Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Tick questions...I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tick questions...I need your help!

I was just wondering if the final Tick episode has aired on FOX? I know the show got the axe, but is it over yet?
Where can I find episode names for the various episodes? Thanx for all your help?
Old 01-28-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It aired Thurs I enjoyed it down to the last drop.
Such a shame Warburton was just perfecting his take on the TICK.
The last 3 episodes were very funny IMO and much better writing wise than the first few. I don't know if there were titles for each episode I don't remember seeing them \
Hope you TIVO or VCR d this puppy cause its dust in the wind.
I think 9 episodes total aired. Sci fi, FX, Com Central will probably reair them somewhere down the road.
Old 04-05-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Tick questions...I need your help!

The complete series is available for streaming from Netflix now. I caught one episode originally and was terribly disappointed at the time. I decided to give it another go and watch the whole thing this time, so last night I watched the first three episodes. I think I finally hit on why the live action show didn't work for me the way the animated version did:

There's much less innocence in the live action. In the pilot episode, The Tick tells a coffee vending machine that he's just made it his bitch; in another episode, Liberty kills The Immortal with sex. What made The Tick so entertaining to me in the animated series is that he was so clueless, yet pure of heart, surrounded by people who had a clue, and were mostly pure of heart. The live action version seems to have tried to hard to distance itself from its animated predecessor. I've got six more episodes to go, though, so I'm reserving final judgment till then.
Old 04-06-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I thought the comic book was much darker than the cartoon, but I never read it. Personally, I loved the cartoon. The Tick's innocence was one of the better aspects of the show. Spoooon!
Old 04-06-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Ben Edlund himself said that in the live-action series he was making something closer to the tone of the comic book, so it was more or less going back to its roots. I loved the live-action series, and wish it would have lasted longer than it did. I bought the DVD set the very day it came out.
Old 04-06-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huge fan of the cartoon and I enjoyed the live action too but I've never been able to get in to the comic. Just don't find it to be that funny.
Old 04-06-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original Edlund run of the comic was only about 12 issues. There were many other comics published after he left where the tone is somewhat different. I loved the Live Action show and the cartoon.