Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Domino show on ABC

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Domino show on ABC

Tonight, ABC dedicated an entire hour of prime time programming to a show about a team of people going for the World Domino Toppling Over Record. Some of the displays were very impressive, and took weeks to set-up. At one point, the team spotted a piece of paper on top of a row of dominos and actually evacuated the building so they could safely remove it.

There were about a dozen set-ups, each one supposed to go off in turn. They also had a row of bricks acting as dominos as sort of a segue between set-ups. Unfortunately, they didn't calculate the impact of the bricks toppling over, and the shudder caused several set-ups to malfunction and go off in error. Kind of fun watching the team crying in the stands as their sections bombed.

In short, I watched the show for an hour and feel like I wasted my time. I can't imagine wasting weeks and weeks of my life setting up the little buggers.
Old 12-29-01, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i saw that. i thought it was mildly interesting but i kept wondering how much they got paid to do this kind of work. and that head domino guy reminded me of john turturro for some reason.
Old 12-29-01, 09:30 AM

This was the most unintentionally funny show I've ever seen. When the show started, I said, "What kind of loser would get so excited about dominoes?" No sooner had I said that, they show Tina (the one who was really good at it), and it turns out she lives 20 miles from my hometown. Well, now I know.

I know these people take it really seriously, BUT THEY'RE JUST DOMINOES!!! I was laughing so hard when that one guy got kicked out and was crying. Then they were all talking about how they were representing America. Yeah, I'll just kill myself if the Europeans don't respect us IN DOMINOES! And that one guy who was most proud about "representing America" was in the military! Yeah buddy, don't worry about defending our country from war, terrorism, or oppression; your mastery of little pieces of plastic is more than enough to make us proud.

At the end of the show, when they broke the world record, I think millions of people across the country collectively shrugged their shoulders and went, "Mehhh..."

Brace yourself for Domino Day 2002!
Old 12-29-01, 12:48 PM

DAMN! I was sure this thread was going to be about pizza!
Old 12-29-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The expression on their faces when one of the setup would go off accidentally or malfunction was truly priceless...I realize it's not nice to laugh, but it was just so funny!