Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

This Thread's for People Who've Watched Buffy Since the Beginning [SPOILERS]

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This Thread's for People Who've Watched Buffy Since the Beginning [SPOILERS]

Every time I turn around, I'm running into someone who claims to be this HUGE!!!!!! Buffy fan, but after a little discussion I find that they started watching in the 4th season or some crap. And it has me wondering ... are there any real fans out there that have been watching this show since day one?

I think I came in around episode 3 or 4 in the first season and caught the first two episodes that summer before Season 2. It was an OK show in those first episodes, but nothing like what we got in Season 2. So, now I'm watching all these episodes again for the first time since they originally aired, and it's refreshing to recall how incredible they really are.

I think I had gotten so complacent just "knowing" that Buffy was one of the best shows on television that I had somewhat forgotten how I arrived at that decision.

Those of you who've been there from the beginning, care to share some thoughts on what it's like to see these again on FX? (I know some of you tape them, or bootleg them, or have Region 2 DVDs ... I tape them but hadn't really gotten around to rewatching them)

das
Old 11-06-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
So if we haven't watched from the beginning, we can't post in this thread? I came in at the beginning of season three. Quickly realized that this was a great show and bought seasons one and two on Ebay. Have watched EVERY ep at least three or four times. Never get tired of them. It has been nice watching them on TV, and I'm retaping seasons cause some of mine weren't in order, but I miss being able to fast forward through commercials.

X
Old 11-06-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Xander
So if we haven't watched from the beginning, we can't post in this thread? I came in at the beginning of season three. Quickly realized that this was a great show and bought seasons one and two on Ebay. Have watched EVERY ep at least three or four times. Never get tired of them. It has been nice watching them on TV, and I'm retaping seasons cause some of mine weren't in order, but I miss being able to fast forward through commercials.

You can do whatever you like ... I was just curious if there's anyone around from the beginning. It's one thing when you're watching a show that everyone loves and everyone knows kicks ass. It's another thing to be watching the best show on television and have no one believe you. Buffy's "cool" now, but I remember when people looked at me like I was crazy (something that's true but independent of this discussion) for watching this show. It's weird to see these episodes again now that it's incredibly popular.

das
Old 11-06-01, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy Fan since the Beginning

Originally posted by das Monkey
Every time I turn around, I'm running into someone who claims to be this HUGE!!!!!! Buffy fan, but after a little discussion I find that they started watching in the 4th season or some crap. And it has me wondering ... are there any real fans out there that have been watching this show since day one?

Those of you who've been there from the beginning, care to share some thoughts on what it's like to see these again on FX?
I've been around since the very first broadcast of the very first episodes ("Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest"). I turned it on because (a) I'm a horror fan, and (b) I had liked Sarah Michelle Gellar on All My Children. I had not seen the movie and didn't really expect much from the show. I certainly never expected to fall so totally in love with the show.

Since I had taped the episodes to show to a friend, I continued to tape each ep from then on. I also started watching the WGN's broadcast when I got home from work, and would then catch the regularly scheduled broadcast on KTLA later. Not to mention the summer reruns.

As das Monkey said, it was weird in the early days to be so enraptured by a show that most people dismissed sight unseen. Friends & acquaintances would look at me strangely as I entreated them to watch the funniest, wittiest, scariest, most "kick ass" show on TV. I used to hate hearing that the show was targeted to teenage girls -- since I'm a 40+ year old man! And I remember the satisfaction I felt when Buffy started showing up on critics' "Top 10" lists.

Since then, I've turned a number of people on to the glories of Buffy. (Usually all it takes is a showing of those first episodes.) Since I've seen most of the episodes numerous times, and still have them all on tape -- and am eagerly awaiting the DVDs -- I haven't been watching it regularly on FX.

Don't ask me for a favorite episode, but I still like the second season (Angel/Angelus, Spike & Dru) the best, with the third season (Faith & the Mayor) a close second.
Old 11-06-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started watching the show in the first season but I didn't really get into it until the 2nd or 3rd season. I forget which one. I first started watching because I was a fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie and I was interested in how they were gonna do a series based on the movie. I stayed because of Charisma Carpenter and SMG was just a revelation.

I loved the dark, smartass attitude of it. I've always loved those people destined for certain roles type storylines so the show was right up my alley. It's been really interesting to see how the characters evolve from the early seasons until now, especially in the way they dress. I think SMG and Charisma Carpenter showed a lot more skin in the early seasons so that probably helped bring in the male viewing population and maybe the lesbian one too

But all in all, great show. can't wait til the first episodes come out on dvd.
Old 11-06-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll admit I had no plans to watch this show when it first came on. A tv show based on a terrible horror/valley girl/comedy movie that had Luke Perry in it? No way it could be good.

But on the radio I kept hearing commercials for it. Something like: "Tonight on Buffy, don't miss the episode everyone will be talking about... The mysterious stranger, Angel, has been helping Buffy, but she doesn't know who he really is. Tonight she'll find out."

Some promo like that got me curious and I tuned in that night and discovered the shocking secret that Angel [very shocking spoiler]was a vampire!!!!!!!!!![/very shocking spoiler] For a little bit afterwards the show was a guilty pleasure for me, until the middle of season 2 when I stopped feeling guilty and would tell everyone who'd listen about how they should be watching.
Old 11-06-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tscott
I think we're in the same boat. I had seen the movie and hated it as much as could be imagined, so I had no plans of even considering this show. But nothing was on during its timeslot, and it had hot chicks on it, so I caught those first few episodes thinking "Hey she's hot!" then a chuckle and some witty banter then another "woah ... she's hot too!" then some more chuckles. It was entertaining during that first season, but not particularly revolutionary. I had a friend who was watching it who actually liked the movie and was more interested in the show than I was, so I stuck around week after week just to discuss it with him, and somewhere during that second season, they flipped the switch from "Entertaining Drama" to "Best Damn Show on TV".

As for a favorite episode/season, I have to go with second and third seasons as being the best. When Buffy kills Angel ... my God ... my heart just sank. Which reminds me of the 'Angel' crossover where Angel is human ... incredible stuff. The plots that deal with Buffy's pain over Angel were always my favorite, but if I had to pick a favorite episode, 'The Body' would probably win. Nothing will ever top Buffy walking in ... "mom ... mom? ... mommy." It hurts just thinking about it.

das
Old 11-06-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been watching it since the first episode aired. I did skip most of their first year in college though, as I thought the show was getting kind of far out there with the govt. group and I really couldn't stand Riley very much. I've seen a few episodes from that season, but not all.

I'm enjoying the FX reruns, but not as much as I'd thought. I don't want to watch the storyline episodes so much, they get kind of melodramatic, and when you already know how everything is going to work out it gets kind of anti-climactic.
Old 11-06-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've watched every episode since day 1. I also find that many Buffy fans caught on in the 3rd or 4th season. I have all the episodes on cassette and cannot wait to get them on DVD (Region 1).

The reason I watched the first episode is because I loved the movie that came out years before and was interested in what Whedon had planned for Buffy and how close to the movie it would be. Over time, Buffy has gotten better and better, although the cast is getting too big for it's britches in my opinion (Willow, Xander, Giles, Spike, Dawn and Buffy would be enough for me...and Dawn is a bit of a stretch, but her story did breathe new life into last season).

I am very pumped with the musical tonight...I certainly hope Whedon pulls it off, he always does.
Old 11-06-01, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As for my favorite Buffy moment, I'd have to go with the wonderful line uttered by the perplexed Judge in 'Surprise': "What does that do?" What a spectacular climax/anti-climax to an evil villain to which "no weapon forged can kill."

After that, any episode that focused on the Faith story arc in top rate in my book.
Old 11-06-01, 02:12 PM

I was in 9th grade when Buffy first came on the air. I had no plans to watch it, because I've never believed in wasting time on shows or movies simply because they have hot chicks in them (Not that I don't appreciate hot chicks, but there's plenty of good movies and shows that feature skin). My friend Jason kept saying, "Watch Buffy, it's damn good." I kept saying, "Shut up, you just watch it because she's hot," despite his insisting the contrary. After the first season ended, I gave in and watched "Welcome to the Hellmouth" on it's second run, and, surprise surprise, it was awesome. I've made an effort to watch every week since. It's funny how, 6 years ago, I gave dirty looks, 5 years ago, I started getting them, but it's amazing how many people have converted. I have at least 3 friends who used to think I was a loser, but now watch the show regularly, 1 watches weekly, and 1 spends hours every week on the message board at www.buffy.com. It was sad when I went to college last year. In almost a year and a half here I've only met two people who watch the show.

As for a favorite, I'm in the minority, in that I think it's been consistently getting better. Maybe that's just because I haven't seen most of the old episodes since the time they first they aired, and my college doesn't offer cable, so I can't watch the FX reruns. When Buffy killed Adam, I thought that was one of the most entertaining hours of television I'd ever seen, until Buffy killed herself. And, this season is shaping up to be as awesome as ever. The only thing I don't like is that it's getting to complicated for new fans to get into it a lot. Oh well.
Old 11-06-01, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been a huge fan since the start.

I haven't really considered myself a fan for about two years ago... I don't like the show much anymore... it's just changed to much from what I enjoyed. Angel has filled the void though... and Buffy still turns out a great episode every so often.
Old 11-07-01, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started watching when the Halloween episode where Xander, Willow, and Buffy become their Halloween costumes. I think it was the 2nd season or maybe the first. I dunno.

Was an excellent show back in the day, and it's an excellent show now. It's really the only show that repeatedly takes chanes. ("Hush" - The Quiet Show, and "The Body" - another quiet show.) With the musical show, Buffy showcased the wit and style of Joss Whedon and what he has to bring to tv. Hopefully other shows will follow his lead.

Great show, and people still laugh at me that I watch it. Go ahead and watch your "Friends" and "Inside Scwartz", I'll watch my "Buffy".
Old 11-07-01, 03:43 AM

ive been watching the following wb shows since season1 ep 1:
buffy, angel, dawsons creek, roswell, felicity

its funny how a few years back when i mention i watch buffy people would bag on me, now theyre fans... bandwagon fans! who cares what others think.
Old 11-07-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the beginning. I'm a vampire fan. Same as X-files, watched before people knew they were around. If its sci-fi, I give it a chance and if it can be sarcastic at the same time, so much better.
Old 11-07-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, too, have watched Buffy since the very first episode.

I liked the movie when it came out (hey, I was a teenage girl when it came out) , and I wanted to see how they would convert it into a tv show. I had just moved from a place that didn't have the WB, and Buffy was the first commercial I saw for the network, which captivated me. I was also curious as to who this Sarah Michelle Gellar was, and why they didn't get Christie Swanson to play Buffy. As soon as the first show was over, I was soooo glad they chose SMG. I was amazed at the drama, characters, and story line, and I still am to this day. Joss Whedon continues to suck me in week after week to see what the Slayer and the Scooby Gang will have to deal with in each episode.

Over the years I went from someone who just watched the show, to someone who is a huge fan and collects merchandise from the show. I am sure to some people it is a little strange for a 26 year old female to be walking into the WB store and picking up all the Buffy stuff she can find. Let me tell you, when the WB store put their last few remaining Buffy items on clearance, I squealled like a 13 year old 'nsync fan! hee hee hee
Old 11-07-01, 12:56 PM

The first episode I saw was probably the 3rd or 4th and it took a couple more to decide I needed to be taping it so I wouldn't miss any more. By that time, my wife had decided she needed to be taping it so she could watch it a 2nd or 3rd time before the next week's show, so that was convenient.

I don't really have a favorite episode, or even season. It's had its ups and downs, as any show will, but even the "bad" shows have something funny or exciting or dramatic or all of the above that make them entertainining.
Old 11-12-01, 07:06 PM

Been watching since the first episode...

My sister had seen the movie, and convinced me to tape it in case it was good. Needless to say, I haven't missed an episode since then

Taliesin