Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy on FX

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been watching since mid-season 2 and I think 3 is the strongest season overall, but I still liked seasons 4 and 5. If you're unhappy with the show, why do you still watch?
Because it can still churn out great episodes and even when it's "bad" it's enjoyable to watch... it's just not as good as it used to be. There are no Buffy episodes that I hate.

Its the episodes themselves I pay attention to, not the arc of a villain. Sure, Spike, Dru, and Angelous may have been better villains than Adam, but season 4 as a whole, with its character development and stories was just as good as any Buffy season. For me, a weak villain doesnt automatically collapse the entire season.
No, but it can really start to strain it. The arcs take up whole episodes all the time. And when the whole episodes are being taken over by Adam (who's not worthy of being a monster of the week) then it hurts the season. Season 4 did have a lot of good episodes. Most of them had anything to do with the main arc though. While is seasons 1, 2 and 3, all the great episodes had to do with the arcs, along with some good stand alones as well.

I'm not talking about just the main arc villians either, I'm thinking of the one shots and semi regulars as well. I remember cool villians like Luke, Judge, Darla, Kakistos, Mr Trick... Hell, I'd even take The Gorches, Kinderstod or a room full of others over the pathetic ones we've been getting for the last two years. The only ones I'd put in the cool catagory would be The Gentlemen and Sweet.

As for Faith, Angel and sex...

Spoiler:
At this point in time, Angel belived any sex would probably cause him to loose his soul. He would, therefore, never had sex with Faith. This is also confirmed a year later when Faith says she had sex with Buffy's boyfriend.. Angel remarks that they never did anything, and Faith says not him, but the new boyfriend... who Angel doesn't know about yet.
Old 11-17-01, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biz - okay, now I kind of see where you're coming from. I hope you weren't offended by my question. I didn't mean it in a dorky way. I know sometimes it's hard to come across well with out facial expressions. Adam didn't wow me, but I would think that if the situations in Sunnydale were real, eventually the government would notice and probably do something as stupid as they did. My favs from four are: The Freshman, Wild at Heart, The Initiative, Hush, The I in Team, This Year's Girl, Who Are You, New Moon Rising, The Yoko Factor, Primeval. Most of these deal with the arc. Some of the ones I didn't name, such as Doomed and A New Man, had moments that I really liked. BTW- with the Initiative shut down, I wonder what happened to Ethan Rayne?

Mostly in this season I think the advance of the characters are what was really well done.
Old 11-17-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually I liked the Initative. I thought they had a lot of potential, a shame it was then all about Riley and Adam while they turned them into a joke.
Old 11-19-01, 05:27 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The line that had me from the 'telepathy' episode:

Willow: 'Was it a boy demon?'

Old 11-19-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How old is Wesley? I'm watching the Prom episode on FX, and his reaction to Cordy is pretty funny, but Giles's reaction to Wesley's reaction to Cordy is even funnier.

It was sweet of Xander to pay off the dress for Cordy.

Since I've never seen Angel Season 1, I take it Cordy's turn of fortune and Wesley infatuation has both of them headed to L.A. to join Angel?
Old 11-19-01, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I a wuss boy for shedding a tear when Angel shows up at the end of the prom so Buffy would have a prom dance?
Old 11-19-01, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! I have to wait 22 hours before I get to see part 2 of Graduation Day!!!

I don't know how all you Buffy fans watched this show in "real" time because I'd be going nuts waiting a whole week between episodes.
Old 11-19-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Am I a wuss boy for shedding a tear when Angel shows up at the end of the prom so Buffy would have a prom dance?

Yes.....yes you are...

Great episode though...
Old 11-19-01, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmmm, do I really want to call Patman a wuss? Is he bigger than me? Yup. No, Patman, not a wuss.

As for watching in real time, what a pain-in-the-ass two parters are, but worse was seeing Becoming 2 and then having to wait all summer for Anne!!!!!
Old 11-19-01, 07:43 PM

I don't know either. I can't imagine trying to watch ten episodes a week in "real" time.

I also hate when they show two-part episodes a day apart. I rely on my TiVo to record the week's episodes and then I do a mini-marathon during the week and the weekend.

FYI - FX will be showing two episodes a day through the end of December with repeats every morning at 7:00 and 8:00 am. e/p. The repeats of the first season begin on December 21st.

AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! I have to wait 22 hours before I get to see part 2 of Graduation Day!!!

I don't know how all you Buffy fans watched this show in "real" time because I'd be going nuts waiting a whole week between episodes.

Last edited by dvdanon; 11-19-01 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-19-01, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is an ironic question. If you recall, this episode aired a few months after the school shootings outbreak. Something that happens
Spoiler:
Blowing up of the school
was deemed innapropiate by the WB, and so they canned the episode a few hours before it was supposed to air! Although many of us downloaded the episode, part 2 didn't offically air for another few months!

As for Wes and Cordy...
Spoiler:
Yes, you're right about Cordy, she goes to LA to try and be an actress, as for Wesley, I'm not going to tell you. I know you read spoilers too much and I don't want to ruin the surprise. I will tell you that Wesley doesn't start off as a regular on Angel
Old 11-19-01, 09:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by dvdanon
I don't know either. I can't imagine trying to watch ten episodes a week in "real" time.

I also hate when they show two-part episodes a day apart. I rely on my TiVo to record the week's episodes and then I do a mini-marathon during the week and the weekend.

FYI - FX will be showing two episodes a day through the end of December with repeats every morning at 6:00 and 7:00 am. e/p. The repeats of the first season begin on December 21st.

So what seasons will the be airing all the way through the end of December?

Are they going to give us seasons 4 and 5?

Please give as much details as possible.
Old 11-19-01, 10:41 PM

They will be airing Seasons 4 and 5 at 6:00 and 7:00 pm e/p and repeating at 7:00 and 8:00 am e/p (please note time correction) in December. There will be four episodes missing - Hush (Season 4) and Buffy vs. Dracula, The Body, and The Gift (Season 5).

Originally posted by agent_reyes

So what seasons will the be airing all the way through the end of December?

Are they going to give us seasons 4 and 5?

Please give as much details as possible.
Old 11-19-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you check out the Buffy FX page they lay out the whole FX Buffy schedule, and it appears that they will be showing season 4 and season 5, where it wraps up on December 21.

But there are those 4 pesky shows that won't be shown on by FX, but 3 of them will be shown as repeats on UPN due to syndication when Season 6 goes into reruns during December:

12/04/01
After Life (Season 6, episode 3)

12/11/01
Hush (Season 4, episode 10)

12/18/01
The Body (Season 5, episode 16)

I believe the only one that won't be shown soon is the Buffy/Dracula episode of season 4.
Old 11-20-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bah ... you're a hollow shell of a human if you don't tear up at sometime during 'The Prom'.

I'm loving seeing Season 3 again. I've shot my mouth off saying that they should have won tons of Emmys that year, and it's great to be reminded why I made that satement.

On the topic of the airings, if I recall, Graduation Day was only delayed a few weeks ... it was 'Earshot' that was yanked at the last minute, because of Jonathan's actions, and didn't appear until late in the Summer, early Fall.

das
Old 11-20-01, 09:55 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
For anyone who's interested, here's a list of the eps they are playing on Thanksgiving:

Welcome To The Hellmouth - Pt. 1
The Harvest - Pt. 2
Angel
Surprise
Innocence
Becoming - Pt. 1
Becoming - Pt. 2
The Wish
Doppelgangland
The Prom
Graduation Day - Pt. 1
Graduation Day - Pt. 2
Something Blue
Fool For Love

Pretty good lineup, if you ask me.

X
Old 11-20-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Xander
If you remove 'The Body', 'Hush', and 'The Gift' from the equation, this is a pretty good list.

das
Old 11-20-01, 10:14 AM

I would rather have had something else other than The Prom and Graduation Day 1 & 2...we just saw these last night and tonight. Good list though...I was hoping the first episode would be in there and Dopplegangland. Season 3 was some of the best TV ever made.
Old 11-20-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would rather see Revalations, The I in Team and Checkpoint.

The ones they're picking aren't bad, but too many from season 1.
Old 11-20-01, 11:51 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Xander
For anyone who's interested, here's a list of the eps they are playing on Thanksgiving:

Welcome To The Hellmouth - Pt. 1
The Harvest - Pt. 2
Angel
Surprise
Innocence
Becoming - Pt. 1
Becoming - Pt. 2
The Wish
Doppelgangland
The Prom
Graduation Day - Pt. 1
Graduation Day - Pt. 2
Something Blue
Fool For Love

Pretty good lineup, if you ask me.

X
Seasons 1-3 are well covered and I think the ones chosen have the essential story.

I'm assuming everyone has seen these by now, but read no further if you haven't.

Welcome to the Hellmouth/Harvest - can't have one without the other. Introduces the core Scoobies.
Angel - Angel revealed as a vampire and the death of Darla.
Surprise/Innocence - The two part Judge story and the turning of Angel.
Becoming 1&2 - Death of Angel
Wish/Doppelgangland - Both Anya/Alternate universe stories.
Prom/Graduation Day - The big finale to season 3.

The last two, as mentioned don't make it if they hadn't blocked off The Body and The Gift, but maybe will be more interesting now that Spike/Buffy are going in a different direction.

I'm also very glad FX is airing them in continuity order and not by how many votes each episode got.
Old 11-20-01, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

If you check out the Buffy FX page they lay out the whole FX Buffy schedule, and it appears that they will be showing season 4 and season 5, where it wraps up on December 21.

But there are those 4 pesky shows that won't be shown on by FX, but 3 of them will be shown as repeats on UPN due to syndication when Season 6 goes into reruns during December:

12/04/01
After Life (Season 6, episode 3)

12/11/01
Hush (Season 4, episode 10)

12/18/01
The Body (Season 5, episode 16)

I believe the only one that won't be shown soon is the Buffy/Dracula episode of season 4.
Thank you, but why won't UPN be showing new shows of Buffy for a whole month? I'm assuming your list of shows above will be aired on Tuesday nights, right? It seems unlikely that they'll waste a brand new episode on Christmas night, so that's the whole month of December without any new shows. Is that typical for this show? I know over the holidays some shows are pre-empted by specials and movies and such, but I've never seen a show or a network blow a show off for the entire month.

Also, why would UPN or whomever hold back Hush and the Body so that they could be aired on UPN when FX is showing seasons 1-5 supposedly in order for new (and old) Buffy fans? That seems odd to mess with the continuity and order of shows for no really good reason. I'm sure, especially for the newer fans, that these shows will make a lot more sense if they aired in order. On UPN they'll really only be good for fans of the show who've seen these episodes, while if they were shown on FX like the others they would be good for all.

PS-Could someone list the Buffy episodes that are just before and just after the episodes Hush and the Body, so that I can try and track down their spots on that FX page and what episode would the Buffy/Dracula have normally followed? Thanks.

Last edited by agent_reyes; 11-20-01 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

'Buffy' is notorious for going into long stretches without episodes. They'll likely disappear again in March. I think Season 3 was the worst where we had a couple episodes in February, one in March, and then it was May before we got something new. But every show does this their own way. We're only going to get 22 new episodes each year ... you have to organize them somehow.

On the topic of "new" fans, I'm probably being insesitive, but I think I'm done caring about their needs . I've put up with so much crap over the years for being a 'Buffy' fan that I guess I've become jaded. It's smart for UPN to hang on to those episodes ... they're great pieces of television and good filler for the inevitable reruns they have ahead. Better to see great episodes from recent seasons than a repeat of something we saw three weeks ago. Not everyone gets FX. It's a nice treat for the loyal viewers. If a new viewer is so far behind that they haven't seen 'Hush' or 'The Body' yet ... well ... tough. (Unfortunately, in this whack'd out world, some people get FX easier than UPN ...)

das
Old 11-20-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agent Reyes, on the FX network link I posted, there's a link to a complete Buffy Episode guide that list all of the episodes from season 1 to season 5 all in order. It's all there, so if you want to see where the missing episodes fit into the rest of the episodes, check it out.
Old 11-20-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PS-Could someone list the Buffy episodes that are just before and just after the episodes Hush and the Body, so that I can try and track down their spots on that FX page and what episode would the Buffy/Dracula have normally followed? Thanks.
You should verify this, but 'Hush' is episode 10 of Season 4. Should be right after 'Something Blue'. If I recall, they were going to air 'Amends' in its place. 'Buffy v. Dracula' is the Season 5 premiere, so I guess that would put it after 'Restless'. 'The Body' would be episode 16 of Season 5 and should be right after 'I Was Made to Love You'. I haven't checked FX's website in a while, so I don't know what's going to air in their place.

das
Old 11-20-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buffy Vs. Dracaula is the first ep of season 5 or 5x01 if you will. Little tounge in cheek there, but I liked it.

I don't mind if UPN airs HUSH and The Body, it would be nice if they did it to fit into the continuity on FX as well.

Also, most TV shows show the new stuff from the beginning of the season, through the November sweeps, repeats during the holidays, pick up new shows again from January through the February sweeps and then about a month of reruns, then new stuff through the end of the season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.