Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

X-Files to finally end after Season 9!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 03:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Files to finally end after Season 9!

Thank you, Chris Carter, for dragging out my once favorite show and beating it to death. Now please make more damn X-Files movies WITHOUT Doggett or Reyes!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1272655

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2002...iles_dc_1.html

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...5&obj_id=32323

edited to add more confirming links

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 01-17-02 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-17-02, 04:19 AM
Banned

I am also glad to see that the X-Files is ending this May but I seem to be in the minority about Dogget and Reyes. I like them as actors and performers in this show and think they work well together. It's just the stories were not that great this season. (Although the one with two Doggets and the killer going through a portal into an alternate reality was one of the finest examples of any of the show's seasons). They might've been better serverd if a completely different show was created for them, maybe even a spin-off of the X-Files. But the X-Files as Chris Carter created it should've ended with last season's finale. Also, does anyone else fine Annabeth Gish incredibly sexy? It's too bad for her that this show is going under.
Old 01-17-02, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mexico one where dogget loses his memory was simply terrible.

My suggestion that should have happened, of course end it last season when mulder left for good, but more importantly... they should have stook with the MONSTER episodes.

the alien thing was neat. but they did to much with it and it got over blown. the monster episodes have and will always be my favorite episodes of the x-files.
Old 01-17-02, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only bought season 1.

I liked seasons 2 and 3 as well, but they weren't self contained. Season 1 was... and it was good.. so I bought it.
Old 01-17-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The X Files ended last season. The current incarnation of the show is a bad spin-off.
Old 01-17-02, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sort of relieved to hear this news now, rather than watch it limp into May, and then find out in the summer that it wouldn't return. Perhaps the ratings will get a nice push and the X-Files goes out on a high note which will spill into the next X-Files film.
Old 01-17-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope they tie up most of the plots. I've watched for 9 years to hopefully get answers to many mythology questions. What are the aliens' current plans? What's the deal with Scully's baby? Who are these super soldiers and why were they really created? What role is Kersh playing in all this? What exactly is Jeremiah Smith's role in all of this?

I'm tired of lame answers! I HATED the episode when Mulder finally realized his sister was dead and saw her spirit (can't remember the name of the episode).
I think I'm in the minority of X-fans when I say that last year's finale would NOT have been a good way to end the series. I want answers and the finale didn't really offer any (except for the Mulder & Scully relationship questions).
I don't want it all layed out in front of me, I have figured many things out. I just want answers to the things that have hung over the show's head for many seasons. If they don't, it just leads me to believ that the writers themselves didn't know where the hell they were going with the mythology arc.
Old 01-17-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, lets face it, we all saw it coming. As much as they tried the show just didn't have its appeal anymore... I said last year they needed to end the show with the shot of Mulder and Scully kissing... He's at peace, she's at peace, questions have been answered, and they've finally come together. ***THE END***

This season has just seemed like "Archie Bunker's Place"

My concern is, how do they end the show on a more powerful note than season 8 ended on... Especially with mulder gone (i mean jeez, how do you answer the fundamental questions of the show without your main character)
Old 01-17-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the low quality of the season so far, I'm almost relieved.

Here's another confirming article:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/689413.asp?0cm=c31
Old 01-17-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by freudguy
I just hope they tie up most of the plots. I've watched for 9 years to hopefully get answers to many mythology questions. What are the aliens' current plans? What's the deal with Scully's baby? Who are these super soldiers and why were they really created? What role is Kersh playing in all this? What exactly is Jeremiah Smith's role in all of this?

I'm tired of lame answers! I HATED the episode when Mulder finally realized his sister was dead and saw her spirit (can't remember the name of the episode).
I think I'm in the minority of X-fans when I say that last year's finale would NOT have been a good way to end the series. I want answers and the finale didn't really offer any (except for the Mulder & Scully relationship questions).
I don't want it all layed out in front of me, I have figured many things out. I just want answers to the things that have hung over the show's head for many seasons. If they don't, it just leads me to believ that the writers themselves didn't know where the hell they were going with the mythology arc.
Well if they are going to continue to do movies I wouldn't expect any of the "loose ends" to be tied up.
Old 01-17-02, 09:04 AM

Finally!

The show should have ended two years ago. Hopefully, Duchovney will come back for the last one...and the movies.

The only questioned left that I want answered is what happened to the UFO on the beach that Scully discovered back a few seasons? The one with the writings of all the religions on it. A zombie Jamaican disappeared with it, and they dropped the plot!

The X-Files is dead, and finally they stop beating it.
Old 01-17-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank goodness. Cut your losses and get out of there before further ruining the show.

das
Old 01-17-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me this show ended with the Millennium episode
Frank Black's story is tied up somewhat, he is reunited with his daughter.
Scully and Mulder finally kiss(for real) on the cusp of the Millennium.
Closing the book (sadly) on one of the finest shows to ever grace TV. It would also have been a fine way to wrap up the X as well.
Old 01-17-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show ended for me right after the closing credits of the theatrical movie.

From that point on, after the production moved from Vancouver to L.A. to accommodate Duchovny, the quality of the series nose-dived and we got slap-dash "answer" episode after "answer" episode. The lame way they killed off the shadow conspirators. The unbelievably unsatisfying end to the search for Samantha. (She was killed by a child molestor? - oh how very Fox News of you, Mr. Carter.) The pointless wide-screen "Titanic" type episode - with zero plot and much surreal cinematic wanking. The is-he-alive, is-he-dead, is-he-alive again swirl surrounding CSM. All loads of crap.

At least "Millenium" didn't last long enough to become outright embarrassing.

And I disagree about the mythology episodes being weak. Quite frankly, the monster-of-the-week episodes bored the hell out of me. I much preferred getting a tantalizing glimpse at some world-changing alien conspiracy plot. Too bad it was all made up on the fly - with no real internal logic whatsoever.
Old 01-17-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mulder back for the final episode. They practically need to do that in order to set up the next x-files movie.

Maybe the last episode will show Scully waking up and going to the bathroom and seeing someone in the shower. she opens the shower curtain and there stands Mulder, smiling. Her postal worker husband of the past 9 years. She then tells him about all these dreams of them being FBI agents working on supernatural cases.
Old 01-17-02, 10:53 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
from the yahoo article "Both actors, whose mutual off-screen antipathy was well documented..."

what's that all about? i didn't know duchovney and anderson had problems off screen. could anyone give me a quick run-down?

--HN
Old 01-17-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by vaporware
Maybe the last episode will show Scully waking up and going to the bathroom and seeing someone in the shower. she opens the shower curtain and there stands Mulder, smiling. Her postal worker husband of the past 9 years. She then tells him about all these dreams of them being FBI agents working on supernatural cases.
That's not to bad, I kind of like that. Then in the movie we see them taking the kids to soccer practice, renting movies and grocery shopping. It all comes to a big climax when the two of them have to attend the Barmitzvah of Scully's boss's son and Mulder accidentally takes too much muscle relaxant. Wacky laughs ensue!

Her boss will of course be played by Mitch Pillegi.

I'm glad to see the show finally ending. For me it ended about 4-5 years ago.
Old 01-17-02, 11:14 AM

I didn't think the mythology episodes were all weak. The entire show was weak for the most part after the movie. Before that, they were actually working toward something. The monster episodes were just as great in the first 4 or 5 seasons, then it all went downhill.

Duchovney and Anderson definitely didn't hang out in any way outside of work. They did their job and left, mainly becuase they're just different people. This is from Carter, Anderson, and Duke. Other stories will say they fought or yada yada but none of those can be confirmed.
Old 01-17-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
The show ended for me right after the closing credits of the theatrical movie.

From that point on, after the production moved from Vancouver to L.A. to accommodate Duchovny, the quality of the series nose-dived and we got slap-dash "answer" episode after "answer" episode. The lame way they killed off the shadow conspirators. The unbelievably unsatisfying end to the search for Samantha. (She was killed by a child molestor? - oh how very Fox News of you, Mr. Carter.) The pointless wide-screen "Titanic" type episode - with zero plot and much surreal cinematic wanking. The is-he-alive, is-he-dead, is-he-alive again swirl surrounding CSM. All loads of crap.
I absolutely agree with you. Although seasons 6+7 had a few good episodes each, I was amazed at the drop off in quality. The first few episodes of season 6 were especially bad (and, more importantly, had a much different tone than the previous 5 seasons). I always thought that was strange to have a big hit movie that would presumably add to your audience, and then serve them some of the worst episodes ever when the show returns.

Season 8 improved somewhat, with some decent stand-alone episodes. But the whole thing seemed pretty pointless, especially when you could clearly see that the show had no focus any more and they were just grooming new actors to replace the main characters. The show was becoming more "how long can we keep this on the air" and less about the characters and the story.

Season 9 is unbelievably terrible and I actually stopped watching the show for the first time since it began. I'm glad they are pulling the plug.

I wish they could go back in time and make seasons 6+7 stronger and end it there... too bad. It's a great show, but everything post-theatrical film definitely tarnishes my opinion of it in general.
Old 01-17-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: X-Files to finally end after Season 9!

A ha! You have revealed yourself to be Rupert Pupkin from alt.tv.x-files (or at least you are stealing his post)

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Thank you, Chris Carter, for dragging out my once favorite show and beating it to death. Now please make more damn X-Files movies WITHOUT Doggett or Reyes!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1272655

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2002...iles_dc_1.html

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...5&obj_id=32323

edited to add more confirming links
Old 01-17-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
should have ended last season, and made soem movies with mulder and scully (and maybe dogget, he isn't bad so much as he's just not mulder)
Old 01-17-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was happy to hear the news. The show jumped the shark even before Duchovny left.

As much as I like the guy who plays Doggett, I really think it was a mistake to drag out the show long enough to bring in the new agents.

Ugh.
Old 01-17-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show jumped the shark anywhere from the start of season 4 when Mulder drove to Canada with an alien and didn't bother to ask any intelligent questions along the way, to the start of season 6. I would say the end was apparent when the writing quality fell drastically toward the end of season 4, a trend clear in most of season 5 when the acting started to suffer too...the last few standalone eps of season 5 were great, but that was the last sustained gasp IMHO. Season 8 had potential but by then the damage of seasons 6 and 7 had been done, and I don't think Carter knew how to put the genie back in the bottle.
Old 01-17-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by freudguy

The episode is fittingly titled Closure. Its one the best episodes in the entire run of the show. The use of Moby's My Weakness is nothing short of brilliant.
Old 01-17-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Robert
The episode is fittingly titled Closure. Its one the best episodes in the entire run of the show.
Sure, if you had just started watching a couple episodes earlier. I didn't dislike it but it was in no way a fitting end to the Samantha story. It was obviously a quick wrap-up when they didn't know if Duchovny would be back or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.