Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Call w/ Carson Daly

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Call w/ Carson Daly

Ok so I ended up watching all of Conan and decided to check out Caron Daly's new show "Last Call" that comes on now after Conan. Today was suppost to be the premiere episode and even Conan said like 20 times during his show to stay tuned for Carson's new show. So what comes on after Conan? That stupid "Later" thing that airs that SCTV junk like always. Anyone know what happened? NBC was even airing a ton of commercials promoting the show and their website said it should be on. Guess that sucks for him, his fans, whoever wanted to watch.
Old 01-08-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm getting sctv too or whatever it was called, there was some old dubbed war movie, i was going to check out carson's show, but it isn't on
Old 01-08-02, 04:44 AM

Wow, cancelled already after 0 episodes. Is that a new record? Why do they show those SCTV reruns anyway? That show has a good cast but it's just horrible. I've seen better comedy on those abflex infomercials.
Old 01-08-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Carson Daily is ugly as hell, his face is all distorted. I have no clue why all the teenyboppers like him.
Old 01-08-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wormwood
Carson Daily is ugly as hell, his face is all distorted. I have no clue why all the teenyboppers like him.
Maybe why he is on a show at 1:35 am?? hehehe (yeah yeah I know he is still on the TRL thing during the day).

People have different tastes I guess.
Old 01-08-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was up at this time, and i looked for it. Not there in my area. SCTV. Then an infomercial, then at 4:00 was a repeat of Jay. ....I wonder if it was a nationwide occurence. Maybe people in central time got to see it?? I'm in EST...
Old 01-08-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im in central time zone and i got sctv
Old 01-08-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone get it in Pacific time zone? I am also EST and did not get it.

Or, did anyone with WNBC or what is it KNBC the NYC and LA ones get it?

I have them at home but I am in my dorm right now.
Old 01-08-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was harsh, but Damn funny!

Matt
Old 01-08-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was just watching e! and one of the news bits at the bottom of the screen on the news bar was that nbc and carson daly were at a standstill for some reason and they show might never come on, after seeing this on tv i went to www.eonline.com and found this:

CUT OFF? Viewers confused Monday night when NBC's new late-night talk show Last Call with Carson Daly did not premiere as scheduled. NBC did not immediately have a comment on why it was pulled, and the network could not yet confirm if the new series will air tonight.
Old 01-08-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oooo I wonder what happened. I think I will set a tape tonight. I refuse to stay up again and it not be on heh. Tonight's guest according to the website is going to be GWYNETH PALTROW. I guess he only has one guest per night, that seems a bit boring.
Old 01-08-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Hi, I'm Carson Daly and I'm a complete tool."
Old 01-08-02, 02:01 PM

I just saw the blurb on E! too........

Anybody else find this odd that they axed the show at the eleventh hour??

I mean i saw a commercial for it DURING Leno! They must have stuck in the SCTV tape right in time....

Wonder what the problem is...?
Old 01-08-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Last Call for Carson Daly

finally.
Old 01-08-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Always thought the guy was an a**, far less talented and charismatic than he thinks he is. Its weird how may shows/deals he has had that fell though. He was supposed to be an Entertainment Tonight anchor/reporter and that bombed, he was suppoosed to have his own MTV show that also failed to materialize, and now this. Boy, this guy is going to be seriously unemployed when he starts to wrinkle.

Oh, and for the record, Conan has always professed his love for SCTV, so he may have had something to do with it being chosen as the thing NBC airs after his show. I've always hated it, but different strokes...
Old 01-08-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I just saw the blurb on E! too........

Anybody else find this odd that they axed the show at the eleventh hour??

I mean i saw a commercial for it DURING Leno! They must have stuck in the SCTV tape right in time....

Wonder what the problem is...?
I find it every weird. They were airing the commercials during Leno, yes. I can't remember if they did during Conan, but Conan kept saying "Watch Carson next!". Perhaps Conan will joke tonight about NBC making him say that and then they dont even air the thing.

Maybe there is a conflict between his MTV contract and NBC contract or something. Although i don't see why it was caught at like 1am in the morning.

Last edited by Eternia; 01-08-02 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-08-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dispute Halts Carson's "Last Call"
by Mark Armstrong
Jan 8, 2002, 12:00 PM PT

All those teeny-boppers stayed up past their bedtime...for SCTV reruns?!?

Yes, that collective snap you heard Monday night was the sound of little hearts breaking: NBC's late-late-night debut of MTV dreamboat Carson Daly was abruptly postponed, as viewers who tuned in at 1:35 a.m. to watch Last Call with Carson Daly instead found themselves watching an old rerun of SCTV.

Sure, the Total Request Live host may have hair that resembles Ed Grimley, but the unannounced move left many viewers scratching their heads.

The reason for Daly's disappearance? NBC and the veejay were apparently still locked in a contract dispute.

"We were unable to close the deal with Carson Daly for the new late night show, Last Call With Carson Daly," the network said in a statement Tuesday. "At this time, we're working toward a resolution and we're hopeful that we can move forward with the show. An update will be issued as soon as more information is available."

Daly was equally vague in his own statement, saying he and NBC "are working toward resolving contractual issues" and that a "mutually acceptable resolution is expected." But his publicist said the problem was being resolved and "it looks like the show is going to air tonight."

No word on exactly where NBC and Daly hit the snag. Daly--who has a non-exclusive contract with MTV allowing him to take on other outside projects--initially agreed to a three-year development deal with NBC last August. Since then, NBC has been in heavy hype mode for Last Call, a half-hour show described as a laid-back mix of musical performances and in-depth interviews with big names in pop culture and politics. Future guests included Gwyneth Paltrow, Death Row rap mogul Suge Knight and Daily Show anchorman Jon Stewart.

The premiere episode, featuring R&B sensation Alicia Keys, was taped Monday, as was the upcoming episode with Paltrow.

The series, slated to be a replacement for NBC's old late-night chat show Later, marked the 28-year-old veejay's first foray into network TV. Daly went to NBC after a development deal with MTV's Viacom corporate sister, CBS, fell through because he failed to come up with a show the network liked, according to Time magazine. He also once had a deal with ABC, but the prime-time variety show they had in mind was too close to his MTV Total Request Live format.

Daly started his career in radio, eventually deejaying for L.A.'s alt-rock mammoth KROQ before moving to MTV and the world of boy bands and celebrity girlfriends (such as Jennifer Love Hewitt and ex-fiancée Tara Reid). Daly had high expectations for Last Call, which he hoped would break some ground in late-night TV.

"I look at it as a testing ground for the future of late night," he told Time. "The old format is pretty passe."

Daly also said he wanted to move past the world of Britney and 'N Sync. "I've been dying to talk to [White House spokesman] Ari Fleisher," he added. "It would be cool for a younger audience to appreciate him. That guy's like a rock star. He handles a room."

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9344,00.html
Old 01-08-02, 04:00 PM

Wow, he hasn't even had one second of his own late night show, and he's dismissing decades of succesful formatting as "passe"

Ballsy. Stupid, but Ballsy.

I'm sure he'll revolutionize the way we all look at late night television, in his little 3am time slot. Right before the 5am AG report.
Old 01-08-02, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eternia
Oooo I wonder what happened. I think I will set a tape tonight. I refuse to stay up again and it not be on heh. Tonight's guest according to the website is going to be GWYNETH PALTROW. I guess he only has one guest per night, that seems a bit boring.
If I recall correctly, when Tom Snyder was on after Conan, he only had one guest a night also. Maybe it is the same type of deal.
Old 01-08-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Applejack

If I recall correctly, when Tom Snyder was on after Conan, he only had one guest a night also. Maybe it is the same type of deal.
Yes I just found out Daly's show will only be a half an hour instead of an hour. Now I understand the only 1 guest.
Old 01-08-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They just ran promos for Leno / Conan / Carson on NBC right now.

They said something like "and after Conan the premiere of Last call with Carson daly - really! with alicia keys" so they are airing the one they were suppose to air last night.

Or are they only playing with our minds? Oh well Im not staying up to watch it.
Old 01-08-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I liked Carson way back when he hosted MTV Live, I really liked that show. But once it turned into TRL then that's when I stopped watching.
Old 01-08-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I liked Carson way back when he hosted MTV Live, I really liked that show. But once it turned into TRL then that's when I stopped watching.
I know. I mean ok, maybe I could tolerate the little scrolling messages and the one screaming person requesting the video. Now they shrink the video and roll facts about the band and stuff. That sucks!
Old 01-09-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so the Alicia Keys episode aired on late Tuesday instead of the day before.

I liked it. Mainly because of the format. Instead of her performing a song she sat at the piano and talked and freestyled and did all kinds of stuff.

Interesting show so far.

Tonight: Wed - Gwyneth Paltrow
Tomorrow: Thurs - Suge Knight
Old 01-09-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was ok also, not enough for me to stay up to watch it after Conan though unless he has a guest I reallu enjoy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.