Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Snl - 12/1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snl - 12/1

Ok, technically, it hasn't aired yet, but anybody know why there is two musical guests? (Bubba Sparxxx and Shakira) Derek Jeter is hosting, and I wonder why they booked two musical acts.
Old 11-25-01, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never heard of either one of them, but maybe they've got a duet thing going on?

With Derek Jeter hosting, this may rival Nancy Kerrigan's SNL gig in the OhDearGod category. Sports stars and other non-actors are usually considered the worst of the worst SNL hosts.
Old 11-25-01, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I've never heard of either one of them, but maybe they've got a duet thing going on?
I wondered that myself, but their styles don't really fit. Shakira is fake Latin bubblegum pop, and Bubba Sparxxx is the next great thing in hip-hop. The only corrolation I see is that they've both been on an insane media blitz during the past few months. Perhaps neither was strong enough to do more than one song ... tho, that hasn't stopped so many others.

With Derek Jeter hosting, this may rival Nancy Kerrigan's SNL gig in the OhDearGod category. Sports stars and other non-actors are usually considered the worst of the worst SNL hosts.
Should be interesting. Some of my favorite moments are Charles Barkley beating up Barney in one-on-one, Michael Jordan trying to say "Dawgoneit, people like me" and Martina Navratalova following Chris Evert around the world beating her at everything. Those are just an isolated few, however, from otherwise mediocre or horrible shows.

das
Old 11-25-01, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
sports stars

don't forget Joe Montana: "you won't bother me, I'll be upstairs masturbating"
Old 11-25-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

... Shakira is fake Latin bubblegum pop, ...
Yes, but she's hot and she can really shake her ***! I don't have a problem with it.

Old 11-25-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by apeoples
Yes, but she's hot and she can really shake her ***! I don't have a problem with it.
I certainly was NOT complaining ... just describing her genre. If P Diddy were really a hip hop star instead of a rip-off master, I'd suggest that fake Latin bubblegum pop singers with big booties go well with hip hop artists. But then again, J Lo just got married, and P Diddy's been remodeling jail cells, so Bubba better get his bumps in while he can.

das
Old 11-25-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I certainly was NOT complaining ...
I know you wern't complaining! I was just was looking for an excuse to post some pics!

Old 11-25-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know you wern't complaining! I was just was looking for an excuse to post some pics!
On second thought, I was complaining ... she's not hot, and I dare you to prove otherwise (hint hint ).

das
Old 11-25-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On second thought, I was complaining ... she's not hot, and I dare you to prove otherwise (hint hint ).

das
I'll take that dare!

Old 11-25-01, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll take that dare!
I think we'll skip Double Dare and move straight to the Physical Challenge ... with her.

das
Old 11-25-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shakira is fake Latin bubblegum pop
Well, since this is a hijacked thread (my first!), I'd like to mention that it's just her English stuff that's bubble gum and fake. She's been around the Spanish land for awhile, and recieved a lot of critic's praise for her previous work (5 Spanish language albums, including an Unplugged album). Sadly, it did not translate too well to English.

But you know, different folks, different strokes.
Old 11-26-01, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This photo is telling you "whenever, wherever."

Last edited by big whoppa; 11-26-01 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-26-01, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by freedexter
Well, since this is a hijacked thread (my first!), I'd like to mention that it's just her English stuff that's bubble gum and fake. She's been around the Spanish land for awhile, and recieved a lot of critic's praise for her previous work (5 Spanish language albums, including an Unplugged album). Sadly, it did not translate too well to English.

But you know, different folks, different strokes.
This is most definitely not a hijacked thread, since the post was a question about who these people are and why they're both listed as musical guests. Unfortunately, Bubba ain't got no booty, so we're not talking about him.

And I'll agree with you on your analysis of Shakira. What I've heard of her earlier work is much better than what she's churning out now. I'm so tired of this fake Latin scene that's evolved in recent years. The Latin sound kicks a$$ as does the Spanish sound, but this fake American version is demeaning to the real product. Possibly a flawed analogy, but the local Del Taco* is not Mexican food.

However, as I noted in one of the other threads, sometimes artists have to "sell out" to get people to notice their real work. Where I judge such artists is what happens after they've been noticed. Do they take that attention and return to their roots, or do they trade in their integrity card for an appearance on TRL? In a perfect world, I'd fault people for making stupid songs to get exposure for otherwise quality work, but in an industry dominated by cookie cutters and cloning machines, I guess they don't have much choice.

das

* Note the use of Del Taco for this analogy, as Taco Bell is one of God's finest creations, and it would cloud the analogy to speak of it with a negative connotation.

(Footnotes and their likeness are copyrighted to Wizdar)
Old 11-26-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: sports stars

Originally posted by mikehunt
don't forget Joe Montana: "you won't bother me, I'll be upstairs masturbating"
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
Old 11-27-01, 12:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Shakira's Spanish albums are excellent. I recommend you check them out, das Monkey, they are definitely neither "fake" nor "bubblegum". I'm not even sure that could be put toward her English stuff, albeit not even close to what her Spanish stuff was, they were written by her. They just didn't come out very well.
Old 11-27-01, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Shakira's Spanish albums are excellent. I recommend you check them out, das Monkey, they are definitely neither "fake" nor "bubblegum". I'm not even sure that could be put toward her English stuff, albeit not even close to what her Spanish stuff was, they were written by her. They just didn't come out very well.
Like I said, what I've heard of her earlier music is quite good. I think I'll take a look at some more of it.

das