Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

One and Only Popstars 2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One and Only Popstars 2 Thread

So who's gonna watch tonight? I know I am...I religiously watched the original last season.....

On a side note, if you guys haven't seen Eden's Crush in the new issue of FHM....you're missing out!

Old 10-18-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my friend michael rand is going to be on that show. He went to my college. So he emailed everyone telling me he was in the commercial or something. Hopefully this will be his big break.

Old 10-18-01, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by thejammy
my friend michael rand is going to be on that show. He went to my college. So he emailed everyone telling me he was in the commercial or something. Hopefully this will be his big break.

What does he look like (in case they don't introduce him by name)?

Old 10-22-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I watched Popstars 2 last night, since I taped it. So far, the talent looks pretty crappy. That one dude, Moi, looked like he's got some talent, though.

The girl in the wheelchair had a very good voice, and even though she made the cut, the sad reality is that she'll probably never be a popstar because of her physical handicap.

The judges are pretty brutal...especially Jaymes Foster-Levy....what a biatch! She must be David Foster's sister....they're both bastards....

Anybody else watch?

Old 10-22-01, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I think the judges (and producers) are being disingenuous for selecting
the girl in the wheelchair to the next round when they know there is no
way in hell she will be selected for the group. I mean this is a pop group and
last I've seen, they all seem to need to dance.
It's like inviting the overweight woman back last season. Gimme a break. FAKE
drama and Political correctness

Last edited by chowderhead; 10-22-01 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chowderhead
I think the judges (and producers) are being disingenuous for selecting
the girl in the wheelchair to the next round when they know there is no
way in hell she will be selected for the group. I mean this is a pop group and
last I've seen, they all seem to need to dance.
It's like inviting the overweight woman back last season. Gimme a break. FAKE
drama and Political correctness
Yeah, I think everybody and their momma knows that the girl in the wheelchair won't make it....I'm still wondering why they decided to give her a call back. Like I said, she had a great voice, but it's obvious that she won't be able to do other things that other popstars do (i.e., dance). I don't think it's "fake" drama, though, since I think everybody knows she won't make it very far anyway.

Old 11-09-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I didn't watch lastnight's episodes (I taped them so I could watch Friends and The Tick), so I don't have anything to say right now.

Mods, since there's another Popstars thread, could you maybe merge the two? Either that, or I can delete this one, it doesn't matter....just a thought.

Old 11-27-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are now 10 Finalists....who will be the 5 chosen (I assume that there will be 5)?

http://www.popstarsusa.com/faces/index.html

-Donavan
-Dorothy
-Jahzeel
-Josh
-Katie
-Laurie
-Moises (Moi)
-Monika
-Shannon
-Tenia

Right now, I think the 5 will be Donavan, Katie, Moi, Monika, and Shannon.

I really hope they don't go with Josh....the only reason he's made it this far is because of his looks. I hope the producers don't use him to pull in the teenage girl crowd. He's a pretty good dancer (although he obviously has a problem taking directions), but I don't think his voice is all that great.

Out of the 5 I picked, I would say that the only sure ones are Donavan and Katie. If they don't make the group, I'll certainly be surprised.

Old 11-27-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
There are now 10 Finalists....who will be the 5 chosen (I assume that there will be 5)?

Right now, I think the 5 will be Donavan, Katie, Moi, Monika, and Shannon.

My friend and I were just discussing this. My guesses were (we heard there were 6):
Donavan
Josh
Moi
Katie
Laurie
Shannon

She had some possible spoiler info (that I let her tell me - Popstars is different from other shows ) on who the 6 were:
Spoiler:

Donavan
Josh
Moi
Laurie (I was right until here) - I had a smilie but then it showed up in the spoiler tags - don't want to give anything away to those who choose not to read the spoilers, and the grin did that
Dorothy (she was my next choice)
Tenia (solo artist in my mind)

As to Katie not being chosen, I can only think that it was because she looks too much like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, and they wanted an original look.

Don't know where she got her info, so it could be wrong!

and a surprise also
Spoiler:
Moi gets kicked off for something in his past, possibly drugs, and a new guy gets added to the group.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 11-27-01 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-27-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

My friend and I were just discussing this. My guesses were:
Donavan
Josh
Moi
Katie
Laurie

She had some possible spoiler info (that I let her tell me - Popstars is different from other shows ) on who the 6 (apparently there are going to be 6) were:
Spoiler:

Donavan
Josh
Moi
Laurie (I was right until here )
Dorothy (if I had known there would be 6 I would have chosen her )
Tenia (solo artist in my mind)

As to Katie not being chosen, I can only think that it was because she looks too much like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, and they wanted an original look.

and a surprise also
Spoiler:
Moi gets kicked off for something in his past, possibly drugs, and a new guy gets added to the group.
Wow are you serious!?!?! I had a hard time picking between
Spoiler:
Tenia and Shannon...but thought they might go for Shannon cause she has a cute, All-American girl look (but she looked like she screwed up in the final performance)...but Tenia is pretty hot as well.

I also thought
Spoiler:
Laurie was pretty good....and the makeover they did on her was incredible!

Spoiler:
I really don't like Josh. IMO, they're picking him for something other than his singing/dancing ability...but then again, I guess they need someone who can bring in all the teenage girls....

As far as your surprise....wow.
Spoiler:
I guess that's somewhat comparable to last year's show in adding Maile at the end....I don't want to come off sounding like a bigot or something (cause I'm not ), but maybe Moi got kicked out because of gang-related problems in his past? I mean, he is from LA, right?

Old 11-27-01, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zeus - I edited my original message a little b/c I remembered that I knew that there would be 6 (she told me before I guessed who they were) so I forgot about Shannon being on my list. I too had a hard time choosing - they're all really talented in my book.

As to your issue
Spoiler:
with Josh - I pretty much agree. He doesn't have as much talent, but I figured they'd choose him based on looks. Though in my book Moi is the better looking guy, if you take away his attitude and "style" - I care not at all for anything "street." My friend was unclear as to the exact reason he gets booted, so your guess could be right.

And as for the girls
Spoiler:
I too thought that Laurie's transformation was incredible! And Shannon is just so darn pretty and wholesome, I thought for sure they'd pick her (even braces look good on her - grr ).

I had a really hard time choosing between Katie, Dorothy and Monika - they're all beautiful and have a popstar quality imo. I went with Katie because she has a proven look (as I said before with her dopplegangers) but Dorothy is an individual (remember how Jaymes went on about her unique pink skirt?) and Monika is just so darn beautiful, so the choice was tough. Looks like they went with "style" as the final determinant, at least imho, as Dorothy definitely has it.

I disagree with their last choice completely - Tenia has a solo-artist's voice and isn't a very good dancer, so she should have been cut for the same reason as that blond girl from the earlier episodes (you know, the one who got sick and couldn't dance that first day). But then I'm NOT paid the big bucks to make these decisions, lol!
Old 11-27-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zeus - I edited my original message a little b/c I remembered that I knew that there would be 6 (she told me before I guessed who they were) so I forgot about Shannon being on my list. I too had a hard time choosing - they're all really talented in my book.
Looks like me, you, and your friend are the only ones who watch this show...

As to your issue
Spoiler:
with Josh - I pretty much agree. He doesn't have as much talent, but I figured they'd choose him based on looks. Though in my book Moi is the better looking guy, if you take away his attitude and "style" - I care not at all for anything "street." My friend was unclear as to the exact reason he gets booted, so your guess could be right.
Spoiler:
Well, I guess I wouldn't blame them for including Josh...it's all about marketing....I mean, I don't think Britney Spears is all that talented (though I must admit that I'm a fan of hers....and the other teeny-bopper acts out right now), but she has a great management team...which is why she's so popular. Christina Aguilera and Jessica Simpson are far more talented vocally, IMHO. However, Brit does dance a lot better than either of them.

It'd be a shame to see Moi get booted. I mean, yeah, he has an attitude and everything, but I kinda feel bad for him cause it seems like he's had a pretty rough life. He's not as good of a singer as some of the others are, but he can definitely dance well. Oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait until Thursday to see how everything shakes out.

And as for the girls
Spoiler:
I too thought that Laurie's transformation was incredible! And Shannon is just so darn pretty and wholesome, I thought for sure they'd pick her (even braces look good on her - grr ).
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, Shannon's a cutie. She kinda reminds of of Mandy Moore with her wholesome-yet-I can be sexy if I need to be-look. ( <----because Mandy's not legal )

I had a really hard time choosing between Katie, Dorothy and Monika - they're all beautiful and have a popstar quality imo. I went with Katie because she has a proven look (as I said before with her dopplegangers) but Dorothy is an individual (remember how Jaymes went on about her unique pink skirt?) and Monika is just so darn beautiful, so the choice was tough. Looks like they went with "style" as the final determinant, at least imho, as Dorothy definitely has it.
Spoiler:
I figured they'd want Katie because she has that look. Also, she obviously has a dance background and sings well. I wasn't too thrilled with Dorothy's choice of clothing (I guess I would have picked something different if I was female), but she certainly has individuality. I think her friend (Lian Ellis, I think was her name) will be genuinely happy for her if she makes the group.

I disagree with their last choice completely - Tenia has a solo-artist's voice and isn't a very good dancer, so she should have been cut for the same reason as that blond girl from the earlier episodes (you know, the one who got sick and couldn't dance that first day). But then I'm NOT paid the big bucks to make these decisions, lol!
Spoiler:
Perhaps they chose Tenia because of her looks as well a la Josh....she certainly has the look of a popstar....otherwise, she could be an addition to Destiny's Child. RE: the blonde...she didn't deserve to make the final cut so I thought that was a good cut.
Which reminds me...

I'm glad that one girl (from Miami, I think) who got really far last year didn't make it this year....she just had a bad attitude....and seemed like she felt she could breeze her way through everything because she had made it so far last year. I give her credit for losing weight and trying to make herself "better", but she should have tried to better her attitude while she was at it. She was pretty irritating....

Old 11-27-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...I'm glad that one girl (from Miami, I think) who got really far last year didn't make it this year....she just had a bad attitude....and seemed like she felt she could breeze her way through everything because she had made it so far last year. I give her credit for losing weight and trying to make herself "better", but she should have tried to better her attitude while she was at it. She was pretty irritating....

I couldn't agree more. I liked her so much last year - she seemed sweet and caring. This year? She was attitude-queen. I was SO angry when she insisted on having a lead vocal part so she could shine, then didn't even know the friggin words when they went to perform! That alone would have her cut in my book. I hated her attitude so very much. Not that I have an opinion on it or anything.

re: the jailbait - I'm in a similar boat with Jared Padalecki on Gilmore Girls - talk about a cutie! But I think he does squeak in at 18.
Old 11-29-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 6 pop stars will be chosen tonight! Don't forget to tune in!

Old 11-29-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 6 pop stars will be chosen tonight! Don't forget to tune in!

I'm totally excited to find out who they are - silly eh?
Old 11-29-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm totally excited to find out who they are - silly eh?
Yup...I feel like a silly little schoolgirl.....oops, too much information...

Old 11-29-01, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup...I feel like a silly little schoolgirl.....oops, too much information...

LOL! I'm freaking out! I'm just screaming along with the winners and my cats are looking at me like I'm a crazy person.

Spoiler:
YAY for Donavan and Dorothy!!!!! So far we're both one for two.
Old 11-29-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I'm just gonna keep posting to myself so I can pretend like I'm talking to someone.

Spoiler:
So looks like the rumor my friend heard was part right and part wrong - no Shannon but no Tenia either. I guess they thought what I did - she's fantastic, but more of a solo artist. I hope she realizes that it's not that she's not good enough, but that the fit wasn't right, which doesn't feel like much consolation when you're sad but truly is a difference. Shannon seemed to be able to cope with the decision better - I'm guessing her faith in her religion will be a huge comfort to her.
Old 11-29-01, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, after watching the whole thing,
Spoiler:
looks like I was 4 for 6 - but 3 for 3 with the guys. I'm thrilled for the winners, and so sad for those that didn't make the group. Somehow whatever shows I watch seem to worm their way into my heart so I actually care about the people. And it looks like that other rumor my friend heard is going to surface for real next week.
Old 11-30-01, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, WarriorPrincess, your friend was pretty good on what she told you...

Spoiler:
Shannon took the news extremely well...maybe too well. You're right....maybe it was her faith in God that allowed her to take the news so graciously....

Umm....what the heck was up with Monika's little "kitchen" set up? Two little electric burners? What the hell? I was , but then I thought that maybe that's all she could afford or something....
Spoiler:
Guess she'll be able to afford something a little better in the future.

Spoiler:
I still don't really care for the selection of Josh...but hey, I'm not a talent scout so what the heck do I know?

Of course I thought Donovan and Moi were great picks...looks like your friend was on the money about Moi getting kicked out too....I'm really curious to find out why he gets the boot, though.

I almost got teary-eyed when they broke the news to Laurie.......just seeing her family and friend react to the good news....wow.

As for the ones who didn't make it....gees, you can't help but sympathize with them. Personally, I think I'd rather be cut on the very first day instead of getting so close and then being cut. To have fame, fortune, and your dreams come so close...and then not having it come to fruition....

Old 12-06-01, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zeus, I just noticed your name change - what's it in reference to?

Anyway, as to tonight's Popstars -
Spoiler:
guess reality has set in - lead singers vs. back up singers. Not a surprise. And I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see who leaves, but I think my friend was right and it'll be Moi. This episode was nowhere near as fun - very little talent shown, mostly fighting. Hope next week is back on track.
Old 12-06-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't read your spoiler cause I'm taping tonight's episode (I'm on the west coast, so the show hasn't come on yet over here...and I think I'll be working late tonight).

Anyway, my temporary name change was due to the following thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=164117

Basically, I just wanted everyone to vote on a temporary name change for fun. Originally, Captain Scrotum was ballsack, but an Administrator changed it to Captain Scrotum. And well, this picture will explain why I'm now Capt Samuel Jackson:

Yeah, we're a bunch of silly, immature fools in the Other Forum, but it's all in fun.

Old 12-06-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ROFLMAO! Thanks for the laughs, Captain.

I'm actually in CA, but dish gives me 3 different wb feeds, so I watch the east coast run of popstars while Farscape tapes in the other room
Old 12-06-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ROFLMAO! Thanks for the laughs, Captain.

I'm actually in CA, but dish gives me 3 different wb feeds, so I watch the east coast run of popstars while Farscape tapes in the other room
You're welcome.

Here are two more related threads for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...aptain+scrotum

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...aptain+scrotum

Old 12-07-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Zeus, I just noticed your name change - what's it in reference to?

Anyway, as to tonight's Popstars -
Spoiler:
guess reality has set in - lead singers vs. back up singers. Not a surprise. And I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see who leaves, but I think my friend was right and it'll be Moi. This episode was nowhere near as fun - very little talent shown, mostly fighting. Hope next week is back on track.
Yup, last night's episode sucked....I hate it when they claim that such and such is going to happen and it doesn't and they say it'll happen in the next episode....AARGGHH!

I think it was a bad idea to tell them so early on who the 3 lead signers are and who the backups are. Obviously, it caused a huge rift in the group....or maybe they did that to create some drama. I dunno. They should've held off and told them that a little later, though. It sucks when egos get in the way. They all should just be happy that they're in the group, regardless of what their roles are. But then again, if I had that kind of talent, I guess I'd want to shine and show everybody what I have, so I can understand why their feelings might be hurt.

Spoiler:
As for Moi getting kicked off....here's another guess as to why he gets kicked off. Maybe he got super frustrated with his role in the group and all the bickering...and he calls up one of his friends or his girlfriend or something. Or maybe even visits one of them (which I think is against the rules since they're supposed to break off contact with the outside world and be incognito). That's probably not reason enough to kick him out of the group, though....just a wild guess. It's more likely that it's something related to his past (i.e., gangbanging) or something like that.

I'm beginning to wonder why you and I are using spoiler tags since we're the only ones discussing this....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.