Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 11/6

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville 11/6

And it continues...the one and only Smallville weekly thread!

From the posts in last weeks thread it sounds like this week will be the make it or break it week for Smallville. Even more so if '24' pans out to be the show everyone says it will be. Personally, I have chosen to tape Smallville and watch 24 this evening. Although, if Smallville remains intriguing and 24 is the next great thing I may just have to splurge for that Tivo sooner than I thought I would.

Ok everyone let's here it...is Smallville a keeper or has started to waver. Once again, I will chime in once I get a chance to see the episode.

Last edited by joe liquor; 11-06-01 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-06-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
watching for the first time, didn't realize what smallville was until after last weeks episode
Wasn't Annette O'Toole in superman3?
and john schieder, cool he found work other than duke's reunions
Old 11-06-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Spoiler:

finally x-ray vision used to look into a girl's locker room

Old 11-06-01, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
Clark Kent gets X-ray vision, and the grin on his face when he was scoping out the girls locker room was priceless.

Anyhow, another take on "Single White Female" with a shape-changer angle. Pretty nifty.

And Kristin Kreuk gets cuter each and every show.
Old 11-06-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the show is improving each week. Started off a bit weaker than I would have liked, but this episode was interesting and I'm REALLY glad to see Clark getting some control over his powers. Also, I really like to see Johnathon and Martha and their positive influence on how Clark views the world (and the type of person he should strive to be). Definitely rates a few more episodes to see if it really hits its stride.
Old 11-06-01, 09:12 PM

Another murder attempt using a car, and another kryptonite introduction during the final fight. Sorry but Lana will need to get naked for me to keep watching this show.
Old 11-06-01, 10:55 PM

My verdict is that I will tenantively stick with it for a few more episodes.

I thought tonight's episode was one of the better ones so far. It was great to see a glimpse of what Lex will become and we finally know what is going to be the beginning of the possible split between him and Clark (the "hiring" of the reporter to investigate Clark). Continuing down the X File-ish road for story lines doesn't bother too much as along as they put a little effort into it. Speaking of which, next week's looks a tad weak from the previews.

This week was the discovery of X ray vision. The good point was at least they were truthful and showed Clark taking advantage of the power with the girl's locker room scene. One of the things that I'm waiting to see with this series is if they can pull off a good show that isn't based on the discovery of a new power. Clark's powers aren't infinite, thus we need to start seeing some writing that is strong w/o hinging on a discovery of a power.

The only other thing I can complain about with tonight's episode was one of the worst (if not the worst) "cat fights" I've ever scene in person or on TV. I know that Tina had super strength, but that scene consisted of: grab Lana's throat and Lana goes down. WTF?

The intoduction of 24 in this time slot is making my Tivo-less life complicated now.
Old 11-07-01, 01:46 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I went with Smallville, and probably try to catch '24' on the rerun this weekend.

As pointed out in an earlier thread, this show seems to be very formulaic and I don't think this one was much different. Looking at the preview for next week, I think we're in for more of the same.

The one thing I did like in this week's episode was that they finally built something to Lana's character. I think the rest of the cast is severly underused.
Old 11-07-01, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by homeslice
Another murder attempt using a car, and another kryptonite introduction during the final fight. Sorry but Lana will need to get naked for me to keep watching this show.
I doubt she thinks you're worth the sacrifice, so looks like you'll be watching "24" instead.
Old 11-07-01, 08:47 AM

I doubt she thinks you're worth the sacrifice
I wouldn't be the sole viewer of that episode.
Old 11-07-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Loved it when Lex got all nasty with that would-be black-mailer and turned the tables on him. Lex is going to be a force to be reckon with.

I gulped when Clark was using his x-ray vision scoping out Lana in the girls locker room.
Old 11-07-01, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Heh. Did I call it or not? I recall mentioning last week something about him discovering X-Ray vision...

There seems to be a few inconsistancies in the plot.
Spoiler:
For one thing, Clark knows that Lana always wears the Kryptonite necklace. So that whole kiss scene seemed a bit off.
Also, if Tina's bones were loaded with Kryptonite, why didn't she effect him the same way?
Old 11-07-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Eric F

There seems to be a few inconsistancies in the plot.
Spoiler:
For one thing, Clark knows that Lana always wears the Kryptonite necklace. So that whole kiss scene seemed a bit off.
Also, if Tina's bones were loaded with Kryptonite, why didn't she effect him the same way?
Spoiler:
I don't think Tina's bones were loaded with Kryptonite. The kryptonite just allowed her to move her bones around. Unless there was something I missed. Besides even if they were, there might be enough material around the kryptonite (bone, skin, clothes) to prevent the radiation from the kryptonite from affecting him. So far in the show, whenever there's kryptonite, Clark has to be within a foot of the stuff before it'll really affect him.

And about the kissing thing, if the girl that you were in love with came up to you and start kissing you, would you complain even if she wasn't wearing the necklace that she usually wears.

but good episode. I think i'll stick around for a few more. more lana lang!!!
Old 11-07-01, 12:29 PM

From what I can tell, Lana does not always wear her necklace. It is as these points that we see her with Clark, like when she's jogging at stops by his house. He is never with her in school, where she is more inclined to wear it. Just an observation.

Spoiler:
Also, I've read rumors than sometime within the next few episodes Clark visits Metropolis, and we get to witness his first heroic act in the city he'll eventually call home. He's not Supes yet, but it's still pretty cool.
Old 11-07-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I taped "24" and watched Smallville instead....the only major gripe I had about last night's episode was when Clark used his x-ray vision to see Tina's mom dead in the antique piece of furniture. Then when he and his friend went inside the store and Clark opened up the furniture to show the dead body, Clark and his friend seemed pretty indifferent. I don't know about you guys, but if I discovered a dead body, I'd be like, "WHOA! WTF!?!?!" Also, depending on how long she had been dead (it was at least a good few hours, wasn't it?), the body should have started smelling...

Other than that, I thought it was okay. It's getting pretty tiresome seeing a new bad guy every week who developed some super powers because of the kryptonite meteor shower, though. I assume that when Lex fully turns to the dark side of the force, though, that we'll see less of these mutant baddies.

Old 11-07-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Other than that, I thought it was okay. It's getting pretty tiresome seeing a new bad guy every week who developed some super powers because of the kryptonite meteor shower, though. I assume that when Lex fully turns to the dark side of the force, though, that we'll see less of these mutant baddies.
Well, we're at what, episode 4 or 5? As MrN and others have noted, this show does seem to be following a fairly stiff formula. Hopefully, the producers are getting feedback and will adjust accordingly. It won't be towards the end of this season that we begin to see that, however.