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

C) FOX used every opportunity to promote their own shows. I saw countless ads for Ally, Boston Public, Malcolm, 24, and Dark Angel and 2 or 3 ads for new shows like Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Greg the Bunny. I think they did their job.
Too bad no one will watch, in fear that Fox could cancell the shows as soon as they catch on.
Old 02-04-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember seeing one ad for 24, I don't remember when tho. I was on the computer the whole time working on a project and my ears were really only tuned in for touchdowns and Pepsi ads.
Old 02-04-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mmconhea
Too bad no one will watch, in fear that Fox could cancell the shows as soon as they catch on.
It's seems today ... that all we see ... is lame and tired sitcoms and crap on NBC.

But what about real legitimate great shows ... that FOX just seems to deny?

Why'd they cancel Family Guy!?! I'm another fan who ... doesn't understand who ... wants to make the viewers ... run and cry.

Bring back Family Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy

das

(Must ... have ... coffee)
Old 02-04-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Well, das, don't forget the biggest bomb they dropped... they also ran a large X-Files promo too. They said something like "March 3 starts the beginning of the end - 12 consecutive episodes that will start answering everyone's questions..." and they included a clip with Doggett and Scully and a piece of that spaceship Scully found a few seasons back (a subject which never came up again).

I know they are unlikely to be decent, but this particular promo had me all jazzed up. Could the TEN THIRTEEN productions folks get their ***** together and pull off a hugely decent series finale? I hope so. This show deserves to go out better than it has been written, directed, etc. for the past season and a half.

BTW - Don't forget the countless That 70's Show ads with Luke Wilson in them. Those Boston Public and Ally promos were SHAMELESS. Ugh.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-04-02 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-04-02, 10:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like how they're promoting the "school shooting" episode of Boston Public like it's a big deal. Last season on that show, it seemed like there was a school shooting in every other episode.
Old 02-04-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I like how they're promoting the "school shooting" episode of Boston Public like it's a big deal. Last season on that show, it seemed like there was a school shooting in every other episode.
Variation on a theme, I guess - this is not a shooting thing. I think this episode on tonight which they were promoting involves a sort of Columbine-like threat that manifests itself via a bomb planted in the school's basement.
Old 02-04-02, 11:33 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw a couple of 24 ads - the one that sticks out is the one where Keifer threatens the guy holding his wife and daughter.

My reaction to the 'Ally ads':
That girl is the 'Key' and now Ally and Jon Bon Jovi will have to fight Glory.
Old 02-04-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrN
My reaction to the 'Ally ads':
That girl is the 'Key' and now Ally and Jon Bon Jovi will have to fight Glory.

das
Old 02-04-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know ... I just wanted to sing.

das
Old 02-04-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A lot of you guys are saying it was on during the pre-game, correct? I guess that's why I missed the promo's, because I didn't watch too much pre-game.

But, I honestly don't recall more than one promo (after the game winning FG) for the show. I could definitely be wrong, though.
Old 02-05-02, 10:50 PM
Suspended

I Like 24 alot but let's see, Fox Schedules it against both Smallville and NypD Blue and they wonder why the ratings are meager, come onFox look at the logjam at 9pm. I have to balance a Tivo and 2 vcr's just to get all three.
Old 02-05-02, 11:05 PM

I'm pretty sure Smallville and NYPD Blue aren't the reason for 24s poor ratings. Scrubs might be a bigger reason, plus the fact that people don't want to watch a TV show with these themes so soon after 9-11