Yeah! NBC Loses the NBA!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Yeah! NBC Loses the NBA!

As I just read here:
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0122/1315389.html
the NBA is moving to ABC and ESPN. I don't know how good a show they will put together, but it HAS to be better than the terrible job NBC has been doing the past 2 years. It's just painful.
Amad Rashad is a total joke. Kevin Johnson provides useful no insight. Pat Croce is in WAY over his head and is obviously just picking up a paycheck. Bill Walton is far too easy a target to even make fun of. And Peter Vescey -- if you don't hate that guy, you're just not watching enough.
I'm glad Hannah Storm is back this year. She's good, as is Jayson Williams. I hope he moves to ABC when they switch. But NBC has really blown it with their coverage. First, losing the service of Bob Costas was bad enough, but then to get outbid on Barkley by TNT? They're so clueless, they totally deserve this.
I wonder if they'll bet Al Michaels to cover some of the games? What do you NBA fans think of this news?
Old 01-22-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no more "NBA on NBC" I liked that tag-line.
Old 01-22-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No more Roundball Magic from John Tesh.
Old 01-22-02, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Eternia
I never thought of that; I sorta like that little number.

One other thing that I forgot to mention: The All-Star game will be on TNT. How wierd is that? If you don't have cable or a dish, you won't see the NBA All Star game. That seems very wrong.
Old 01-22-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eternia
i'll be glad to see that go. i don't mind amad rashad that much, bill walton is quite possibly the most annoying commentator i've ever heard, so it'll be nice to not have to listen to his lame insights anymore.
Old 01-23-02, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by monkeyboy

i'll be glad to see that go. i don't mind amad rashad that much, bill walton is quite possibly the most annoying commentator i've ever heard, so it'll be nice to not have to listen to his lame insights anymore.
I heard some one on the Jim Rome show point out that Ahmad never asks a question. I didn't know what he ment by that, but it turns out he's right. Watch sometimes after a game. Ahmad will say something like "You were really shooting well tonight." and then thrust the mic at the player like he asked a question. It's really hilarious once you start to notice it.

If NBC Sports president Dick Ebersol isn't fired soon there is no justice in this world. In the past 4-5 years they have lost Baseball, lost the NFL and lost the NBA. They now have none of the four major sports. They don't have the final four or the major bowl games. They HAVE picked up : half the NASCAR season and the XFL -- Congrats, guys!
Obviously they spent way too much on the Olympics and it's crippled the sports dept for a telecast that last 2 weeks every 4 years and is severely losing its importance as the years go by. Stupid, stupid, stupid. What pisses me off the most is that they totally waste the talent of the best broadcatser in sports - Bob Costas.
Old 01-23-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Peter Vescey, while annoying, is the best NBA reporter in the game. No one gets the scoop like he does. All these other jokers like Rashad sit in a booth and pick their noses while Vescey goes on location and finds out what's going on behind the scenes. The guy's opinionated as hell (hey, it's sports ... I don't really mind), but he's quite good.

And I love Jayson Williams.

All I have to say is if Brent Hamburglar starts doing NBA games, then someone's going to put a bullet between Mickey's eyes.

Oh, and Bob Costas, while mocked and frequently the butt of jokes, is the best broadcaster in sports.

das
Old 01-23-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heartily concur with the Costas comments what the heck happened to his HBO show by the way?
The NBA on NBC was getting old, from the horrible theme to the pale graphics. I am ready for something new in televised BB and ESPN will surely do a better job than NBC has.
Old 01-23-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Apocrypha
I heartily concur with the Costas comments what the heck happened to his HBO show by the way?
The NBA on NBC was getting old, from the horrible theme to the pale graphics. I am ready for something new in televised BB and ESPN will surely do a better job than NBC has.
I really miss Costas' show. It was great stuff. I will never forget his interview with Vinnie Mac about the XFL.

das
Old 01-23-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Apocrypha
Not supposed to be back until after the Olympics -- late Spring into Summer. Good show.

I agree with Costas comments as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship to Fox at some point since they have baseball.