Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV Customers ... Check Those Locals

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DirecTV Customers ... Check Those Locals

Well, it came through about 30mins later than expected, but the new locals are here (as of 6:30am), at least in the Atlanta area. I gained 5 channels, including the long-awaited UPN and WB. Now I can watch Sabrina, The Animated Series every afternoon! [/sarcasm] Anyway, this is a big day, a nice Christmas present. Hope DirecTV was a generous in your market as it was in mine.

das
Old 12-27-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does UPN look on your satellite feed?
Old 12-27-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by palebluedot
How does UPN look on your satellite feed?
It's difficult to tell. All the afternoon programming here is recycled syndicated shows, and oftentimes the colors are a little muted on those, but the commercials look pretty good. It's not as good as some of my other feeds, but then our UPN affiliate has sucked on every cable service I've had. It's better than nothing though. Finally I can watch UPN and WB without stealing cable or downloading shows from abm.

das
Old 12-27-01, 05:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Can't wait to get home, and see the new channels.. be home in an hour or so. Need to see if my season passes need resetting on this new NBC channel 11 or 3 or whatever they call it here in the bay area...
Old 12-27-01, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

It's difficult to tell. All the afternoon programming here is recycled syndicated shows, and oftentimes the colors are a little muted on those, but the commercials look pretty good. It's not as good as some of my other feeds, but then our UPN affiliate has sucked on every cable service I've had. It's better than nothing though. Finally I can watch UPN and WB without stealing cable or downloading shows from abm.

das
Well you are right it's definitely better than nothing. I'm sure it's no worse than my "digital" cable feed.
Old 12-27-01, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by palebluedot
Well you are right it's definitely better than nothing. I'm sure it's no worse than my "digital" cable feed.
Is your feed pretty bad? When I lived in the city and couldn't get sat, I had BellSouth's digital cable service, and it was pretty good all around, but UPN was always one of the worst channels. And my friends with Dish are always complaining that UPN doesn't look good with their service either. I checked again, and it's a basketball game for the next 3 hours, so again, it's hard to check, but it looks much better than the bootleg feed I had a few months ago.

das
Old 12-27-01, 07:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Jeez, there are tons of new channels, no idea what half of them are, I think we got an additional 11 here in SF.

some of them have severe ghosting on them, but it's early days yet...

Some of them are pretty damn good, all I really care about is making sure the new nbc is okay, and it is.
Old 12-27-01, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Is your feed pretty bad? When I lived in the city and couldn't get sat, I had BellSouth's digital cable service, and it was pretty good all around, but UPN was always one of the worst channels. And my friends with Dish are always complaining that UPN doesn't look good with their service either. I checked again, and it's a basketball game for the next 3 hours, so again, it's hard to check, but it looks much better than the bootleg feed I had a few months ago.

das
I am dissapointed with digital cable in general. The only truly digital channels are the premium channels. All the network feeds are still analog. That coupled with old wiring in my place the feed is just not that great. I have a dish but I can't use it because of tress
Old 12-28-01, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weird. I have the Dish, not DirectTV, but I got about 11 new stations today, too. The major networks plus wb, I didn't really check the others - been busy doing the holiday thing. But the weird thing is that they are the same stations I pay for (superstations package plus locals package) just different numbers on the dial. And the reception on them isn't as good - some ghosting - whereas the exact same broadcast station on a different number gets fine reception. Wonder if this has something to do with the new must carry laws? Anyone know?

P.S. upn appears washed out on both feeds I get, but it appears the same on my mom's regular cable, so I figure it's the affiliate, not the satellite company, that's to blame.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 12-28-01 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-28-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Argh! My local channels disappeared!!!
Old 12-28-01, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are your new channels? As far as I can tell I only get 3 new ones. I now have wb,upn and ind.(independant channel). Thats it.
Old 12-28-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
Argh! My local channels disappeared!!!
make sure they just aren't on another channel, many of the locals changed channels...also, if they still aren't on, try to reset the syste, (turn off and unplug for 30 seconds)...keep in mind though, if the receivers aren't really located at your service address, this is probably the reason they are no longer on...