Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Emmy winner round-up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Emmy winner round-up?

Any surprises from the Emmy's last night?

I've only heard of a few of the winners:

Eric McCormack for Best male lead in comedy (this was a surprise - I thought either Lithow or Grammer had a lock on this category).
Sex and the City for Best comedy series (also a surprise to me, but IMHO I still think it's because they can sprinkle in R-rate stuff in the writing/show.)
The West Wing for Best drama series.
James Gandolfini and Edie Falco for Best male/female leads in a drama series.
Old 11-05-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete list of winners

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...mmys_list.html
Old 11-05-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty happy all around.

I would have had a few changes:

Best Drama Directing to "Buffy: The Body" which wasn't nominated, because ATAS is a bunch of idiots. Then "The West Wing: Two Cathedrals" which astonishingly wasn't nominated either. Of the nominees, I'd have given it to "The Sopranos: Pine Barrens". 'Two Cathedrals' did win Best Editing, so that's fair, I guess.

Lead Actor in a Comedy to Ray Romano. But then again, none of the sit-coms particularly show anything unique to me, so it's a toss-up. I'd like to see Kevin James nominated in this category instead of the tired acts that haven't given us anything fresh in 10 years.

Lead Actress in a Comedy to Sarah Jessica Parker. Personal favorite. This last season was so beautifully written and superbly acted by Parker. I'm fine with Heaton winning, though, as she's wonderful on Raymond.

Lead Actress in a Drama ... I so wanted to see Sela Ward win, but it's impossible to deny Falco. She's the best female lead we've had in decades. It was a little embarassing to see Helgenberger in there with those others.

Guest Actor in a Comedy to Gary Oldman. Sorry ... he was just too darn funny.

Guest Actor in a Drama to Oliver Platt. Personal favorite and excellent performance.

Guest Actress in a Comedy to Bernadette Peters. This is a bias as I am completely in love with Bernadette Peters.

Guest Actress in a Drama ... Anabella Sciorra (sp?) was phenomenal, but it's hard to deny Sally Field who deserved the award just a little bit more.

Performance in a Variety/Music to Will Ferrell. Are these people mental? I'd rather watch his Robert Goullet than Mecha-Streisand.

Variety Series to The Daily Show. I love Letterman, but The Daily Show deserves some recognition. (The writing award was great).

Animated Program to South Park, which pathetically was not nominated. This last season was so freaking hilarious. If not South Park, then The Family Guy, which also wasn't nominated. Of the nominees, King of the Hill.

Visual Effects to Farscape. Again, the idiots at the Academy need to try other channels. Farscape's visual effects blow away anything we've ever seen on television.

Comedy Writing to Sex and the City's "Easy Come, Easy Go."

Drama Writing to West Wing's "Two Cathedrals". Of the nominees, to Sopranos' "Pine Barrens".

Surprises:

Peter MacNicol for Ally. He deserved this so much ... just didn't think he'd get it.

Doris Roberts for Raymond. Again ... I wouldn't have voted for anyone else, but I was surprised she actually won.

Comedy series to Sex and the City. It was so incredible this last season, but it got negative press because it was more insightful than funny. Glad to see people still recognize quality.

Variety Writing to The Daily Show. I think I can see voters' heads emerging from their collective asses as we speak.

I see a lot of nitpicking changes up there in my post, but most of those are minor preferences. Overall, I think they did a good job of selecting. 'The Sopranos' and 'The West Wing' were so vastly superior to anything else last season that it makes it a little unfair. This coming year should provide some much needed competition. And I agree with their assessment that the stars of The Sopranos are the best, and the supporting cast of The West Wing is the best. And while I love The Sopranos, The West Wing was just a little better last season and deserves the Series awawrd.

Unfortunately, they still ignore intelligent genre shows and great non-HBO cable programming . I guess this will never change.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-05-01 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-05-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nowadays, if you get nominated, I think you are a true "winner" of an Emmy. There's just a lot of good actors/actresses working, and it's more of timing that talent that garners them the Emmies.