Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Crossing Jordan(10/29) - What is NBC doing to this show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished watching tonight’s episode of Crossing Jordan and it completely obvious that they aren't showing the episodes in order. Last week (or was it the week before?) Jordan was living in an apartment, but tonight’s episode had the subplot where her and her dad find the apartment. Now I'm stuck wondering about the end of the other episode where she invited some guy to stay with her- was that guy the same reporter that was introduced in this episode? I can't remember since at the time I'd never seen that character before and he wasn't explained in the episode.

I've never understood why networks would do this. NBC was also notorious for showing Homicide episodes out of order and, one episode guide that I read about homicide actually had to resort to reading the names of the murder victims on 'the board' that they used in the show to figure out exactly what order the episodes should've been shown in.

I realize that shows like this are episodic in nature, but there are threads of subplots that are placed in throughout several episodes that provide a continuous story. If the networks decide to show these out of order careful viewers (like me) are going to assume that the writers didn't care enough to explain how Jordan got from her father's house to an apartment (which was exactly my thought when I saw that previous episode) and their show is going to suffer because of it.
Old 10-30-01, 12:17 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Ha I gave up on it last week, the show was going nowhere no development, I really disliked the dad and daughter solve all the crimes piece.

the fact that every guy she meets wants to jump her bones is a bit old after a while to.

For those in SF, I think the folks from this show and from will & grace will be in town thursday @ ruby Skye for the launch of KNTV the new NBC channel.
Old 10-30-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the show was going nowhere no development
That's sort of my point. What little development there is on this show (and I agree it's not quite enough) is being lost on viewers by showing the episodes out of order.
Old 10-30-01, 02:11 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I agree...

Next thing we know... Miguel Ferrier's character will be chronically happy...
Old 10-30-01, 02:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I think there would be hope for the show, if they got rid of the dad, and just had her not be such a nancy drew.

The supporting cast around Jill are awesome, Miguel the indian guy the english guy all cool people.

What happened to her and his boss, the one episode had them all in the conference room, and some snide remarks, and then
poof dissapeared into thin air.

The show is trying to be CSI without being to close to CSI.

My fave show now one I really enjoy is Philly. this is great to watch.
Old 10-30-01, 03:21 PM

Re: Crossing Jordan(10/29) - What is NBC doing to this show?

Originally posted by Tscott
Now I'm stuck wondering about the end of the other episode where she invited some guy to stay with her- was that guy the same reporter that was introduced in this episode?
No, not the same man. The guy in the earlier (or should I say later ) episode was an ex-boyfriend from the west coast.

As soon as I realized that last night's episode was out of order I started listening for a remark about terrorism or something to explain why it might have been moved, but of course there was nothing. Idiots.

I do like this show, but the father/daughter victim/killer game thing has got to go! It might be clever if it was used once or twice a year, but on a weekly basis it makes the stories feel more like a formula than reality. And if she solves too many crimes, you'd think the cops would just hire her as a detective instead of butting heads with her.
Old 10-30-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It happens!!

It actually happens on most shows. It's usually more obvious on shows when they're starting out cause you'll notice stuff like she didn't have an apartment one week but she did the week before.

TV's wacky, adjust.
Old 10-30-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
And I do agree that they need to move away from the Nancy Drew stuff. If they moved more towards an ensemble show and featured the minor characters a little more the show could be so much more. As it stands they're kinda just comic relief while Jill does the real work.