Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ally McBeal: Whatever happened to ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ally McBeal: Whatever happened to ....

I guess i muss have watched only with one eye last season ... but i wonder what happened to some characters ??

and no, i do know that
Spoiler:
Larry is in Detroit

but what happened to that nice black guy lawyer ? where did he go .. and Ally's roommate ? did they leave together ?

just wondering ..

P
Old 12-14-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In real life, Taye Diggs was bored with the show and not happy that his character had nothing to do. So he left.

In real life, Ally's roommate (forget her real name, she was also on ER) had a bit of a mental episode. I think she is bipolar and is going through a bad spell right now.

On the show, they gave no explanation as to why they are gone. They just started the season without them.
Old 12-14-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ally McBeal: Whatever happened to ....

Originally posted by caipirina
I guess i muss have watched only with one eye last season ... but i wonder what happened to some characters ??

and no, i do know that
Spoiler:
Larry is in Detroit

but what happened to that nice black guy lawyer ? where did he go .. and Ally's roommate ? did they leave together ?

just wondering ..

P
By the way:

Spoiler:
Billy died.

Old 12-14-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Ally McBeal: Whatever happened to ....

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

By the way:

Spoiler:
Billy died.

Thats was the saddest episode
Old 12-14-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ally's story line with Billy and Georgia is what held that show up for me....(that and Ling )

When they were gone, it all went downhill.

I didn't even think RD Jr. brought the show "back".
Old 12-14-01, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok .. i don't even know billy (i think) ... i started to watch on a regular basis when they introduced RDjr .. kinda liked him

great to hear that there was no explanation given .. means that I am not starting to lose it just yet ..

P
Old 12-15-01, 01:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I cant even remember when I stopped watching it. RDJr does nothing for me in terms of wanting to watch the show.
Old 12-15-01, 01:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Let's not forget that James Legros disappeared this season with no explanation. Anyone know where he went? He played Mark.
Old 12-17-01, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe what happened with Ally's roommate Renee at last explanation was this:

Whipper stepped down as judge, Georgia left the firm and Renee left the D.A.'s office so the three of them could start their own firm. Once that storyline wrapped up and they had set up shop, all three characters disappeared.

With all the keveching about how awful the X-Files has become, I'm surprised there isn't more griping about this show!

I saw a 1st season episode last week, and the show has COMPLETELY changed! What happened to Ally narrating each one and those great, kooky imaginary things that she kept seeing happening (being in a huge frothy cappucino with Billy, being shot multiple times with arrows when she found out he was married, etc.). Not only that, but poor Elaine has been resigned to the tiniest of roles in the show save her occassionally singing stints.

If FOX wants to ax something, this show is way ripe for it!
Old 12-17-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
With all the keveching about how awful the X-Files has become, I'm surprised there isn't more griping about this show
I agree, this season has been awful so far. The writing is bad/lazy and they are focusing WAY too much on the new characters (who I find to be completely uninteresting).

The ratings reflect this quality drop on both shows, actually. Both X-Files and Ally have plummeted in the ratings this season. Time to pull the plug on both of them, in my opinion.
Old 12-17-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Ally McBeal: Whatever happened to ....

Originally posted by Kumar J

Thats was the saddest episode
Yeah, that was pretty sad.

Old 12-17-01, 12:54 PM

Even David Kelley, Ally's creator, has admitted publicly that the show has been "off-course" so far this season. That is putting it mildly. The show stinks this season- it is unwatchable.
Old 12-17-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The show sucks this year because of all the new characters...they aren't nearly as good as some of the older characters.

I don't particularly like Robert Downey Jr., but his character was good for the show. He added some new vitality to Ally's life.

I'm sad to see Ling go. I really liked her character.

I don't keep up with ratings, but I know that my own interest in the show has waned since the beginning of the season (although I still tune into every episode).

Old 12-17-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Evidentally the production team isn't crazy about the new folks either -- neither Julianne Nicholson or James Marsden's contracts were renewed past a half-season... The revolving door just continues with Jon Bon Jovi and "Dame Edna"...

Personally, I gave up on the show 2 years ago... RDjr had me watching again briefly, but I'm gone for good now, no matter what stunt casting they try... It never seems to occur to these folks that a compelling story is what matters...
Old 12-17-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by adamblast

Personally, I gave up on the show 2 years ago... RDjr had me watching again briefly, but I'm gone for good now, no matter what stunt casting they try...
What if they bring Billy back from the dead?

Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to Bon Jovi....he's a pretty decent actor....while they're at it, they should bring in Richie Sambora, too.....and then bring in Heather Locklear.

Old 12-17-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

What if they bring Billy back from the dead?
Isn't Billy on "The Agency"?

I was kinda suprised that two out of the four new people aren't coming back. The guy from "X-Men" and his gf are outta here. Kinda sad, they looked so attractive as a couple. Boring, though.
Old 12-17-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by adamblast
The revolving door just continues with Jon Bon Jovi and "Dame Edna"...
Dame Edna is coming back? As an actual cast member?!?

That's it, I can't watch this... I barely made it through the 2 episodes she was in a few weeks ago.
Old 12-18-01, 03:32 AM

Anyone know what happened to the super hot Alexandra Holden?Last season it was set up so she would come to Boston to work for the firm as an assistant while doing local theater.
Old 12-18-01, 08:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I watched last night's rerun from last season. First time I had seen an episode with Robert Downey Jr. I wish he could stay clean. Sad to hear that Cyclops won't be on anymore, although the romanace angle they were taking with him and Ally just wasn't believable. She's nearly 10 years older than him.
Old 12-18-01, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AndyCapps
although the romanace angle they were taking with him and Ally just wasn't believable. She's nearly 10 years older than him.
I definitely think the "romance" was forced and I'm not sad to see it end, but...

Dating someone who is 10 years older is not that unbelievable. It happens all the time and is rarely an issue. In fact, when it *is* and issue, it is usually because one of the people is still in their teens (say, like, 19) and the other parter would be 29 and have very different life experiences. A 30 year-old dating a 40 year-old isn't a particularly big deal, either on a TV show or in real life.

BUT (and I have been thinking about this during the season as my mind wanders):

Where are you getting that there is 10 years between them? They gave his age as 28 in one episode. I think Ally is supposed to be 32, right? (She's definitely not supposed to be 38!) The "issue" with the ages seems forced from a writing standpoint. With only 3 or 4 years difference between them and having so much in common (both live in the city, both are lawyers, both -- presumably -- attending law school and have a similar circle of friends), I don't see the problem.

Again, just another sign of weak script writing.

Edited to add: I just realized that you were probably saying that there is almost 10 years between the ACTORS in real life (which is true). Still, I don't think that it comes across poorly on screen (Ally doesn't look "old" next to Cyclops). And, my point is still that the writers of the show have a character that is a mere 4 years older than the other -- yet they are trying to make age a major "issue" with the relationship, which I find both unrealistic and silly.

Last edited by bboisvert; 12-18-01 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-18-01, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just think that kid seems way too young to be a lawyer. Maybe a law student or someone fresh out of law school. I just don't believe him to be a successful lawyer.

I think him & Calista have zero chemistry and his character is so dull.

I'll be glad to see him go.

The other woman (his girlfriend) has some pep to her and I could see her staying, but do we really need another character like Ally?

The cast definitely needs some interesting character actors to join the firm.
Old 12-18-01, 11:14 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by bboisvert

I definitely think the "romance" was forced and I'm not sad to see it end, but...

Dating someone who is 10 years older is not that unbelievable. It happens all the time and is rarely an issue. In fact, when it *is* and issue, it is usually because one of the people is still in their teens (say, like, 19) and the other parter would be 29 and have very different life experiences. A 30 year-old dating a 40 year-old isn't a particularly big deal, either on a TV show or in real life.

BUT (and I have been thinking about this during the season as my mind wanders):

Where are you getting that there is 10 years between them? They gave his age as 28 in one episode. I think Ally is supposed to be 32, right? (She's definitely not supposed to be 38!) The "issue" with the ages seems forced from a writing standpoint. With only 3 or 4 years difference between them and having so much in common (both live in the city, both are lawyers, both -- presumably -- attending law school and have a similar circle of friends), I don't see the problem.

Again, just another sign of weak script writing.

Edited to add: I just realized that you were probably saying that there is almost 10 years between the ACTORS in real life (which is true). Still, I don't think that it comes across poorly on screen (Ally doesn't look "old" next to Cyclops). And, my point is still that the writers of the show have a character that is a mere 4 years older than the other -- yet they are trying to make age a major "issue" with the relationship, which I find both unrealistic and silly.
Oh, I didn't realize that Ally is supposed to be 32 in the show. I was going by real-life ages. When I first saw an episode this season I said to my wife, "She's 10 years older than him." She didn't believe me, so I looked it up. I find it unrealistic because I don't see older women with younger men often. Now I can believe it when there's a 4 year difference, but not 10 unless the woman is rich and famous or lies about her age.
Old 12-18-01, 11:23 AM

I really liked Julianne Nicholson on the short lived show "The Others" on NBC and I like what I see of her so far this season. I really hope they don't get rid of her.

The other new female lawyer is being sorely underused, the only thing remotely interesting I remember her doing was suggesting that John Cage wore a body suit. They should give her something to do so I can at least decide if I like her character or not.

The two guys are just uninteresting and I often need to rely on the context of the scene to tell which one is which. Personally I won't mind if they both left.

That being said I don't think that this season's Ally is anywhere near the tradegy of this season's X-files. It's not quite as good as last season, but on the same level as the episodes from the second season that relied too-heavily on John Cage's frog getting thrown around for comedy.
Old 12-18-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree - most of the awesome characters have taken a second seat. Where is quirky cage? Ling and that blonde chick used to be awesome together - now they don't even show up except for the board meeting in the beginning. I used to watch this show religiously - now I can't even be bothered to flip the channel to watch it.

Old 12-18-01, 06:27 PM

Me 2 Suziq999, used to record the shows on video tapes.But after the episode where Billy dies
I lost interest.They better do something to bring up Ally before it gets canned.It would be a shame to loose this show,its one of a kind.
And AndyCapps, I used to date a 38year old when I was 29.She liked it a lot.Age is nothing but a number for me,and she is not shy anymore.I think Ally should get married

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.