Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I just saw a commercial for Buffy the Musical??

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess in next week's episode, they're all singing and dancing. The commercial showed Buffy, Giles, Willow and Spike all singing in a studio and some dancers in another studio practicing.
Spoiler:
There was also a scene with Xander and Anya doing their own dance number.
This looks interesting. I didn't even know that some of them could sing.
Old 10-25-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not next week ... it's in two weeks on Nov 6.

das
Old 10-25-01, 11:51 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FYI

Next week is the Halloween episode - the musical is on Nov. 6 but is being heavily promoted, due to its novelty I guess.
Old 10-25-01, 11:52 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm actually looking forward to this episode.

It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I wonder if it will follow the current storyline or just be some isolated episode.
Old 10-25-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

UPN has been advertising it pretty heavily this week. It could be pretty good, or it could be horrible. I'm keeping an open mind.
Old 10-25-01, 12:09 PM

Re: I just saw a commercial for Buffy the Musical??

Originally posted by tofubomb
This looks interesting. I didn't even know that some of them could sing.

I thought James Marster had some rock-n-roll band for a while?
Old 10-25-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me throw in my opinion here....this musical episode looks like it could be the most ridiculous thing ever. Cop Rock. Ring any bells? I'd like to be open-minded about this, but it just seems stupid to me. Flame on.

Old 10-25-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone else see the Spike singing snippet and instantly think LESTAT!

Let's hope Joss throws in some jibes at Anne Rice's bread-and-butter. It just fits too perfectly, not to.
Old 10-25-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Buffy has now jumped the shark!
Old 10-25-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Damfino

das
Old 10-25-01, 01:26 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
[B]Let me throw in my opinion here....this musical episode looks like it could be the most ridiculous thing ever. Cop Rock. Ring any bells? I'd like to be open-minded about this, but it just seems stupid to me. Flame on.
The musical is only one episode, unlike Cop Rock.

I see it as an experiment, much like the 'silent' episode last year.
Anything to break up the 'episodic' nature of television is fine with me.
Old 10-25-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrN

The musical is only one episode, unlike Cop Rock.

I see it as an experiment, much like the 'silent' episode last year.
Anything to break up the 'episodic' nature of television is fine with me.
Agreed. This is not a publicity stunt, even though UPN will promote it as such. This is Joss trying to push the envelope of television as far as he can. 'Hush' and 'The Body' are two such examples that not only represent some of the best of 'Buffy' but the best of television. It just makes me tingle inside to think of 'The Body' ... my God, that was some great television.

Will this be successful? I have no idea. But it's attempts like this that separate 'Buffy' from the pack of rip-off teen dramas.

das
Old 10-25-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Will this be successful? I have no idea. But it's attempts like this that separate 'Buffy' from the pack of rip-off teen dramas.
I was gonna side with Zeus until I read your post. Still leaning in that direction, because I can't think of a reasonable excuse for it to happen. What, they all fall under a Broadway spell? On the positive side, this could bring Lorne out of his funk.

I'll wait and see. das is not someone I'm comfortable betting against. Plus, while it sounds like a gamble, I have to wonder if Joss would get studio support if the idea wasn't reasonable. (I also wonder if Joss NEEDS studio support.??)
Old 10-25-01, 11:06 PM

I'm a spoiler junkie, as I've previously stated. I'm also extremely critical of the show since Season 4--I tend to only like half the newer episodes, and love very few. That said, I'm looking forward to the musical. UPN's playing it as the ultra-gimmick, but I'm pretty much convinced this is going to go down as a great episode.

Now, a small public service announcement:

Joss (or someone who stole one of his computers) has made it known that the musical ep. is going to ring in at 8 minutes over--Nobody's said if the show's going to run over, or if they're going to cut out commercials (the average ep is about 44 minutes; the musical is apparently going to be 52). Given the unbelievable amount of money UPN's spending per money, I'd bet they'd want to wring as much money out of the commercials as possible. So, those of you who record might want to set the VCR for an additional 10 or so minutes.

I wonder if it will follow the current storyline or just be some isolated episode.
(Spoiler relates directly to answering above question--no plot points revealed)

Spoiler:
It follows the current story. The musical can be considered the first major turning-point ep of the season. It's one of those "Some *major* stuff goes down and huge secrets are revealed. " type eps.

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 10-25-01 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a big fan of Buffy (never watched it to get into it), but it seems similar sort of in a weird not really direct way to Xena. And Xena had several singing episodes which I really enjoyed... heck, they rate in my top favorites for the whole run of the show I think. So just cuz they're doing something fun and new, albeit campy, it doesn't mean they're selling out or "jumping the shark".

With shows like this you need to enjoy it for what it is. If you're going into it expecting a regular Buffy episode then you'll really be disappointed. If you go into it expecting to have some laughs and see the cast have some fun and really make fools of themselves then you just might enjoy it.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-26-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I was gonna side with Zeus until I read your post. Still leaning in that direction, because I can't think of a reasonable excuse for it to happen. What, they all fall under a Broadway spell? On the positive side, this could bring Lorne out of his funk.

Ummm Lorne? I believe he's on Angel not Buffy. Get some sleep. Unless that was a joke?
Old 10-26-01, 07:00 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks Jlbkwrm.
Now I am looking forward to the episode even more then I was before.
Old 10-26-01, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Ummm Lorne? I believe he's on Angel not Buffy. Get some sleep. Unless that was a joke?

No joke. Just another blonde attack. My bad.

Old 10-26-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Damfino
Let's see, network change, musical episode, hmmm...

If they haven't jumped it, they're starting up the ramp.
Old 10-26-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Jason

Let's see, network change, musical episode, hmmm...

If they haven't jumped it, they're starting up the ramp.
Uh, let's see. How about "an episode with NO dialogue for 30 minutes". Just because they're trying something new doesn't mean they're "jumping the shark". And they are still making the same show they made on the crappy frog network. But I digress. My point for posting was to give a little info to the person who asked WHY they are singing in that ep. Here's some info from the TV Guide blurb:

Spoiler:

Apparently, a demon comes to SD and casts a spell that causes all the gang to want to sing/dance out their innermost thoughts, or something like that.

I, for one, am REALLY excited about this ep. Amber Benson, Anthony Head, and James Marsters are all really good musicians/singers in real life. Anthony Head was Dr. Frankenfurter in Rocky Horror in England for a long time. And James Marsters currently sings in clubs in L.A. Just a little FYI.

X
Old 10-26-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Scheherazade
I'm not a big fan of Buffy (never watched it to get into it), but it seems similar sort of in a weird not really direct way to Xena. And Xena had several singing episodes which I really enjoyed... heck, they rate in my top favorites for the whole run of the show I think. So just cuz they're doing something fun and new, albeit campy, it doesn't mean they're selling out or "jumping the shark".

~Scheherazade
One of the reasons I always had a lot of respect for Xena was that they took some very bold chances like this. I always enjoyed the characters, but I probably only liked half of the episodes. But it was unique and innovative and unpredictable, and I loved waiting to see what they'd try next. For the most part, television is incredibly repetitive and stale ... I applaud any show for trying something a little out of the ordinary.

das
Old 10-26-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wizdar
das is not someone I'm comfortable betting against./QUOTE]

To quote Spock ... "that is wise."

To be honest, I really don't know what to expect. But Joss sits next to jms and Michael Jordan on the top of my list of people I make sure not to underestimate. They've done an episode with no dialogue, and it was great. They did an episode with no music, and it was freakin' incredible. Now they're doing a musical. Regardless of how successful this attempt is, I'm already tipping my hat to Joss. It takes some brass ones to try these things with an already successful show. And something tells me we're in for something special once again ...

das
Old 10-26-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Xander

Spoiler:

Apparently, a demon comes to SD and casts a spell that causes all the gang to want to sing/dance out their innermost thoughts, or something like that.

X
That sounds hilarious!
Old 10-28-01, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i loved the "musical" concept they did on Hercules and Xena .. they had some funky ideas in those 2

I whish they had done a musical episode on TNG
Old 10-28-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by caipirina
I whish they had done a musical episode on TNG
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.