Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I get WB and UPN affiliates on Dish Network?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-28-01, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to switch to Dish Network(don't think I can wait for them to buy Directv) because some friends of mine have it and can get a WB and a UPN affliliate. It's not the local affiliates because Dish doesn't carry them in the Dallas/Fort Worth affiliates. Do you think I can get a similar deal where I am able to get distant affiliates for WB and UPN(gotta have my Enterprise)? I should ask my friends and call Dish.
Old 10-28-01, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, i live in the dfw area too and i know we don't get affiliates like wb and upn on directv it sucks
Old 10-28-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Blaster1
hey, i live in the dfw area too and i know we don't get affiliates like wb and upn on directv it sucks
I called them and they didn't seem to think they would be getting them anywhere in the near future, so I probably about to jump ship.
Old 10-28-01, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what is going to happen to directv though when dish network buys it?
Old 10-28-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have local channels and the superstation package and get four or five each of wb and upn stations on Dish Network. This allows me to see or tape series when there's more than one thing showing that I want to see in the same time slot.
Old 10-28-01, 11:42 AM
Banned

Depending on your area, WB and/or UPN will be available in select markets on January 02, 2002.

Yes, I agree - DirecTV is behind the power-curve on this one, and may very-well lose customers as the end-result ...
Old 10-28-01, 11:43 AM
Banned

what is going to happen to directv though when dish network buys it?
Time will tell. Hopefully, easier access to WB/UPN, lower costs and more options ...

However, your "when" should be replaced with "if" ...

This is a long way from being finalized ...
Old 10-28-01, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My understanding is that the WB/UPN package is available for any and all Dish Network users. DirecTV will have WB/UPN stations available in some areas early next year. Not sure why they've taken different legal approaches.
Old 10-28-01, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by adamblast
My understanding is that the WB/UPN package is available for any and all Dish Network users. DirecTV will have WB/UPN stations available in some areas early next year.

Not sure why they've taken different legal approaches.
1. You are 100% correct.

2. Because DirecTV loves to make their customers jump through unecessary hoops and red-tape over the simplest of things. DirecTV will say it's per FCC rules and regulations - the bottom line is they are full of sh!t ...

Old 10-28-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I really appreaciate Dish's greater willingness to push the envelope on channel/network availability... Since I live in "market area" 150-something... Now if they only had a decent PVR...

(Personally, unless I get local waivers or something, I'm stuck with cable until universal network coverage by satellite becomes a reality, if ever...)
Old 10-28-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem is that UPN and WB aren't networks in the legal sense. For whatever reason, DirecTv has chose to stay 100% legal.

Plus, with many local UPNs and WBs being added on Jan 1 as part of the Must Carry rule of the SHVIA there is no motivation for DirecTv to add a WB or UPN for everybody in Total Choice.

The must carry portion of the SHVIA is very clear.
If a DBS company chooses to carry one channel from a particular DMA on its system it MUST CARRY all full power TV stations within that DMA that request carriage under the must carry clause with the following exceptions:

Low Power TV stations are NOT eligible for must carry.

Full power repeater stations or stations that significantly duplicate programming of another full power station within the same DMA are not eligible for must carry. This does NOT mean that affiliates of networks that are carried nationally on DBS (Pax, Univision, Telemundo, HSN, TBN, etc) are ineligible for must carry.

Stations which have asked for ANY type of consideration for carriage on DBS are not eligible for must carry until the next election period (in four years--then every three years thereafter). This means that if a station group owner asks for any type of compensation to carry its stations (like saying "To carry this station you must carry that one."), DBS is not obligated to carry ANY of the stations in question until the next election period and then the same conditions apply.

Stations that cannot provide a "good quality" signal to the DBS's local point of presence (POP) are NOT eligible for must carry status. (This is still being fought in court) If the station's signal is not of "good enough" quality at the POP, the station has to get a "good enough" signal to the POP at their expense. (Fiber, microwave, etc)

* So, in short, most cities will see many new channels come 1/1/02 when the must carry provision kicks in. But not all areas will get all stations in their market.
Old 10-28-01, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JMLEWIS1
* So, in short, most cities will see many new channels come 1/1/02 when the must carry provision kicks in. But not all areas will get all stations in their market.
I'm still fighting for my network stations. Is there a loophole or anything to getting these damn_things? I know people in my area that are LEGALLY getting the NY and LA feeds! They didn't go the waiver route, they called and are getting channels 380-389!

Old 10-28-01, 07:26 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Soup Nazi

1. You are 100% correct.

2. Because DirecTV loves to make their customers jump through unecessary hoops and red-tape over the simplest of things. DirecTV will say it's per FCC rules and regulations - the bottom line is they are full of sh!t ...

Wow. If I ever get a satellite, looks like I'll be going with Dish. We don't even get a UPN affiliate with cable.
Old 10-28-01, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Wow. If I ever get a satellite, looks like I'll be going with Dish. We don't even get a UPN affiliate with cable.
With all this merger/buy-out talk, you may be buying DISH TV ...